Cooked Food in the Fridge.

Food that has been cooked, ie potato's, meat, chicken, after leaving it to cool, how many days is it safe to keep in the fridge before heating it up in the microwave and eating?

The food will be in a container which is specially for keeping in the fridge.

I generally only eat about half the food that my wife cooks in the evening and eat the other half for lunch the next day (if I am hungry enough).

After that I leave it out and my wife takes it away to feed the neighbours dogs or cats.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Do the smell test.....more often than not, it's a good indicator if food is spoiled or not.

Applies to gals too ????

You dine at the Y?

48 minutes ago, connda said:

Lord.  I leave food out up to 18 hours after cooking.  You sound like my Mum (and most Westerners) who will attest that if food isn't promptly tossed into the fridge after cooking - you'll come down with "food poisoning" for sure, for sure!  I actually had that same view until I spent a couple of days with my sister about 25 years ago.  My ex-wife complained about how "Unhygienic" my sister was as she'd leave food out overnight <gasp - it will kill you!>  I first strayed into the territory of eating <gasp> unrefrigerated foods left out overnight during that stay.  I ate day old leftover chicken and AMAZING! I didn't die or even get sick.  It actually tasted great - do you understand that game (fowl, deer, et.al. are left to age? - Every hunter should be dead meat).  Since then?  I realized that my sister, who hated my mother with a passion, actually refused to do what "mummy told her to do."  <Sigh>  But?  She changed my worldview.  My worldview is now aligned with the 7 billion and not The Golden One Billion most of whom are germaphobes. 

I routinely leave my food out to the next day and then put it in Tupperware and into the fridge the next day.  Anywhere from 12 to 24 hours later.  My rule of thumb - if it smells Ok, it's Ok.  I'm in my 70s and still sucking air.  The only time I've had "Food Poisoning" in Thailand has been after eating at internationally known fast-food restaurants whom names I will not mention due to Thailand's Machiavellian defamation laws.  I've never been sick eating my own food or food cooked by street vendors and Thai Mom&Pop Restaurants.  One exception - I bought some imported Romaine Lettuce and was sicker than a dog. Western Romaine is known for it's ability to carry nasties.  Well washed too.  Now - why do Western countries have such a problem with "food poisoning" and salmonella?  Imported Romaine Lettuce is permanently off of my menu.  No lettuce I've grown or purchased in Thailand has ever made me sick.

I'll make some exceptions - home made mayo.  Which most of you will not eat because of your fear of salmonella and "raw eggs").  If you eat raw eggs you'll die for sure, for sure!  All Westerners know that just like them knowing that any food not put in the fridge immediately and tossed in a day or two will kill you "for sure for sure!"  So, I'm back to "I'm in my 70s and still sucking air," and nothing I've cooked or prepared (potato salad with home made mayo which does go right into the refrigerator, one of the few things) has ever made me sick.

"It's just a matter of time before bacteria will Get You!""  I've heard similar tales over the last three years and have never had as much as a few sniffles in mid-2020.  I take no precautions.  I should be dead.

Yet?  "I'm in my 70s and still sucking air."  But?  If "it gets me?"  C'est la vie.  You're gonna die from something at my age, much sooner than later my guess.

Of course. In the meanwhile - Bon Appetite.

Oddly enough I am 79 and I am really sucking air as I have a lower lung infection.

Yesterday was the first time in a while that I have felt so rough that I crashed out for 2 hours in the evening, followed by 45 minutes on the toilet, followed by another 2 hours sleep.

It may have been the massaman curry from the previous evening I ate at lunchtime as normally I don't have a problem. I felt a bit better today and I have an Australian beef steak with mashed potato and gravy for my evening meal.

The rest I will eat for lunch tomorrow after I nuke it in the microwave. 

Any leftovers will go to the animals as they need to eat too.

It doesn't get wasted.

• Love It 1

The Jesus Rule:

on the third day either resurrect or toss.

It is said that at one day old it has lost 50% of its nutrients.  Is that true?  The hell if I know.

Edited by bendejo

14 minutes ago, bendejo said:

It said that at one day old it has lost 50% of its nutrients.  Is that true?  The hell if I know.

A pizza will do that if left in the fridge overnight....

If it loses calories in the fridge, I'm leaving everything in there for at least a week. 

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2023 at 8:39 AM, NoshowJones said:

Food that has been cooked, ie potato's, meat, chicken, after leaving it to cool, how many days is it safe to keep in the fridge before heating it up in the microwave and eating?

The food will be in a container which is specially for keeping in the fridge.

until it has green mould on it.....or starts to stink !!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluejets said:

More importantly, the temperature must be kept below 4 degrees C.

Watched a doc yesterday on cooking of rice and then storing in the frig.

There , you must cool as quickly as possible under running water after cooking, then store in the frig for only 1 day.

Then it can be reheated or served cold.

Apparently some kind of nasty bug can grow in the rice if not done in this manner.

I'd imagine there would be some other conformation out there on the net.(haven't looked yet)

Don't eat rice, only farang food.

• Sad 2