After Many Decades Living in Thailand (or Asia), ... Do You Sometimes Dream of your First Wife....Left Back in the "Old Country"? Do you dream VIVID Dreams about her, too?

After Many Decades Living in Thailand (or Asia), ... Do You Sometimes Dream of your First Wife....Left Back in the "Old Country"? Do you dream VIVID Dreams about her, too?

No.  In fact I seldom think of that cheating *****, except your OP stirred my memory.
I don't dream about her at all. 

Yes, yes and yes. Almost twenty years after my divorce I still dream of my ex-wife. It is always the same dream where I am trying to persuade her to stay in our marriage. I often pray that I my subconscious would not keep bringing up this dream and that it would be finally over. I guess I was traumatized to the point of leaving some serious issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sorry.

But did you say a Red GUM tree?

Because, I have always wondered about this song....

Sang it as kids. If you really wondered then you may know or be interested in the story about Men at Works HUGE No 1 hit Down Under in the 80's and how 20 years later an Australian quiz show noted the similarity in one bit to this song and how the owner of the rights to this song sued Men at Work and got some payment. 

• Love It 1

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

While I do not wish to become too prurient, I can tell you that, during the past few months, I have been experiencing some of the best relationships with my first wife, ones that were far better than I had known while I was with her.

what do you mean? in your imagination?

you are re-living the marriage in your imagination and it's better than the original real thing?

this sounds like deluded nonsense. 

in most cases, remembering past loves brings up negative emotions. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Tom Petty is the best. 

He's too famous, though ... and hates the spotlight ... so he doesn't even eat out in restaurants much apparently. 

u do know tom petty died in 2017?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

We have real hardwoods in Australia, most of the softwoods are introduced species.

Mountain Ash, Red Gum, Ti-Tree, Mallee roots and Tasmanian Blue Gum all burn hot and long. Ironbark was named that for good reason.

http://www.wallisandmatilda.com.au/man-from-ironbark.shtml

I shower, baths IMO are for hippopotami.

You used a comma where, instead, you should have used a semicolon. Otherwise, what you wrote is almost impossible to decipher. 

By the by, honestly, it seems to me that, if I were Australian, I would NOT leave such a beautiful country, one with extremely low population density, pristine beaches galore, and so much more. 

The only thing I can think is that you mismanaged your steam control. 

As Tom Wolfe mentioned, maintaining social stability is all about STEAM CONTROL. 

I forget the exact quote, but once your boiler gets out of control, then you are facing chaos. 

In my opinion, in the 1960s and 1970s, Australia was always seen as an idyllic place, and the envy of many. 

What happened? 

The problems of Australia, today, are directly related to the failure to practice proper steam control. 

Did your people in government never take a university course in Biology? 

I mean, if you take a pristine agar petri dish, wave it in the air, and then cultivate it, what do you expect to see? 

So, as Tom Wolfe correctly stated, if you want to maintain social stability, then you just gotta have STEAM CONTROL. 

Please just keep in mind this metaphorical Agar Dish of which I now speak. 

Looking forward toward the very near future, you gotta listen more to one of Yale's famous sons. 

Musk, on the other hand, seems to dream about saving the ENTIRE human race through utilization of the technology he creates. 

This is a CLASSIC example of COMPENSATION. Although I love Musk, yet still he is blinded by his madness. 

I just really hope that you can somewhat comprehend the import of what I am telling you, on so many levels. 

Maybe I should add a time-lapse video of bacteria on Agar? 

It's almost like you have no conception of what exponential growth looks like in the real world. 

What more can I say? 

Except, IF I had my wish, I would ask for my first wife to return to me, looking just the same as she did at age 22. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sorry.

But did you say a Red GUM tree?

Because, I have always wondered about this song....

The Barmah-Millewa Forest is the biggest stand of red gum trees in the world. The wood is frequently used as foundation stumps on weatherboard houses, due to its durability and resistance to rot.

Kookaburras can become very tame, I used to feed a couple on my balcony with bits of meat and witchetty grubs.

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You used a comma where, instead, you should have used a semicolon. Otherwise, what you wrote is almost impossible to decipher. 

By the by, honestly, it seems to me that, if I were Australian, I would NOT leave such a beautiful country, one with extremely low population density, pristine beaches galore, and so much more. 

As Tom Wolfe mentioned, maintaining social stability is all about STEAM CONTROL. 

I forget the exact quote, but once your boiler gets out of control, then you are facing chaos. 

In my opinion, in the 1960s and 1970s, Australia was always seen as an idyllic place, and the envy of many. 

What happened? 

The problems of Australia, today, are directly related to the failure to practice proper steam control. 

I mean, if you take a pristine agar petri dish, wave it in the air, and then cultivate it, what do you expect to see? 

So, as Tom Wolfe correctly stated, if you want to maintain social stability, then you just gotta have STEAM CONTROL. 

Looking forward toward the very near future, you gotta listen more to one of Yale's famous sons. 

Musk, on the other hand, seems to dream about saving the ENTIRE human race through utilization of the technology he creates. 

This is a CLASSIC example of COMPENSATION. Although I love Musk, yet still he is blinded by his madness. 

I just really hope that you can somewhat comprehend the import of what I am telling you, on so many levels. 

It's almost like you have no conception of what exponential growth looks like in the real world. 

What more can I say? 

Except, IF I had my wish, I would ask for my first wife to return to me, looking just the same as she did at age 22. 

Seems like she already got her wish

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

what do you mean? in your imagination?

you are re-living the marriage in your imagination and it's better than the original real thing?

this sounds like deluded nonsense. 

in most cases, remembering past loves brings up negative emotions. 

Sometimes, maybe often, there is a very fine line between fantasy and reality. And, I am NOT referring to any type of psychosis. 

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What happened? 

What more can I say? 

What happened? Hard to say, except I am more comfortable in Thailand than I could ever be in Australia.

Australia may be idyllic to some, looking at the coastal fringes. The interior is harsh and brutal in summer or winter. Every so often, it kills one or more tourists as a reminder of how deadly it can be.

The clip is not entirely fiction. Australia has its share of psychos.

I did live in a golden age in some ways. I bought a house, and paid off the mortgage in 18 months. The generation of today have to look forward to debt lasting for 3 or 4 decades, at the mercy of interest rate fluctuations.

I enjoyed working in the field of science, being productive and creative. The tricarboxylic acid cycle featured in one of my published papers.

The best quote comes from one of your under-appreciated Presidents, Calvin Coolidge. I took it on board very early.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

My thoughts exactly.

OK.  I understand that some divorces are difficult.

However, this was not true of my divorces.

All of my wives and I parted as good friends.

Maybe this is why I continue to dream about them.

And, additionally, these past divorces from my wives, and also the separations from my more recent past girlfriends, have, finally, impressed upon me the importance of staying single, and staying celibate, notwithstanding how taxing to my spirit this decision sometimes truly is!

I have heard horror stories, as have you, of divorces that end badly, even after two people had shared years together as lovers.

Why does this happen???

One starts out as a couple who are in love, sharing the most intimate discussions and caring for each other.

And then, so suddenly, things turn sour.

This, on the surface, just seems so illogical and unpredictable.

Yet, these days, this just happens far too frequently.

IN FACT, as you may recall, Hollywood even made a movie about this very thing.

I think the title of the film was something like... War of the Roses.

They began their lives with such HIGH HOPES.

And then, due to illogical and poorly understood reasons, maybe even due to some conflict of Ego, they met their doom.

They turned a beautiful life of plenty into a horror story, and this film is not a fantasy.

This film is one of my favorites because, it has an amazing punch line:  "Avoid the Fish"

Here is the REAL reason I will remain completely celibate until my dying day (Kathleen Turner is amazing!):

I believe, just as Danny DeVito stated, when one needs to separate, then....one must look FORWARD.

Look to the future.

Because, someday, maybe, you will be dreaming about her, and the good times you shared, under the covers.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

My first wife was, and is sitting beside me here in Isaan, we have been married for fourty-two years and came here together. don't assume everyone is wearing the same pair of shoes you are. My dreams are of her and her alone.

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What happened? Hard to say, except I am more comfortable in Thailand than I could ever be in Australia.

Australia may be idyllic to some, looking at the coastal fringes. The interior is harsh and brutal in summer or winter. Every so often, it kills one or more tourists as a reminder of how deadly it can be.

The clip is not entirely fiction. Australia has its share of psychos.

I did live in a golden age in some ways. I bought a house, and paid off the mortgage in 18 months. The generation of today have to look forward to debt lasting for 3 or 4 decades, at the mercy of interest rate fluctuations.

I enjoyed working in the field of science, being productive and creative. The tricarboxylic acid cycle featured in one of my published papers.

The best quote comes from one of your under-appreciated Presidents, Calvin Coolidge. I took it on board very early.

Please link the paper that you quoted.

Thank you.

I will, of course, enjoy reading it.

• Love It 1

30 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please link the paper that you quoted.

Thank you.

I will, of course, enjoy reading it.

The paper would identify me with my real name, that's why i have a nom-de-plume here.

Gammaglobin.   I understand where you are coming from. But not all of us left our wives behind by choice and not all of us dipped our wick in Thailand at every opportunity. Behaving like kids in a sweet shop. My English wife of twenty five years died in 1982. I still occasionally dream of her, even though I've been happily married to my Thai wife, who I met outside of Thailand, for thirty six years. For someone you loved I think they stay in your subconscious forever and no doubt pop up in your dreams. Erotic or otherwise.

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Question for you, Gamma.

How many words does you know?

Great question! 

The breadth of my vocabulary has been shrinking continuously, over time, as I continue to age. 

Linguistically, I think we enter decline before age 58.3.

But this is not the complete story. 

You gotta differentiate between word RECOGNITION and word GENERATION. 

For example, in reading most text, including PhD theses, which I refer to as PhD feces, I seem to rarely encounter many vocabulary words/terms that I do not know. 

However, the generation of vocabulary I once knew, and wish to use, is an ability which seems to be gradually diminishing. 

But if you are wishing that I will soon become totally incapable of posting comments on this forum, due to something such as what you see with Biden, I don't see this happening to me within the next two years. 

Also, I am doubly challenged. As I have mentioned, I am using a very old Samsung Galaxy interface between me and you. I can see only one line of text between my keyboard and the popup ads on this old device which is still functioning perfectly after almost 9 years. 

More interestingly, if you want to gain some understanding of your ability to recognize many very obscure and obtruse English vocabulary, my advice is to get some GRE practice books. 

But, before you do this, it's best to enroll yourself in an intensive Latin course. 

Also, fortunately, I seem to be able to easily memorize new Chinese and Thai vocabulary. 

But, retaining L2 and L3 vocabulary terms is highly dependant upon environment. 

So, in conclusion, if you don't use it, then you are very likely to lose it. 

Maybe you have found this same thing to be true, under the sheets. 

Always keep your member exercised and in tip-top condition. 

Otherwise, someday, you might find yourself at 6:30... Liu-dian Ban. 

Picture your privates as the hands of a clock at Six Thirty. How would you feel? 

This has not yet happened to me, but stay exercised, lest it happen to you. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Great question! 

The breadth of my vocabulary has been shrinking continuously, over time, as I continue to age. 

Linguistically, I think we enter decline before age 58.3.

But this is not the complete story. 

You gotta differentiate between word RECOGNITION and word GENERATION. 

For example, in reading most text, including PhD theses, which I refer to as PhD feces, I seem to rarely encounter many vocabulary words/terms that I do not know. 

However, the generation of vocabulary I once knew, and wish to use, is an ability which seems to be gradually diminishing. 

But if you are wishing that I will soon become totally incapable of posting comments on this forum, due to something such as what you see with Biden, I don't see this happening to me within the next two years. 

Also, I am doubly challenged. As I have mentioned, I am using a very old Samsung Galaxy interface between me and you. I can see only one line of text between my keyboard and the popup ads on this old device which is still functioning perfectly after almost 9 years. 

More interestingly, if you want to gain some understanding of your ability to recognize many very obscure and obtruse English vocabulary, my advice is to get some GRE practice books. 

But, before you do this, it's best to enroll yourself in an intensive Latin course. 

Also, fortunately, I seem to be able to easily memorize new Chinese and Thai vocabulary. 

But, retaining L2 and L3 vocabulary terms is highly dependant upon environment. 

So, in conclusion, if you don't use it, then you are very likely to lose it. 

Maybe you have found this same thing to be true, under the sheets. 

Always keep your member exercised and in tip-top condition. 

Otherwise, someday, you might find yourself at 6:30... Liu-dian Ban. 

Picture your privates as the hands of a clock at Six Thirty. How would you feel? 

This has not yet happened to me, but stay exercised, lest it happen to you. 

A couple of words you might consider introducing to your vocabulary: " Concise - Succinct".... ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Gammaglobin.   I understand where you are coming from. But not all of us left our wives behind by choice and not all of us dipped our wick in Thailand at every opportunity. Behaving like kids in a sweet shop. My English wife of twenty five years died in 1982. I still occasionally dream of her, even though I've been happily married to my Thai wife, who I met outside of Thailand, for thirty six years. For someone you loved I think they stay in your subconscious forever and no doubt pop up in your dreams. Erotic or otherwise.

Although I might be among the minority on this forum, I completely agree that Love is far more important than Eroticism, after age 25, at least for our wellbeing. 

Introspection is also important, and I just wonder if there are any, even one, introspective souls on this blessed forum. 

As you may have heard, one of the principle reasons I come to this form is to enjoy the barbs, the slings, and the arrows, which can only come my way through actively posting topics here. 

I am really thankful. 

What I am saying is that, I sometimes feel like Dustin Hoffman. 

Posting on this forum is like descending in a bathosphere to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. 

It's really scary. 

But, I just cannot get enough of comments contributed by the people from Ireland and Scotland, in our group. 

I realize that I am not worthy. 

But, yet, I just hope that, through engaging with people from Ireland and Scotland on this forum, then, someday, I will be able to actually move to Scotland. 

I have been dreaming of moving to Ireland for many years. 

And, Ireland is even more on my bucket list, now. 

• Love It 1

15 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

A couple of words you might consider introducing to your vocabulary: " Concise - Succinct".... ????

A good reader should never feel intimidated by the literary tool of Stream of Conciousness. 

In my opinion, James Joyce is second only to Dostoevsky. 

So then, why do so many readers fail to wade through Ulysses, to the bitter end? 

Obviously, you can't just pay USD250,000.00 to have somebody read James Joyce, for you, and expect a FREE RIDE. 

Any billionaire fool can buy a one-way ticket to the bottom of the ocean. 

But, how much time does it require to read 250 good books? And then, to read them again? 

The answer, my friends, is blowing in the wind. 

Why? 

Because, as we know from reading The New Yorker, the end of organized human civilization... is nigh. 

Who are the guys in charge of our world, these days? 

Obviously, the guys in charge of our world, today, share many of the same personality traits as the guys who boarded the Titon. 

How long, how many years, has it been since you first watched the theater showing of Strangelove? 

Almost 60 years. 

I loved, above all, Miss Foreign Affairs. 

Miss Foreign Affairs was my second awakening, just after having read Fanny Hill. 

Even to this day, in black and white, I can still recall every inch of her body not covered by that journal. 

Those were the days when Foreign Affairs was printed on very expensive paper, with a grey cover and black type. 

These days, the writing in Foreign Affairs has been completely dumbed down to about the 8th-grade level. 

So, I just wonder. How low can we go? 

For example,... Yesterday, I tried to read The Taming of The Shrew, just because I was seeking advice concerning how to handle my Thai landlady. 

But, after having watched three years of UTUBE, during the pandemic, I quickly found that, even, Shakespeare was no longer accessible to me. 

Most people on this forum, if you really want to know the truth, as Haulden Caulfield might have said, are smarter than I. 

But I just wish I knew which are which. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Keith Floyd....... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Floyd

Died, age 65.

No matter your persuasion, Keith Floyd  brightened your world, and the lives of many millions.

As Floyd once told it, he kindly had a helping hand in popularizing The Stranglers.

Keith drank a lot on camera.  Also, as far as I know, I think he might have experienced a one-time drink driving  ban.... https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/nov/24/ukcrime.martinwainwright

Nobody is perfect.

Floyd was the quintessential traveling cook of CLASS in SE Asia, and around the world.

Keith Floyd, we love you.
Pink Floyd, these days, not so much.

Time flies.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1