Senate deputy chairman says Pita “unlikely to get 5 votes” from senators

webfact

image.jpeg

A member of Thailand’s hand-picked Senate has predicted that the leader of the Move Forward Party “won’t even get 5 votes” from the 250 senators to back his bid for PM. Pita Limjaroenrat hopes to become Thailand’s next leader when the new PM is chosen, expected to happen on July 13.

Thailand’s current Senators were hand-picked by the 2014 coup leader and the NCPO after the 2017 Thai constitution was enacted. They have universally supported Thailand’s political status-quo and were installed, specifically, to keep conservative elements in charge of the Thai parliament.

Senator Kittisak Rattanawaraha has dismissed Pita’s chances of being elected. According to him, most senators have “already decided they’ll either vote against Pita or abstain”. Kittisak also says Pita might not be the only contender, as any party that has won 25 or more House seats can put forward up to 3 candidates.

By Peter Roche

PHOTO: Facebook/Pita Limjaroenrat - พิธา ลิ้มเจริญรัตน์

#news

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/senate-deputy-chairman-says-pita-unlikely-to-get-5-votes-from-senators/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-06-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A member of Thailand’s hand-picked Senate has predicted that the leader of the Move Forward Party “won’t even get 5 votes” from the 250 senators to back his bid for PM. Pita Limjaroenrat hopes to become Thailand’s next leader when the new PM is chosen, expected to happen on July 13.

Dinosaurs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Brought to you by usually wealthy old men who don't give a flying what happens to the economy in this asylum ???? 

With respect, may I suggest a change of wording from "economy" to "democratically elected MPs"

3 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The coalition has the majority in Parlament and they are all voted in by the people. They coalition (the majority) agreed for Pita as PM. And then we have the unelected Senators, who can block the will of the parliamentary majority with its 250 votes.

So reality

19 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The coalition has the majority in Parlament and they are all voted in by the people. They coalition (the majority) agreed for Pita as PM. And then we have the unelected Senators, who can block the will of the parliamentary majority with its 250 votes.

correct,  but the will of the people agreed to this constution, you get what You voted for

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

To Mr Kittisak - if I may for an indulgent moment imagine he might read this - I say: 

I have no gift of prophecy, and have lost most bets I've made, but I'm seeing things ahead for you, Mr Senator, that I'd stake certain odds on. The moment you uttered these words ascribed to you, after pocketing your pieces of silver, you kicked a karmic ball that'll roll on and on in your background while you meanwhile forget the whole thing.....until that ball stops outside your door with a jarring 'clunk'. 

As I have not one tiny bit of doubt that MFP - or they who follow in their footsteps - will sooner or later prevail over the corrupt, repulsive system of which you are a part, I would ask you whether or not you think any future honest & factual histories of contemporary Thai history shall give accounts of your own role in this s***show of events in ways that you would favour?

UNelected, only SElected, by the other UNelected (they with guns & tanks), you were and are it seems best described as just a disgraceful nothingburger. 

(You're welcome.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, koolkarl said:

There should be lots of blood in the streets.  Assuming Pita gets his rightful job, I do hope he passes  a law that the senate shall be elected forever. 

Sorry to play the fun spoiler again, but in order to amend the constitution, the approval of 2/3 of Senators is required.