Pictures of school lunches spark social media outrage

snoop1130

16 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ditch the rice and make it frank n beans.....beanie weenie!......

my GF commented on the size in the pic....looks about right ???? but double the fun!

still junk food....

15 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

We don't pay the additional fee for school lunches, but send them to school with a packed lunch.

Good for you. That's the way it was done when I was attending school. 

It says "sausages", that's processed (junk) food. I don't see any vegetables on that plate either. 

17 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's fairly standard Thai corruption.  Skimming, embezzlement, etc..

Thai corruption? US and UK nursing homes have been doing the same thing since time began.

People act like Thailand invented this stuff, when the countries they come from have been campaigning for years to stop feeding kids in schools dog<deleted>.

Edited by n00dle
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, djayz said:

Maybe the parents should put down theirs phones and ignore their TikToks, FB, YM, IG accounts for half an hour every morning and prepare a healthy packed lunch for their kids instead of being so outraged

"Say im a miserable old fok without saying I'm a miserable old fok"

Looks like a pretty pathetic performance for a private school. If I were the parent, rather than the typical and extremely weak "social media outrage", I would refuse to pay the 3,000 baht per month lunch fee, and pack a nice lunch for my kid. We used to do that back in the day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3,000 baht for the school lunch per semester? Given the Thai love for public, religious and royal holidays you can assume, that a semester 90 school days, i.e. 3'000 for 90 meals or 34 Baht/meal. As it is most likely outsourced servicing the operator wants to make some money. Go figure!

You get what you pay for and in this case the kiddos are the definite losers and explains the present state of affairs as far as health in children in Thailand (as well as most other countries) is concerned. Apart from missing basic needs of minerals, vitamins and salts the nutritional values of the pictured kitchen disaster is self-explanatory. 

My two year old always claims that he didn't eat anything for lunch at his private Thai kindergarten or just ate blueberries which he takes with him and seems to eat quite a lot when he gets home.  There is menu but he always says he didn't get chicken with rice and soup or whatever was on the menu that day.  The missus and some other mothers on the LINE group have asked the teacher to post photographs of the kids having lunch but she never does.  I wonder why not. She posts pictures of the kids in the classroom and in the playground. Difficult to get to the bottom of it as two year olds always like to deny everything and often talk nonsense for fun. 

19 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

the vendors selling sh*t outside approve this thread.....

My missus makes a killing on selling chicken nuggets and chips (3kilo a day and that's just chips) to the kids after school, her shop is 2 doors away from the school , demand and supply. :thumbsup:

There are a lot of decent lunches served in Thai schools, my kids have had them in several schools but I do not really know what percentage are good or bad.  Doubt there is really any good data about it.

I did a small stint in a school in Bangkok many years ago, never again, the food was disgusting there and unbelievably small, they scam the parents for everything, they pay for a term but they have too pay extra for everything paper a pencil, snacks the school had shops to sell everything and day outings which the kids had too go on, disgusting school.

Wonder how many people are pocketing money illegally and robbing children from being able to eat a healthy or at least decent lunch? It just goes to show how rampant corruption is in Thailand and how absolutely amoral lots of people are.

In Japan, school lunch is compulsory. Kids do not have the option to bring their own food. Actually, neither do teachers. Everyone gets the same menu.  Cost is about 250 yen per meal, so in baht about 65 baht. Always has milk, a hot entree, carbo of some kind, and usually fruit. It is served by the students and then they do the clean up too.  All run through the BofE, so little chance for money to "stick" to some fingers.  This picture is from an elementary school;

Fried fish with a tomato-based sauce, a cold pickled salad and a serving of rice. To the right is a large bowl of vegetable, tofu and pork soup, along with half an orange, a cup of hot hojicha tea and a bottle of cold milk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alanrchase said:

By my calculations they are paying about 30 baht per meal. I assume the meal is served to them and people tidy up afterwards. It may not be gourmet food but what do they expect for 30 baht? 

More than that. I would guess the cost of this would be less than bt10.

Cover-Images-for-MAIN-WEB-Thai-PBS-World-logo-15.png

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Would like to see what the teachers are having for their lunch , just for comparison....

corruption in everything here ,

regards Worgeordie

Where I taught the teachers ate the same. I couldn't eat everything (me being fussy) but the food wasn't bad. Had a little soup usually then rice and meat etc. with a piece or slice of fruit. If no fruit a small desert. I guess it's all down to the school and how well the school polices it's food contractors. The school was at Ban Chang and the kids did OK.

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Would like to see what the teachers are having for their lunch , just for comparison....

corruption in everything here ,

regards Worgeordie

We get the same food as the students. And it much better than what is shown here. Nothing to write home about though.

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

Wonder how many people are pocketing money illegally and robbing children from being able to eat a healthy or at least decent lunch? It just goes to show how rampant corruption is in Thailand and how absolutely amoral lots of people are.

You don't know how many people ar involved but go on to say corruption is rampant? What is your association with Thai schools? No point in tarring all schools with the same brush.

6 hours ago, n00dle said:

"Say im a miserable old fok without saying I'm a miserable old fok"

The very fact you responded like this tells me you know I'm right. 

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

My missus makes a killing on selling chicken nuggets and chips (3kilo a day and that's just chips) to the kids after school, her shop is 2 doors away from the school , demand and supply. :thumbsup:

not surprised in the least...she knows her demographic.....could actually make her own for cheaper and fresher....and could make funnel cake for dessert    amp up that junk o meter

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cnx101 said:

I did a small stint in a school in Bangkok many years ago, never again, the food was disgusting there and unbelievably small, they scam the parents for everything, they pay for a term but they have too pay extra for everything paper a pencil, snacks the school had shops to sell everything and day outings which the kids had too go on, disgusting school.

3 hours ago, cnx101 said:

kickbacks around each corner..i stopped teaching long ago here...

7 hours ago, n00dle said:

Thai corruption? US and UK nursing homes have been doing the same thing since time began.

People act like Thailand invented this stuff, when the countries they come from have been campaigning for years to stop feeding kids in schools dog<deleted>.

There will always be corruption, as it's very difficult to stamp out.  But Thailand doesn't compare to the US or the UK.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

She must be proud of herself selling unhealthy junk food to school kids.