'Next hours will be decisive': 45,000 police deployed as unrest spreads across France

Social Media

image.png

Violent protests are spreading throughout France after a 17-year-old - named as Nahel M - was shot dead by police during a traffic stop in the Paris suburb of Nanterre on Tuesday.

France has suspended all bus and tram services on Friday night - while deploying 45,000 officers across the country - amid ongoing riots over a police shooting.

Violent protests are spreading throughout France after a 17-year-old, named as Nahel M, was shot by police during a traffic stop in the Paris suburb of Nanterre on Tuesday.

In the aftermath, people have taken to the streets on three consecutive nights to protest, setting cars alight and throwing stones and fireworks.

More outbreaks of violence were reported across the country on Friday night.

Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin earlier told TF1 television that 45,000 extra police officers, which will include paramilitary gendarmes, would be deployed across France on Friday - 5,000 more than the previous night.

In a message to fire and police forces, he said: "The next hours will be decisive and I know I can count on your flawless efforts".

On Friday night, clashes were reported in several cities, including the city of Lyon in the southeast.

FULL STORY

image.png

58 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

It appears from video that the young man was stopped at police checkpoint, he stopped then drove off, the cop then shot him from behind, so in the back?

From the article:

"Meanwhile, the police officer who shot and killed the teenager asked the family of the boy for forgiveness.

His lawyer Laurent-Franck Lienard told BFMTV: "The first words he pronounced were to say sorry and the last words he said were to say sorry to the family.

"He is devastated, he doesn't get up in the morning to kill people. He didn't want to kill him.""

So why did he shoot was it lack of training or something else?

original video here.

the officer shot the driver when he decided to hit the gas while a gun was pointed at him.

I don't know why the officer had pointed the gun at the driver in the first place or if that move was justified.

I think there is more to the story.

France's problems stem from certainly racism, but also from disrespect for authority, and this isn't just from immigrants and their descendants. More and more homegrown riffraff rebels just against anything and thinks it can just do as it pleases, while toxic politicians from both extremes play them and cultivate any "anti" behaviour.

Already 30 years ago it wasn't advisable to drive a nice car because it was likely to get damaged in cities by jealous people.

The sum of France's problems is probably enough to keep hordes of sociologists and psychologists occupied for years and to fill thousands of pages of analysis.

But France needs to get out of that smelly pit of jealousy, extremist idealism, excessive underdog mentality, "anti" stance and whatever. It has been destroying France since the middle of the seventies.

Bring back common sense, sensible laws, respect for institutions (but that respect has to be earned), industry, work ethics, etc.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

From what I've read, the 17 year old - who was too young to drive anyway and where did he get the car? - ran a red light, and when he was stopped by the police he tried to drive off. And it seems to be the norm now in many countries to open fire if that happens and ask questions later.

And, as is also the norm, people come out on the streets to protest and burn down their own neighborhood, and then wonder why the shops and businesses they used are no longer there to serve them.

compare with this video from the US:

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=3444782485733995

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, RayC said:

So anyone who attempts to avoid arrest by driving off/ running away should be shot on the off-chance that they are a terrorist who happens to be carrying a bomb or gun?

Why not shoot any Arab looking person driving because they might not be stopped by a cop in time eh? Maybe ban 'em from driving altogether?

Like it or not the penalty for trying to escape cops by car or foot is not death. And rightly so.

I think 'les flics' have had a bad reputation since I was young. I don't know if that's justified or not as such, but they don't make a nice impression here that's for sure.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Good to see this finally reaching the MSM. They delayed reporting on it as long as they could 

And what are these alleged  time delays?

What sources and timings do you have that we should NOW be aware of!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BusyB said:

Why not shoot any Arab looking person driving because they might not be stopped by a cop in time eh? Maybe ban 'em from driving altogether?

Like it or not the penalty for trying to escape cops by car or foot is not death. And rightly so.

I think 'les flics' have had a bad reputation since I was young. I don't know if that's justified or not as such, but they don't make a nice impression here that's for sure.

let's turn this around - what kind of person does one have to be to decide to try speeding away from police officers while having a gun pointed on oneself ?

judging from videos from the US, the shooting would have been legal there.

but how does such a situation even occur ?

was the mistake made before that situation, by not putting the 17 old away in prison for some years because of his previous crimes ?

why are so many parents total failures when it comes to controlling their children ?

why aren't parents ashamed of their criminal children ?

why don't people follow police officers' lawful orders ?

what about the educational system ?

the problems are many and deep rooted, only becoming worse since the liar Mitterrand's presidency in 1981 and lax policy before and after. But things had started to derail even before that, Giscard practically handed Mitterrand the presidency and before that, De Gaulle lay in bed with the communists, which had nefarious results on French politics past WW2.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1