Anyone been back to Australia for the forced 2 year exile to move pension to Thailand?

Weighing up a few options ATM whether to move back to Australia permanently or go and do the 2 year stint of living there so I can bring my pension over here. I am a ways off atm...my pension age is 67 yo so I would move back at 65, wait out the 2 years and come back at 67yo, hopefully with pension available to me living in Thailand.

Just wondering what my options are in those 2 years leading up to receiving the pension. It would seem unlikely I would find work at 65yo. Is the dole a livable allowance and would it in fact be available to me? I am quite happy to live modestly for a couple of years. I have money in the bank but will have a family here in Thailand to support while I am away so the less I need to draw from savings the better position I will be able to leave them in when I eventually croak. Anyone have any insights, experience or suggestions? 

There is a minimum number of years to live in Australia over the age of 16 before your pension gets pro-rated I think it's 35. If you are close to this number the 2 years living in Australia before entitlement may help put you over it or reduce your deduction if you are under it. This may be true or not true ????

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

There is a minimum number of years to live in Australia over the age of 16 before your pension gets pro-rated I think it's 35. If you are close to this number the 2 years living in Australia before entitlement may help put you over it or reduce your deduction if you are under it. This may be true or not true ????

I was always under the impression it was 35 years working which I would be in months of + or - but not sure if that is still the case. Their website only states you need to have been a resident in Australia for at least 10 years and a citizen to qualify

Just now, Kenny202 said:

I was always under the impression it was 35 years working which I would be in months of + or - but not sure if that is still the case. Their website only states you need to have been a resident in Australia for at least 10 years and a citizen to qualify

I'm fairly sure it's residency, not working. You can be unemployed and it would not be deducted from this eligibility. I did look it up recently but my memory is shot. The issue for me is many years outside Australia where I worked but did not work in Australia while still counting as resident of Australia.

I did actually do a little more digging and to be eligible for the pension only goes on residency, but there is a 35 year working life rule on portability. I did a quick calculation and I am right on 35 years, but maybe be a month or 2 short depending on how they calculate it. Not sure what happens if you are just shy of the 35 years...they don't actually say if it is pro rata if you are below 35 or it disqualifies you. Looks like I will have to call them

23 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I did actually do a little more digging and to be eligible for the pension only goes on residency, but there is a 35 year working life rule on portability. I did a quick calculation and I am right on 35 years, but maybe be a month or 2 short depending on how they calculate it. Not sure what happens if you are just shy of the 35 years...they don't actually say if it is pro rata if you are below 35 or it disqualifies you. Looks like I will have to call them

I'm sure it's pro rata. So it would pay you to do the time before 67 rather than after.

On returning to Aust register at Centrelink convincing them that you are a returning resident, I took my daughter with me and used her address ,this was accepted aged pension granted. If you have 34 + years working life pension might drop something like $5 per payment As I was in Aus for long term cancer treatment I only needed to stay an extra 4 months to complete the 2 years for portability

I am unsure about changing from "Job seeker" to aged pension at 67 would give you immediate portability, something to ask Centrelink International division they are easier to contact and always have or will get answers to your queries

Edited by norbra

41 minutes ago, norbra said:

On returning to Aust register at Centrelink convincing them that you are a returning resident, I took my daughter with me and used her address ,this was accepted aged pension granted. If you have 34 + years working life pension might drop something like $5 per payment As I was in Aus for long term cancer treatment I only needed to stay an extra 4 months to complete the 2 years for portability

I am unsure about changing from "Job seeker" to aged pension at 67 would give you immediate portability, something to ask Centrelink International division they are easier to contact and always have or will get answers to your queries

Thanks for that. Given that it will probably be difficult to find work at 65yo, how easy is it to get benefits and how much per month are they these days? I don't have squillions in the bank but have some. Last time I checked you had to be virtually skint to get the dole

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks for that. Given that it will probably be difficult to find work at 65yo, how easy is it to get benefits and how much per month are they these days? I don't have squillions in the bank but have some. Last time I checked you had to be virtually skint to get the dole

I believe you do get portability immediately after 2 years in australia before eligibility. OAP is a little over 2k, dole about half.

Edited by ozimoron

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I don't believe there is a 35 year limit for the pension to be "portable". Any pension is portable, but the time you've spent in Australia between age 16 and retirement age determines how much you can get and reduction is x/35 percent where x is the number of years you've lived in Australia.

I did read that if you've been out of Australia from 1 July 2014, the 35 years minimum is reduced to 25 years, but once you have spent 26 weeks in Australia after that date, it reverts to 35 years if you leave again before you reach your retirement age.

• Thanks 1

I’m here now doing my ‘2 years’ before turning 67. 
Yes, easy to get the dole. I got it immediately after returning to Aus after 6 years of living in LoS. How much you have in the bank determines when they start paying you benefits. 

3 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Kenny - WHY are you asking this to a message board instead of the proper authorities in your homeland that can give you concrete answers and not just hear what other people's thoughts, opinions and experiences have been? Makes no sense. 

Neither does replying to a post you have no clue about or trolling though posts on a country you are not from

• Like 1

I'm still a few years away from the OAP, but if the same rules still apply and they want me to return, I will be going straight from the airport to the Centrelink  to get the dole, 2 years later take pension back to Thailand.

I'm sure if the Government actually did some calculations, they would realize its to their benefit encouraging people to take the pension overseas. No need to provide hospital beds, transport, subsided services like electricity, medicine, meals on wheels etc etc. It would free up housing.

27 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I'm still a few years away from the OAP, but if the same rules still apply and they want me to return, I will be going straight from the airport to the Centrelink  to get the dole, 2 years later take pension back to Thailand.

I'm sure if the Government actually did some calculations, they would realize its to their benefit encouraging people to take the pension overseas. No need to provide hospital beds, transport, subsided services like electricity, medicine, meals on wheels etc etc. It would free up housing.

I always pondered the same question. No drain on free social services. Just another way of excluding people from getting the pension. Seems to be their go to when they want to financially cover their handouts to minorities or cover for their latest blunders. I heard you have to be just about skint to qualify for the dole these days?

As for lots of jobs I am not sure. People were hard to find immediately after Covid but not sure now. Simple job / livable wage is all I am after. Bunnings used to be the go to for pensioners lol but I imagine a lot of older people may have lost their nest eggs during covid and maybe many older people looking for work. I know that is the situation in Thailand now, people can no longer survive on their small businesses and traveling back to the cities to look for work in factories etc. Would much prefer to have a job....but no harm in hedging your bets and checking out plan B, C

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Rules never stay the same.

How far off are you from your pension age?

Probably a few too many years to worry about it....but atm I am looking at a choice of returning to Australia permanently now / soon while I still have the means to relocate and re set up in Australia, or returning at 65 and after 2 years returning to back to Thailand to live. If not being viable to support my family here and live in Australia for 2 years or not being able to get portability of the pension I will have to choose my least favorite option and move back to Oz in the next year. The thought of selling everything here and re establishing everything / buying all the basics to live again in Australia makes me feel sick ????

Talking to a few people I know the cost of living in Oz re rent etc seems around 3 times the cost of living here at the moment and many seem to feel there is a recession imminent   

Just now, Kenny202 said:

Probably a few too many years to worry about it....but atm I am looking at a choice of returning to Australia permanently now / soon while I still have the means to relocate and re set up in Australia, or returning at 65 and after 2 years returning to back to Thailand to live. If not being viable to support my family here and live in Australia for 2 years or not being able to get portability of the pension I will have to choose my least favorite option and move back to Oz in the next year. The thought of selling everything here and re establishing everything / buying all the basics to live again in Australia makes me feel sick ????

Talking to a few people I know the cost of living in Oz re rent etc seems around 3 times the cost of living here at the moment and many seem to feel there is a recession imminent. And as far as things always changing an unfortunate fact of life. Things could change here for the worse re ease of living, costs, visa's. You can only roll with what you know

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Talking to a few people I know the cost of living in Oz re rent etc seems around 3 times the cost of living here at the moment and many seem to feel there is a recession imminent   

Only you know your financial details and pretty much how much it would take to live and send money back to Thailand.

Going on your previous posts, don't you have a 3rd option?

That is to bring your family to Oz?

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

Only you know your financial details and pretty much how much it would take to live and send money back to Thailand.

Going on your previous posts, don't you have a 3rd option?

That is to bring your family to Oz?

I do have that option, but nearing retirement age with little work opportunities and the cost of living in Australia I don't see that as a viable option. Much better standard of living for us here....and I like living in Thailand (apart from the heat). My wife thinks it may be a good idea but I know of many Thais who have moved to Australia and were just miserable. Too much of a culture shift for them. Some fit in and see the opportunities but many don't. Unfortunately many don't have enough foresight to see past the first two weeks Facebook selfies and dreams of "big money". there is more money to be made in Australia for sure but the cost of living is also about triple what it is here. There would be benefits and good sides to repatriating to Oz for sure, but for me atm too many unknowns

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I do have that option, but nearing retirement age with little work opportunities and the cost of living in Australia I don't see that as a viable option. Much better standard of living for us here....and I like living in Thailand (apart from the heat). My wife thinks it may be a good idea but I know of many Thais who have moved to Australia and were just miserable. Too much of a culture shift for them. Some fit in and see the opportunities but many don't. Unfortunately many don't have enough foresight to see past the first two weeks Facebook selfies and dreams of "big money". there is more money to be made in Australia for sure but the cost of living is also about triple what it is here. There would be benefits and good sides to repatriating to Oz for sure, but for me atm too many unknowns

Fair enough.

So at the end of the day, you have to crunch the numbers and see if you have enough money to keep living in Thailand without the pension.

You will also need to take into account if you receive the dole, will it be affected by having assets.

You seem to be about 6 or 7 years away from having to make a decision.

A lot can change during that time so it's probably not worth over thinking things.

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

The thought of selling everything here and re establishing everything / buying all the basics to live again in Australia makes me feel sick ????

I didn’t sell anything, I left my stuff and car in storage and now doing my 2 years (rent-free!) in Aus and saving $A2k a month from welfare benefits whilst here. 
Back to Thailand next year with the extra $A52k welfare savings - plus pension for life. Thai GF visits me here every 6 months. So, in my situation, obviously not feeling sick about returning to live in Australia for those 2 years. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, simple1 said:

OP, FYI at the moment rent would absorb most of your Jobseeker allowance if you relocate to a major city / in demand location. Some years back I relocated back to Oz to wait out the two year period to return to Thailand where we have a house. I'm still here as I was diagnosed with cancer and cannot afford the ongoing medical care costs in Thailand - just a heads up about plans....

That and you cant just sit on dole, got to.actively  seek jobs which costs, time n money. But jobs aplenty dispite OPs view otherwise.Dolebludging is a bad ideathese days.

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I heard you have to be just about skint to qualify for the dole these days?

You are allowed to have up to $11k in the bank to be able claim the dole the day you arrive back in Australia. If more than $11k in the bank, you need to wait up to 3 months depending on how much you have.

3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

That and you cant just sit on dole, got to.actively  seek jobs which costs, time n money. But jobs aplenty dispite OPs view otherwise.Dolebludging is a bad ideathese days.

Cost’s nothing to seek jobs as you apply online and show Centrelink the applications. The only potential cost would be transport fees to report every 2 weeks in person to the closest office.