UPDATE: More than 6,000 Diarrhea Patients in Phuket, 70% Infected with Norovirus

webfact

Viral digestive outbreak strikes over 6,000 people in Phuket

By Peter Roche

image.jpeg
PHOTO: Flickr/Mommy MundoXYZ

We suspect a lot more. A digestive virus that causes diarrhoea and vomiting has spread across Phuket affecting, officially, nearly 6,400 people so far, according to a Nation Thailand report. Dr Kusak Kukiattikul from the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office says that yesterday’s patient count was the highest since June 8.

It’s understood the virus has affected adults and children, Thais and foreigners, with symptoms including diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, and fever. Health officials on the island are rolling out containment measures to prevent the virus spreading, with a confirmed total of 6,382 infected between June 5 and June 12.

According to Dr Kusak, around 70% of those infected have been diagnosed with norovirus, which spreads rapidly and causes inflammation of the digestive system. However, the number of patients with diarrhoea is now starting to drop, according to the doctor, and school students who first reported symptoms have now recovered.

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuket-news/viral-digestive-outbreak-strikes-over-6000-people-in-phuket/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-06-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

Only time in over 30 years here getting severe diarrhoea was from eating mud crab in a 5 star hotel in Pattaya.  Cant remember the name of the hotel, maybe thats for the best lol.  I never hesitate with ice and water when Im out.

• Thanks 1

My friend and I were suppose to get together for a night. He called me up in the afternoon and said I've got diarrhea and I feel awful, I have to cancel. I said, I was just about to call you, I have the exact same symptoms. I'd been reading online and said this might be Norovirus.

It was. Norovirus was for me the worst I've ever felt. Constantly on the toilet, feeling like someone punched me in the face, aches, pains, omg it was bad. The weirdest thing...I never had a fever yet I felt like I had a high fever. Norovirus was truly the worst 48 hours I can remember...and then it was over. So weird!

I have no idea where I got it. My wife never got it she was always with me, yet it's incredibly contagious. 

28 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I remember having a quick beer in the transit lounge at Mumbai Airport one night. As I drained the glass I caught sight of the bottom of the glass. I just made it to Suvarnabhumi before Ghandi's revenge struck!

Never had a problem with ice or glasses here, but anywhere in India or Bangladesh, only drink from a bottle, and make sure it is sealed when you buy it.

The way you can tell you have ice from a factory here in Thailand is the cylindrical shape and hole in the middle.  Made using proper equipment, yet sometimes that can be bad as well if the equipment is not cleaned or sanitized, and why I mentioned in my comment above about them checking the factories which bottle water and make Ice.  For those that get there water from a machine at 1 baht per liter how do you know the machines filter is not old and nasty.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Question for them would be: Did you send inspectors to all of the Ice factories and water companies who bottle water.

Ice I would say is a good carrier bacteria, used in most drinks and the source of water used for ice is dodgy to say the least.

The other thing is the source of water used to wash/clean anything in the food chain.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I worked in a cruise ship. And we got it. Many passengers and a lot of the crew got sick. We got two experts on board in the next port to help us get rid of it. It was a lot of work and gallons of chloride before the ship was declared clean of the virus. Even one of the experts got sick. I managed to avoid it. Probalby because I wash my hands all the time. Keep your hands clean and try to avoid any who may have it. It spreads by air and touch and is very contagious. According to NHS alcohol based sanitizers are not effective against this virus.

• Thanks 1

Well, after many, many years of no serious issues (discounting 24-hour stomach issues), I fell victim to this in Phuket whilst there 01-04 June. 6 days of straight diarrhea followed. Miserable. I ate the same food as two others, but had a mango shake and an iced milk tea, which others did not have. Lesson learned. 

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

One reason I never use ice ,even at fast food places ,no ice ,

plus you get more of the drink ,instead of the cup ben full of

ice ,

You'll have seen the way they transport ice to restaurants ,on

the back of a truck in dirty sacks ,tipped into containers that i bet 

are never cleaned.....ever.

regards worgeordie

And unloaded from trucks with shovels whilst the guy stands on the ice "barefoot"...

Seen over and over again...

• Thanks 1

I had it a couple of weeks ago, I put it down to a Dodgy toasted sandwich that I eat about 9-30 in the morning sure enough when I got the packet out of the bin, it was past it's sell by date, 

Sorry to say, but I’ve always found that Thailand has a huge problem with storing food and general hygiene. I’ve seen it too many times to count. One that shocks me the most are the buffets , where anyone can touch and breathe on , cough on , and the cutlery used for serving has been used by how many people ?? Ladies coming out of the toilets and passing the wash basins, very often !! I suppose the men’s toilets are the same . Those seafood boats where they are full of fish and shellfish all day exposed to heat, then put back in the fridges . I’ve even seen pork chops on display in phuket , wrapped in cling film on display, obviously frozen, then unsold and put back into those portable coolers with ice. Coughing sneezing and not using a tissue or the elbow ! I was recently in Bali, and in a five star hotel at breakfast, a Chinese man sneezed 10 times over the whole table , over the salt and pepper pots etc. I had to call a waitress to tell him to sanitize that table when they left , which they did. That said, I find Asians quite clean in personal hygiene, and most times look cleaner than some of the sweating tourists ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I remember having a quick beer in the transit lounge at Mumbai Airport one night. As I drained the glass I caught sight of the bottom of the glass. I just made it to Suvarnabhumi before Ghandi's revenge struck!

Never had a problem with ice or glasses here, but anywhere in India or Bangladesh, only drink from a bottle, and make sure it is sealed when you buy it.

I drank water from tap once in Laos....ONCE........learned a life lesson that day..and days after

7 minutes ago, geisha said:

Sorry to say, but I’ve always found that Thailand has a huge problem with storing food and general hygiene. I’ve seen it too many times to count. One that shocks me the most are the buffets , where anyone can touch and breathe on , cough on , and the cutlery used for serving has been used by how many people ?? Ladies coming out of the toilets and passing the wash basins, very often !! I suppose the men’s toilets are the same . Those seafood boats where they are full of fish and shellfish all day exposed to heat, then put back in the fridges . I’ve even seen pork chops on display in phuket , wrapped in cling film on display, obviously frozen, then unsold and put back into those portable coolers with ice. Coughing sneezing and not using a tissue or the elbow ! I was recently in Bali, and in a five star hotel at breakfast, a Chinese man sneezed 10 times over the whole table , over the salt and pepper pots etc. I had to call a waitress to tell him to sanitize that table when they left , which they did. That said, I find Asians quite clean in personal hygiene, and most times look cleaner than some of the sweating tourists ! 

Thai's know nothing about refrigeration and how to store food you will find these mom and pop shops they turn the fridges of at night, washing their hands after using the toilet it's not a Thai thing, I noticed that a long time ago, I have a friend who has a good restaurant he told me they will take stuff out of the freezer then put it back later he said to me he cannot make them understand.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Viral digestive outbreak strikes over 6,000 people in Phuket

By Peter Roche

image.jpeg
PHOTO: Flickr/Mommy MundoXYZ

We suspect a lot more. A digestive virus that causes diarrhoea and vomiting has spread across Phuket affecting, officially, nearly 6,400 people so far, according to a Nation Thailand report. Dr Kusak Kukiattikul from the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office says that yesterday’s patient count was the highest since June 8.

It’s understood the virus has affected adults and children, Thais and foreigners, with symptoms including diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, and fever. Health officials on the island are rolling out containment measures to prevent the virus spreading, with a confirmed total of 6,382 infected between June 5 and June 12.

According to Dr Kusak, around 70% of those infected have been diagnosed with norovirus, which spreads rapidly and causes inflammation of the digestive system. However, the number of patients with diarrhoea is now starting to drop, according to the doctor, and school students who first reported symptoms have now recovered.

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuket-news/viral-digestive-outbreak-strikes-over-6000-people-in-phuket/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-06-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

curious how much the thai "pretty" made taking that stock photo.....ooo look everyone im famous.....should have called Nong Olive...who im sure is desperate to get back in the limelight

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Thai's know nothing about refrigeration and how to store food you will find these mom and pop shops they turn the fridges of at night, washing their hands after using the toilet it's not a Thai thing, I noticed that a long time ago, I have a friend who has a good restaurant he told me they will take stuff out of the freezer then put it back later he said to me he cannot make them understand.

reason #986986 why i stopped cooking in LOS after 5 months...i was outnumbered....

26 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

curious how much the thai "pretty" made taking that stock photo.....ooo look everyone im famous.....should have called Nong Olive...who im sure is desperate to get back in the limelight

Nice rant but she's clearly not Thai...!