Recent visit by immigration. No prior calling and didn't have to sign anything

The wife and I run a small business and live in the building where its operated. We are closed 1 day per week and on that day 4 immig officers turned up at the front door with no prior appointment. Lucky I was there. The wife was out and she drove back as requested. 

They waited in the customer area and I went to get my Pport, yellow book, WP and pink id card. I think one of them said that I have a WP. It was all very friendly I suppose. I pointed at some documents he was holding and said 'do you want me to sign anything'. Was told no

Its been 2 years since they last visited- different guys. An old officer was very full on telling me to sign a doc in thai language whilst taking a photo. I said I will get it translated first. He raised his voice in disagreement...

Is it normal that they dont call before arriving and not make me sign anything?

thanks

On 7/7/2023 at 4:37 AM, JimHuaHin said:

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago in Hua Hin.  It was about two weeks after I had extended my Non Imm O-A Retirement Visa.  Two immigration police arrive unannounced at home mid-afternoon while I was sitting outside reading.  I rushed inside to put on a mask, shirt and trousers.  They had a copy of my latest retirement extension application, and just wanted to take two pictures of me at the front door and in front of the house next to the house number.  Nothing to sign.  Smilies and wais, and good-bye.  No problems.

Did you have to include a hand-drawn map showing the way from the immigration office to your humble abode with your latest retirement extension application?

Edited by OJAS

On 7/7/2023 at 8:41 AM, advancebooking said:

Is it normal that they dont call before arriving

No it's not normal. A phone call prior can save them a wasted journey.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Disgruntled customer or neighbor reported you for "working as a farang"... when they saw your work permit they were deflated.

I doubt you'd find many Thais that would know where and who to report you to. Been here 18 years coming and as much as I get seen working around my house/garden I've never been reported.

• Haha 1

I had two IOs turn up the other week for my Non O ext (spouse), two witnesses required and available.

The copper's didn't want to talk to me and left without even drinking the cold water supplied.

My wife was spewing that I didn't give them a tip, 555

One of the fellas left his Immegration police cap behind and they came back 30 minutes later to retrieve it. Still no tip.

The cop said all OK but two days later had to take another no- related witness into the office.

Passed that test so should be good to go.

We did get a phone call before they rocked up.

This on my fifth ext but with a one year spell. Same spouse same address. Waste of resources?

Edited by sherwood

2 hours ago, advancebooking said:

The fact that they are not calling before arriving seems to indicate that they are trying to catch out the farang for illegal activities. Most likely new policy. They always used to call beforehand. 

It is not a new policy. The same thing happened to me in 2013 when living at a Ban in Surin Province.

14 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I doubt you'd find many Thais that would know where and who to report you to. Been here 18 years coming and as much as I get seen working around my house/garden I've never been reported.

As of right now and in the past as well , working around your own home has never been not allowed... so no, you wouldn't be reported and if you were the RTP wouldn't waste their time... however that too may change. 

My wife runs a hairdressers in building in our grounds.  Sometimes I sit in the shop  when she is away working in the farm. I never do any more than phone her to tell he customer is waiting.  Sometimes I have sold hair colouring to customers (wife keeps a stock of all popular colours)

I am staying here on Non O Retirement extensions.  Could this in any way be considered that I am working in her shop.?

Shop is opposite the village Police office, and we have never had any trouble.

42 minutes ago, Robin said:

My wife runs a hairdressers in building in our grounds.  Sometimes I sit in the shop  when she is away working in the farm. I never do any more than phone her to tell he customer is waiting.  Sometimes I have sold hair colouring to customers (wife keeps a stock of all popular colours)

I am staying here on Non O Retirement extensions.  Could this in any way be considered that I am working in her shop.?

Just phoning your wife to tell her that she has a customer is surely OK. However, selling anything from the shop is definitely against the rules, and could get you into trouble. Your activities may be tolerated, but it only needs one zealous official or vindictive neighbour to potentially put you in a world of hurt.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Robin said:

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you are not being paid a salary. 

I asked the immig officers when they visited me if Im allowed to do volunteer work. He said no problem as long as you are not getting paid. 

If someone walks into your shop and starts recording you on a video then you might be wary of this...

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Or catching you doing something illegal

I think your comment is spot on the money. Basically they are trying to catch us out. 

Cant wait to get citizenship and then I dont have to deal with this B/s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2023 at 8:41 AM, advancebooking said:

The wife and I run a small business and live in the building where its operated.

If you have a work permit then you need, as far as I know, a couple of Thai employees.

I was told this is what they check from time to time.

On 7/8/2023 at 3:32 PM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Disgruntled customer or neighbor reported you for "working as a farang"... when they saw your work permit they were deflated.

I say nothing to neighbors and avoid them if possible. Anything can be misinterpreted.

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you have a work permit then you need, as far as I know, a couple of Thai employees.

I was told this is what they check from time to time.

We have 6. But when they turned up it was our day off. Our business is closed 1 day a week. 

On 7/9/2023 at 11:23 AM, advancebooking said:

I asked the immig officers when they visited me if Im allowed to do volunteer work. He said no problem as long as you are not getting paid.

Nonsense in the example you provided. 

The immigration officer provided false information. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2023 at 9:04 AM, Kenny202 said:

Sounds strange. I would say an informal visit to see if you were working in the business. Maybe one of your local competition fingered you. Difficult situation when the shove papers (in Thai) in front of u and demand ur signature. You don't want to incur their wrath and start a dick swinging contest u won't win but u also don't want to incriminate urself. I've noticed older Thais, particularly police don't seem to have much regard for westerners. Was talking to an older cop once and wife said later he was referring to me as "money man" in a derogatory way.

That's not cool.  He should call you "Golden Ticket" like your wife does.

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Nonsense in the example you provided. 

The immigration officer provided false information. 

Its the absolute truth. He told me that all I have to do is get a letter from them saying that Im not taking a salary. 

Maybe you have no idea yourself? Next time you go to immig office why dont you ask them yourself. Maybe it depends on the office I dont know. I dont live in a tourist city at all. Therefore it might be different if you live in Pattaya for example. I can assure you that Im not making it up. Using my wife I asked him the above question and that was his answer that I can do part time volunteering. 

On 7/9/2023 at 11:49 PM, JimTripper said:

I say nothing to neighbors and avoid them if possible. Anything can be misinterpreted.

I would think this attitude could very well attract a lot of attention in gossip. 

12 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

Its the absolute truth. He told me that all I have to do is get a letter from them saying that Im not taking a salary. 

Maybe you have no idea yourself? Next time you go to immig office why dont you ask them yourself. Maybe it depends on the office I dont know. I dont live in a tourist city at all. Therefore it might be different if you live in Pattaya for example. I can assure you that Im not making it up. Using my wife I asked him the above question and that was his answer that I can do part time volunteering. 

I think as always there are laws and then there are interpretations of those laws and ways which they are enforced or not.

I am pretty sure that by definition of the law working is working, paid or not.

I guess some authorities won't take this too serious, like the officer you talked to.

But is seems some officers take it very serious. And people get prosecuted.

I remember stories from bar owners in Pattaya in their own bars. If they were in the customer area, then that was no problem. If they spent a minute behind the bar, together with the bartenders, then that was interpreted as "working" (without a work permit).

It's up to you what you want to think. Just be aware that only because one officer tells you A that doesn't mean another officer also sees A and not B.