UPDATE: More than 6,000 Diarrhea Patients in Phuket, 70% Infected with Norovirus

webfact

3 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

The "Bum Gun" was quite busy this weekend in Phuket....55555.

And I wonder when they, (All of them in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter), were last cleaned?

How much cack builds up on them from the spray or on the trigger?

Followed by the tap turning - straight after a dump!

and of course, the impeccably clean towel provided that one might use............

3 hours ago, Bepah umayun said:

Is that the correct pose when one needs to throw up? 

I was just thinking about her height and how she is throwing up.

Is she kneeling or exceptionally short?

I'd do it from the rear.......

Vomit excluded, of course.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Ice I would say is a good carrier bacteria, used in most drinks and the source of water used for ice is dodgy to say the least.

The other thing is the source of water used to wash/clean anything in the food chain.

Back in 2005, I was doing Muay Thai down in Phuket.  I was watching my caloric intake and went to a small restaurant where I ordered a fresh salad.  Unbeknownst to me they were washing the vegetables out the back door with tap water from a hose......needless to say I ended up at the hospital with a bad case of bacterial dysentery, similar to the OP and was on an IV drip for 2 days, and yes, connected to the toilet when I was not sleeping.  Thai doctors seem to want it to run it's course and not give anything like imodium or such to help stop you up.  Lots of antibiotics.  Had a private room, and at the end of the 3rd day I was discharged with a bill of 21k Thb, all in all I was lucky.  Lost 5 kg so that was a bonus..... 

• Like 1

i used to buy the mini swiss roll cake from 7/11 until twice i unpacked them from the sealed airtight package but they had black mold on them.

Another time their spaghetti Bolognese dish had green mold on the spaghetti.

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, it´s horrific! However, not such a big problem. After living over 20 years in Thailand, I have never personally met anyone who had any problems with that.

I had big problems with it when I was in America, one person even tried to double the price when I said no ice.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Can't see this in the tourism brochures yet.

Thailand the land of Smiles, giggles and happiness. 

In small print

Bring your imodium and strong immune system

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

One reason I never use ice ,even at fast food places ,no ice ,

plus you get more of the drink ,instead of the cup ben full of

ice ,

You'll have seen the way they transport ice to restaurants ,on

the back of a truck in dirty sacks ,tipped into containers that i bet 

are never cleaned.....ever.

regards worgeordie

Every one is free to have their illusions. I lived many years here and drank all kinds, I don't remember getting diarrhea ever except once from some hamburger place. Ice is used not only in drinks. And speaking of drinks, unless you use only bottled or canned beverages they are also made from water transported in the same conditions as the ice, plastic jugs used over and over again. If you don't like how they transport ice to restaurants, how do you think they transport other raw ingredients? Do you go and inspect the kitchen of every restaurant you dine at? As for getting more drink without the ice, they are not stupid, they give you the same amount of drink unless you pay more. I should also think that a warm beverage is not exactly as refreshing as a cold one. Or do you drink only hot tea? But as I said, your choice.

Ate BBQ seafood from a Pattaya Beach vendor, lounging on a beach and random food vendors are not my usual thing, but a pal on the whole "two week millionaire experience" had arranged it.

Three days of fluids from both ends followed, we even missed the flight home. Luckily he had a two week millionaire girlfriend who ended up being very kind and ran errands for us both, we literally couldn't leave the hotel room without the risk of filling our shorts. 

I don't otherwise stress too much here, dodging everything with ice, and worrying about salads, it takes too much joy out of living.

I don't go and eat those giant pork knuckle stews, and other curries at food courts, that's a dish too far.  

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 2

When in third world countries, always beware of having drinks with ice. Drink from the bottle if unsure of ice quality. The appearance of the ice cubes can give a clue on the quality of the water. Crystal clear round ice pieces with a hole in the middle indicates the source is from an acceptable factory as the water was filtered and cooled at a certain temperature to give the crystal clear look. Opaque and irregular shaped ( chipped) ice pieces denote a fly by night operation . These ice are usually used for preserving seafood during transportation and not fit for consumption . 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Ate BBQ seafood from a Pattaya Beach vendor, lounging on a beach and random food vendors are not my usual thing, but a pal on the whole "two week millionaire experience" had arranged it.

Three days of fluids from both ends followed, we even missed the flight home. Luckily he had a two week millionaire girlfriend who ended up being very kind and ran errands for us both, we literally couldn't leave the hotel room without the risk of filling our shorts. 

I don't otherwise stress too much here, dodging everything with ice, and worrying about salads, it takes too much joy out of living.

I don't go and eat those giant pork knuckle stews, and other curries at food courts, that's a dish too far.  

Salads are a favourite of mine but in Thailand you are taking a chance that there is good hygiene practised in the restaurant kitchen . At best the veg are cleaned with tap water which could be compounding the problem . Thai folk definitely have a stronger constitution than westerners and suffer a lot less .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Thai's know nothing about refrigeration and how to store food you will find these mom and pop shops they turn the fridges of at night, washing their hands after using the toilet it's not a Thai thing, I noticed that a long time ago, I have a friend who has a good restaurant he told me they will take stuff out of the freezer then put it back later he said to me he cannot make them understand.

You are not totally correct , as follows . In my ladies restaurant I have sen Thai guys going out to the car park and trees etc to urinate , come back and carry on eating . All this despite the fact that we have a western standard customer toilet that is cleaned every day ( no cobwebs or filthy basins / toilet , plenty of tissues & kitchen roll to dry your hands ) , outside is another sink / basin for hand washing because some Thais are concerned about washing their hands inside the toilet and then having to touch the door handle to leave the toilet . So in summary some Thais have good hygiene habits and some do not

19 hours ago, sapson said:

i used to buy the mini swiss roll cake from 7/11 until twice i unpacked them from the sealed airtight package but they had black mold on them.

Another time their spaghetti Bolognese dish had green mold on the spaghetti.

Reminds me of the food poisoning I had from spaghetti a few years back !  Almost immediately I took ill, a friend took me to his nearby house where after two days practically unconscious and 2 visits from a doctor I finally came to. 
Another time on a trip back to Delhi after visiting the Taj Mahal. Dropped off at my hotel after about 20 toilet stops, again I was very sick for 2 days , doctor again.  I ate vegetarian all my time in India, it came from the breakfast in my 5 star hotel. So contaminated hands/ water.  There are a few different degrees of food poisoning, some much worse than others.  I was unlucky.  Since then I have been really choosy when eating out. 

• Like 1