Cooked Food in the Fridge.

On 7/6/2023 at 8:48 AM, Crossy said:

Difficult to put absolutes.

If it looks and smells OK then it probably is, but I'm not a food hygienist, nor do I play one on AseanNow.

General rule when re-heating is to make sure the centre of the food is "piping hot", whatever that really means.

Cooked chicken leftovers should not be left un-chilled for more than 2 hours because of the bacteria build up . If more than 2 hours and it is chilled , then cooked piping hot the bacteria will be killed but not the trace toxins which can give you problems . Also left over rice or uneaten rice must be cooled quickly to refrigerate and only reheated once sine it gains bacteria quickly . But many will disagree and reheat rice a few times but I quote from hygienists .

24 minutes ago, superal said:

Cooked chicken leftovers should not be left un-chilled for more than 2 hours because of the bacteria build up . If more than 2 hours and it is chilled , then cooked piping hot the bacteria will be killed but not the trace toxins which can give you problems . Also left over rice or uneaten rice must be cooled quickly to refrigerate and only reheated once sine it gains bacteria quickly . But many will disagree and reheat rice a few times but I quote from hygienists .

Yeah, back in the '80s when I was traveling a lot and staying in motels, we'd put the leftover bucket of chicken on the back of the TV to keep it warm for breakfast. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, superal said:

But many will disagree and reheat rice a few times

Monsters! Absolute monsters!

Rice is stodgy enough after being reheated even once.. I can't imagine how foul it would taste after a second round in the microwave,  nevermind the health implications!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

Monsters! Absolute monsters!

Rice is stodgy enough after being reheated even once.. I can't imagine how foul it would taste after a second round in the microwave,  nevermind the health implications!

It tastes the same, it's just the texture that goes south. 

Assuming it was cooked right to start with, leftover steamed rice makes great fried rice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Assuming it was cooked right to start with, leftover steamed rice makes great fried rice. 

Texture is important. As far as I'm concerned texture has just as much, perhaps even more, of an impact on the way something tastes as the flavour itself.

I agree about using leftover steamed rice to make fried rice. That's something that I often do.

11 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Texture is important. As far as I'm concerned texture has just as much, perhaps even more, of an impact on the way something tastes as the flavour itself.

I agree about using leftover steamed rice to make fried rice. That's something that I often do.

I think how good something tastes is directly proportional to how hungry you are, and how convenient it is. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 8:39 AM, NoshowJones said:

Food that has been cooked, ie potato's, meat, chicken, after leaving it to cool, how many days is it safe to keep in the fridge before heating it up in the microwave and eating?

The food will be in a container which is specially for keeping in the fridge.

lol... arnt you safety person...... I get concerned when thais leave food out all night....  and then cook for me... yuk...  especially pork..  I read medically after 5 hours at ambient temp the bacteria rate goes insane.. could be more for raw meet... whatever... fresh is best..... and dont getg me started with fish guts in all day poising the flesh yuuk....

1 minute ago, Seeall said:

lol... arnt you safety person...... I get concerned when thais leave food out all night....  and then cook for me... yuk...  especially pork..  I read medically after 5 hours at ambient temp the bacteria rate goes insane.. could be more for raw meet... whatever... fresh is best..... and dont getg me started with fish guts in all day poising the flesh yuuk....

It is amazing that we did not become extinct long before refrigeration. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

What's the alternative to cooled down cooked rice? 5555

46 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Fried rice is often made from raw rice, or were you asking something else? 

Not by my wife it isn't.

She uses the rice cooker to steam the rice first, then uses the steamed rice to make fried rice.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Not by my wife it isn't.

She uses the rice cooker to steam the rice first, then uses the steamed rice to make fried rice.

yes, best use of leftover rice

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Not by my wife it isn't.

Well by mother it was, and by me it is. 

One pot, half the time, better tasting. 

They way I do eggs would freak a few on here out.  I like my scrambled, very loose.  Sunny side up, not over easy, though I do use a fork to make sure most of the whites, is heated.

Egg Nog, made with raw eggs, not cooked, not tempered in ... RAW.  As fresh as possible, and may take crackin' a few to get ones I'll use.

Don't know anyone, died or sick from salmonella.  If remember, it's usually from outer egg shell itself, not being clean.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

They way I do eggs would freak a few on here out.  I like my scrambled, very loose.  Sunny side up, not over easy, though I do use a fork to make sure most of the whites, is heated.

Egg Nog, made with raw eggs, not cooked, not tempered in ... RAW.  As fresh as possible, and may take crackin' a few to get ones I'll use.

Don't know anyone, died or sick from salmonella.  If remember, it's usually from outer egg shell itself, not being clean.

yep the outside can be covered in bad stuff...another trick is I buy exp'd eggs as they peel better when boiled due to air getting in.....can put them in water and see if they float..means no good but standing are still usable.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Well by mother it was, and by me it is. 

One pot, half the time, better tasting. 

fun fact chinese rests. made fried rice as a way to get rid of older rice.....same way when u buy a marinaded steak its done so to cover the browning of the meat..still good but no one wants to buy brown meat due to oxygenation .......also beware of the soup of the day aka leftovers

4 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

yep the outside can be covered in bad stuff...another trick is I buy exp'd eggs as they peel better when boiled due to air getting in.....can put them in water and see if they float..means no good but standing are still usable.......

We usually get a 30ct tray of eggs.  Boil about 10-15, depending how fast we go through them.  Older better as you say, for peeling.  

Problem is, the date on the eggs are added by Makro, a sticker, not a printed producer's label.   So that date is really iffy, along with the tray of eggs itself.

Some eggs will be fresh, nice stand up yolks, other will flatten out as soon as they hit the pan.  So I usually crack eggs separately in a bowl, cooking the perky fresh ones for me, and the dog gets the others.  Or I'm having an omelet ????

Knew about, but forgot, thanks for the reminder about floating eggs.   Although when making Egg Nog, it's only the freshest from the tray.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Thanks friend!.... The manual says press any key......still looking for the ANY key......   ????    (,,,,,)

Anyone except the comma and period keys should do ????

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do you understand that leaving cooked food hanging around unprotected is not the same as dry-aging meat.

Yes. People tell you to throw one away and pay extra for the other. 

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think how good something tastes is directly proportional to how hungry you are, and how convenient it is. 

That certainly has an impact. But it doesn't matter how hungry you are, a can of dog food is never going to taste good...

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

We usually get a 30ct tray of eggs.  Boil about 10-15, depending how fast we go through them.  Older better as you say, for peeling.  

Problem is, the date on the eggs are added by Makro, a sticker, not a printed producer's label.   So that date is really iffy, along with the tray of eggs itself.

Some eggs will be fresh, nice stand up yolks, other will flatten out as soon as they hit the pan.  So I usually crack eggs separately in a bowl, cooking the perky fresh ones for me, and the dog gets the others.  Or I'm having an omelet ????

Knew about, but forgot, thanks for the reminder about floating eggs.   Although when making Egg Nog, it's only the freshest from the tray.

In the UK I kept upwards of 40 free range hens . Always a pleasure to collect the eggs from the nest boxes . Often got double yolkers from the pullets . New eggs do not break their yolks so easy . It is the older eggs that do and are also flat yolked . Breaking your eggs into a small bowl before putting in the frying pan is good practice because as you say , if it looks old you can dis guard it and not contaminate the other eggs in the pan . Here in Thailand I once broke an egg to fry and it was black inside . Changed the supply shop after that . The egg in water test is reliable and I now use that regularly . (  Lay egg in a bowl of tap water , if it lies flat or stays on the bottom it is fairly fresh . If it stands up and comes to the surface , it is old and best not eaten

• Thumbs Up 2

54 minutes ago, superal said:

In the UK I kept upwards of 40 free range hens . Always a pleasure to collect the eggs from the nest boxes . Often got double yolkers from the pullets . New eggs do not break their yolks so easy . It is the older eggs that do and are also flat yolked . Breaking your eggs into a small bowl before putting in the frying pan is good practice because as you say , if it looks old you can dis guard it and not contaminate the other eggs in the pan . Here in Thailand I once broke an egg to fry and it was black inside . Changed the supply shop after that . The egg in water test is reliable and I now use that regularly . (  Lay egg in a bowl of tap water , if it lies flat or stays on the bottom it is fairly fresh . If it stands up and comes to the surface , it is old and best not eaten

I think the eggs in Thailand are a lot tastier than the eggs in the US, I know the yokes are a lot darker. 

For hard boiled eggs, it's pretty tough to beat those little egg cookers. Cheap, easy and they come out perfect. I used to like pickling eggs. I make deviled eggs now and then, my wife's family loves them. 

• Like 2

On 7/7/2023 at 3:25 PM, KhunLA said:

indeed diff egg dates for diff uses...but the floating egg trick works for me....if floating like a body toss it..if standing up use same day.....i would get the discounted tray at work and make deviled eggs and egg salad..which the Japanese customers loved......the trick with work was arguing about thai mayo vs western and "quality" control....same went for tuna there...

if buy eggs room temp store same  if bought cold keep cold.....love the "orange" yolk!

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the eggs in Thailand are a lot tastier than the eggs in the US, I know the yokes are a lot darker. 

For hard boiled eggs, it's pretty tough to beat those little egg cookers. Cheap, easy and they come out perfect. I used to like pickling eggs. I make deviled eggs now and then, my wife's family loves them. 

used to sell deviled eggs at Rimping.....egg salad on croissant too   dash of dijon!