Distraught Young Man Seeks Justice after House Collapses in Mid-night Disaster

webfact

aa5645059a2f0208acb12c1d2df23b0efc8034be10d774bb59d5f7f9f892d13d.jpg

A distressed young man's home was severely damaged when his house wall collapsed onto him as he slept during the night. The disastrous event, resembling scenes from a movie, resulted in his injuries and flooding of the residence.

The 26-year-old, identified as Jirasilp, called for media assistance and for the developers and relevant parties to be held accountable for the horrifying incident. He expressed his desire to sell back his house, reported Siam Rath.

809c6b40e639123d1c75be9430c6455817e97c44f2a5a54e2b678404ca5522dc.jpg

Photo: Siam Rath

Residing in a community within Nikhom Patana, Rayong, Jirasilp's dwelling is one amongst a cluster of six houses. The calamity struck on July 1, 2023, at 2:00 AM amidst heavy rainfall.

Jirasilp, who was sleeping alone in his room at the time, narrowly escaped the collapsing debris with his dogs. Subsequently, he received medical attention at a nearby hospital.

0968ff4ccdc412883c8995f4918cd90666b1b3ac400548c78a6a29e2c47faf00.jpg

Jirasilp has resided in the house, priced at 2,434,000 baht, for three years, following a purchase agreement in 2020. Despite previously noticing minor leakage issues during rainfall, the significance of the situation only dawned on him after the catastrophic incident.

His mother, Nattharujee, a 48-year-old vendor, pleaded with the developers for justice and empathy towards her hardworking son, who had invested heavily to secure this house as their first home.

5d01cb2a0fd54b8b056ef0935e2f527eac2c2a8ab7e0453bb2a24ee4bf00a8e0.jpg

Top Photo: Siam Rath

#news

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-07-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

8 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

This is what happens when there are no standards in place re construction... inspections are bought... materials are substandard... labor is unskilled.

And they don't cost what they do in the west...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

I'm not saying what's right or wrong or who's at fault..

just saying what is.

If the money spent on corruption was directed at the construction, people could get a safe house and it would most likely not cost more.  

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What wall? it looks as if bits of the wall has collapsed and most of it is outside, it is most peculiar, it looks rather as if something has hit the wall in various places or an explosion has occurred and the wall has suffered Schrapnell damage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Not a lot of evidence showing rebar support in those walls.  Watched them build my house, every 2nd row of cement blocks had a 3/8" metal rebar strand (3 meters in length) strung between support columns.  That's on the builder.  100% every building in that complex is the same way.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kensisaket said:

Not a lot of evidence showing rebar support in those walls.  Watched them build my house, every 2nd row of cement blocks had a 3/8" metal rebar strand (3 meters in length) strung between support columns.  That's on the builder.  100% every building in that complex is the same way.

Correct as noted when my house was build same but today many of the houses I see build particularly lower income homes even some projects selling for 3 plus million they use what looks like cement cedar blocks no rebars. 

From the looks window area wall might have been a leak someone cut a corner? 

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Not really,in that case it was the cladding to the wrong spec rather than fundamental construction. Not to diminish the catastrophic consequences of that error.

Cladding on the cheap , just the same shoddy construction as in the Thai house.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Same sort of thing happened to my mate a while ago. The house balcony had a solid edge around it about 8 inches deep. There were 3 one inch drains fitted. During a monsoon rain the drains were plugged with leaves and the balcony filled with water resulting in it collapsing in to the lounge..

Drain maintenance would have saved the balcony and the lounge. I clean the drains outside my home and cutters 4 time a week. in in the wet season as i know there is going to be lots of water.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

This is what happens when there are no standards in place re construction... inspections are bought... materials are substandard... labor is unskilled.

Yup! Where's Health and Safety when you need 'em?

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

From the photos it looks like it's an outside surrounding wall that has collapsed and fall onto the house...:whistling:

Maybe the garden wall, was extended, just like the one at the rear of the house in the first photo. and those concrete beams don't appear to have come from the house. So WHO built/extended the height of the wall?

1586226586_gardenwall.jpg.824a8bac3de24d34e56430c65b4c10fb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite previously noticing minor leakage issues during rainfall, the significance of the situation only dawned on him after the catastrophic incident.

"When the house collapse, I started to really suspect that something wasn't right with the quality of the building work." ????