Rum in Thailand

I'm a rum & coke guy....In Big C & Lotus there's a white rum marketed as Uncle Tom.... It's in a square shaped bottle....

I find it smooth, with a good taste....

They market 3 products, I just look for the square bottle with a red R label....It's 279B, so an easy taste test to see if it agrees with you.....

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 12:16 AM, BenStark said:

Sangsom is a decent rum, only don't get fooled by buying a liter bottle, since it cost more per volume than a 70 cl bottle.

70 cl is 286 baht while 1 liter is 430 baht

395 baht for 1 Litre at 7/11

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2023 at 7:02 AM, BritManToo said:

Hong Thong is also good enough, and a bit cheaper than SangSom.

This was one of the strangest posts I have seen.... Hong Thong??? Really, smell like bad moonshine..... Have you tried it really???

Edited by glegolo18
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

This was one of the strangest posts I have seen.... Hong Thong??? Really, smell like bad moonshine..... Have you tried it really???

Tastes slightly sweeter than SangSom.

I prefer it, good for making fake Bailey's.

Edited by BritManToo

On 6/26/2023 at 10:07 AM, Social Media said:

Images removed.

PLEASE DO NOT post images of alchohol !

42. You will not advertise, display, promote, review or endorse, directly or indirectly, the name or trademark of any alcoholic beverage. Such actions are potentially in contravention of Section 32 of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act (2008).

Then most of the posts/comments in this thread have to be removed. No?

• Haha 1

Hong Thong is not rum.

It is blended spirits which in Thailand would be rice based, with flavour added.

Sangsom is a fairly light rum, as stated made from molasses which in turn is a product resulting 

from the process of refining sugar.

It is not your real dark rum colour but drinks OK with a mixer.

Bundaberg  (an Australian rum) is also not very dark but a good distinctive taste.

All spirits when distilled have no colour. They are all clear. Colouring can be from used barrels imparting colour over time as in real scotch.

I suspect the Sangsom colour is added as barrel time would be limited & also a

distinctive taste of it's own

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Hong Thong is not rum.

It is blended spirits which in Thailand would be rice based, with flavour added.

When the owner of the distillery says it is made with molasses, I tend to believe him.

http://www.interbevgroup.com/brands-spirits-hongthong.php

Smooth and easy drinking, Hong Thong is a golden spirit made from molasses at the renowned Bangyikhan Distillery near Bangkok. The name 'Hong Thong' translates into 'Golden Phoenix'.

• Like 1

You were told....

PLEASE DO NOT post images of alchohol !

42. You will not advertise, display, promote, review or endorse, directly or indirectly, the name or trademark of any alcoholic beverage. Such actions are potentially in contravention of Section 32 of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act (2008).

You persisted

CLOSED

• Like 1