Loneliness.

bob smith

46 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

We NEVER sleep together and we continue to see each other and have a good time.

yeah, that's smart.

i'd like to aquire more female platonic friends in my life.

a good friendship often lasts forever.

relationships 50/50. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are meet up groups you can join. I've made a lot of friends from different countries through those. Some are still good friends 8 years later. Members are mostly professional and you won't feel like it's all about money. Age doesn't matter too! You can also join groups with the same interest as yours. 

Loneliness is inevitable, but don't dwell on it. I battled depression and I would cry just to get up every morning from bed. However, the goal was to do things no matter how lonely or difficult it feels. 

There are still a lot of good people in Thailand, locals and foreigners who aren't just wanting to leech you for your money. 

• Like 1

If you are lonely in Thailand one of the best ways to make friends is to learn the language. You can meet a different class of people. Learn from a book and practice on the staff in coffee shops, not always bar girls who just want money.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Furioso said:

She said it must be a 6, I totally believed her and yes, this is the first day of my life I know a 6 is the size for a King bed. I even now know that a 4 and 5 are Twin and Queen, respectively.

The numbers have to do with how many feet(strange they don't use metric) wide the beds are.

Two things:

Money makes the world go round wherever you are. The only question is the price.

Wherever you go you take yourself with you - you're the one person you can't run away from.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, sipi said:

If you can't make friends in Thailand, you can't make friends anywhere.

At least in Thailand everyone smiles and says hello, unlike a lot of other countries...

Never noticed it, where is Thailand is this?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DogNo1 said:

There is a variety of people here: some kind and friendly and some not.  Two weeks ago, a nurse in Cardiology shouted at me for five minutes straight over what was, unbeknownst to her, merely a misunderstanding.  Yesterday I had a great conversation with a taxi driver about the world political situation on the way back to my hotel.   The trick is not to be discouraged from interacting by your unpleasant experiences.   I try take the good with the bad.  

Somebody mentioned joining fellowship groups.  Where are those to be found?

Mostly where foreigners live. Hua Hin have several groups from sport to just meetings with different themes, and also do some community work, help animals, picking garbage etc 

Facebook is a great tool to find such groups.

You can also ask here making a new thread with your location.

If no success, pack up and move if lonely to a place with more social meetings suited for you. 

The biggest issue I have with being social in Thailand, is alchohol is a premise for most foreigners, with one exeption gym and maybe bicycling groups, who I found rarely socializing outside activity. They meet, do their work out and go home.

Anyway, spending a few hours at a gym 5 days a week if lonely, cant harm you, and useslly nice people to meet, and who knows, 

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I bought some rabbits, problem gone.

Great company and I can have a cuddle whenever I like in exchange for a crust of bread.

IMG_20230613_072510.jpg

im a great chat buddy should you happen to have the inner soft part of that bread--and would toasting it be ok?  a dab of jelly?  ???? spot of tea would finish nicely friend  

6 minutes ago, proton said:

Never noticed it, where is Thailand is this?

Where you live? Or where have you been looking? 

Many motorbike groups from scoots to big bikes meet regulary, playing pool groups, even board gaming, vird watchers, walking groups, wine clubs, golfing, diving, tennis, soccer, card playing

What is your interests? 

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am not lonely because I am comfortable with my own company.

Me to, but nice to meet up with someone once and awhile, and get some air out after spending a month with family in Isaan. Even time pass by quick, it is necessary to get out on the road, and see people again

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Where you live? Or where have you been looking? 

Many motorbike groups from scoots to big bikes meet regulary, playing pool groups, even board gaming, vird watchers, walking groups, wine clubs, golfing, diving, tennis, soccer, card playing

What is your interests? 

Lutung, morlam and drinking!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Me to, but nice to meet up with someone once and awhile, and get some air out after spending a month with family in Isaan. Even time pass by quick, it is necessary to get out on the road, and see people again

I have the company of my GF, and friends I meet occasionally. I just don't feel lonely on the occasions I am alone.

• Thanks 1

Ive been a Lone Wolf since I first came to LOS in 2008.....was my last long term GF etc....

I stick to a routine....almost military like...check emails--have some tea...tidy up room...ride my bike around daily for sun and exercise and interacting with society....see the same vendors when i eat...having spotify is a big thing for me as music is key and a must have during my day..

Id say i just distract myself and find stuff to do--wander the 20 bt shops..2nd hand shops...discover new places to eat biking around...see the same people on my daily bike ride and then head home at dark...usually getting fruit etc from same folks..come home  watch news..

I wonder to myself seeing some thais just sitting at their shops daily staring at the phone or the people here that live in such a small bubble world..but as long as they are satisfied with that, as I make the effort to engage in life and get outside and exercise and limit my internet use...just try to stay active mentally and physically.....buy a 2nd hand bike and get out and explore-exercise

Ill do this for 6 months then go home and work the other 6....and save my money for return

Guess ive gotten so used to it I even turned down free sex last week lol....as she wanted to stay over...i denied it as im so used to sleeping alone and dont sleep well with someone in my bed

I was still open for the sex part but she would have to leave after....she even wanted to work a few hours in my room online.....i was open for fooling around..not having a room mate!  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Better stay in then. 

im asked daily on my bike ride by the same people...lol as if im gonna change my mind.....I just play along.....or carry a 1 baht coin in my pocket...so if i chuck it the other way it gives me a change to escape!..thinking of tying a 20 bt bill to fishing line and attaching it to my bike..

20 hours ago, bogs smith said:

anyone else ever get lonely here or feel they are alone??

seems that whenever go outside now people only want money.

the humanity has been completely squeezed out of life in favor of the cash.

thats all that matters to these people.

im sure its the same the world over but surely theres better places to live than here that offer a more fulfilling existence, and isnt solely based on a financial transaction?

if we have money we are tolerated to give them enough time to squeeze it out of us.

if we are skint then good luck. nobody wants to know you.

what a sad, lonely existence..

I never felt lonely here.

If I would feel lonely, I could just go out of the building and chat with the motorcycle riders, or some food vendors. Or I could sit in the lobby of my building. I am sure someone would talk to me.

If I would be in a village I could go to the market or a temple. Or in other places maybe I would talk with people on the beach.

I imagine that some people feel like you describe if they have a certain attitude. It seems many foreigners just know that they are better than Thais. They know everything better and do all work better. And they are not shy to let those underdeveloped beings know that they are not so good. Yes, people with such attitudes might be lonely. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

i think you are right.

social media too has turned people into 'bots'.

there are no real people anymore, just wannabe celebrities.

There are REAL (of the sort you mean) people - and I am one of them!

I have lived alone but, though I prefer being with someone, I am happy with myself and my philosophy of life and never feel loneliness!

There are very few people in over twenty years (none that I encountered by just going outside) that engaged with me for money.

i think you are right.

social media too has turned people into 'bots'.

there are no real people anymore, just wannabe celebrities.

Yesterday I saw a video from two online celebrities talking to each other and talking about the bad state of mind of many people. They also talked about role models, or the lack thereof.

The online celebrity woman said she has no online role model. And it seems she was somehow sad or maybe surprised about that fact. But it seems it didn't cross her mind that maybe she should look offline. Do you know any real people who you admire? 

Why do people search for online role models when the online world is obviously full of narcissists?