Why don't we cook more?

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah good on ya I know you like to dabble in cooking but it's never been my thing. 

My only complaint is my wife won't passed tool's to me when I am checking my motorbike which she calls my Mia noi. ????

I used to do most of my own cooking and down in the house I still have a table top oven and a microwave.

I can do roasts, grilled food, bread etc and my wife will bring veggies down if I ask.

In the last couple of months I have lost a bit of interest as I have a breathing and a balance problem.

• Like 2

I make Yorkshire puddings every week. The in laws even love them. Apart from that I usually make my own beefburgers, chorizo and beef penne, along with my sweet tooth needs of bakewell tarts and custard creams. 

I think after this thread I will give your pie a go. I used to make a lot of mash potato, so that's already half the job done. Rather than boil them in a pan though, I put them in the microwave for about 12mins. If I am having it with fish I will add lime juice to it

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 7:20 PM, BenStark said:

Why would someone spend time and effort to go out buy the ingredients, then spend time again preparing and cooking, and lastly washing up cooking pots and clean the kitchen?

Hours wasted for a 20 minute meal, when you just can go to a shop and buy it ready-made, or even better go to a restaurant, where you can order it at almost the same price it cost you to do yourself.

Some of us, like myself, prefer to cook most of the time as we are very health-conscious. We can adjust dishes to include more vegetables, good oil and leave out ingredients that if consumed long-term might not be good for our health.

A lot of Thai food is fried and the oils used are not healthy. There's also a lot of sugar and flavouring sauces, none of which are good for you if you consume too much of them.

Certainly, there is a good argument for eating out in Thailand if you want convenience and to save time (and oftentimes money too). But for me, I prefer to cook at home most of the time and only eat out sometimes, primarily because of the health benefits of knowing that what I am eating is healthy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pagallim said:

This is pork shoulder in a marinade that went into the fridge today.   I'll be cooking it in a pressure cooker tomorrow for pulled pork, and making some Chinese Bao buns to have it in, along with some pickled vegetables and Srirach sauce.   The pork came from Makro this morning, nearly 2 kilos, and only 212 baht!   Amazing.

20230712_092807.jpg

Just a follow up for this post.   This morning, pork into a pressure cooker with the marinade, topped up with about 500ml of pineapple juice and mixed together.   Once the pressure cooker had got up to heat, 50 minutes then allowed to cool down.   Meat removed from the cooker and allowed to rest for 5 minutes before pulling apart with a couple of forks.   Meanwhile, the juices that were left in the cooker brought to a simmer  with the lid off for about 15 minutes until turned into a thick syrupy sauce, then the pulled meat put back into the cooker and everything mixed together.   All this will be split and into the freezer, probably about 10 meals.

20230713_075902.jpg

20230713_092627.jpg

20230713_094030.jpg

20230713_094851.jpg

I love to cook.

No pics to share as I always forget to photo-bomb the cr@p outa my masterpieces lol ????

I enjoy making all sorts of fair. We are lucky as we have a great western kitchen with all the do-dads to make creating easier.

I get great joy making a cake and giving it to friends as one example. The caddies at the club go absolutely crazy for my banana, and apple, and other berry cup cakes and muffins.  

And of course being an Aussie I BBQ like a champion ????

Made my best ever (only tried to do twice before) lobster thermidor last weekend! It was amazing from the feedback we got around the table ???????? ... yeah I'm trying slowly more adventurous and difficult stuff.

Getting the guts up to make a fruit salad whipped cream and meringue 'pavlova' (Aussie delicacy) lol ???????????????????? n send the estate staff into full sugar overload soon.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 2:20 PM, BenStark said:

Why would someone spend time and effort to go out buy the ingredients, then spend time again preparing and cooking, and lastly washing up cooking pots and clean the kitchen?

Hours wasted for a 20 minute meal, when you just can go to a shop and buy it ready-made, or even better go to a restaurant, where you can order it at almost the same price it cost you to do yourself.

Rarely had a store bought pie that comes close to a home made one. At least not out here.

Although Marks and Spencers Large Bramley Apple Pie back home would take some beating.

And then there is the issue of price. Much cheaper making at home. Especially if cooking in bulk.

Edited by phetphet

20 hours ago, pagallim said:

This is pork shoulder in a marinade that went into the fridge today.   I'll be cooking it in a pressure cooker tomorrow for pulled pork, and making some Chinese Bao buns to have it in, along with some pickled vegetables and Srirach sauce.   The pork came from Makro this morning, nearly 2 kilos, and only 212 baht!   Amazing.

20230712_092807.jpg

Great minds think alike.  I made Bao pork steamed buns and send photos to Cooking With Lau (YouTuber) and they couldn't believe they were homemade and quite honestly if I hadn't made them I wouldn't have believed it either.  Check him out he was a Chinese restaurant chef for 30 years or so.  Also check out Coure di Cioccolato on YouTube. He's an Italian living here also and he has tons of great recipes and he shops where we do so easy to source everything. I learned how to cure meats at home from him.  Talk about saving money!  This is my lonzino and homemade bread.  Also my home cured and smoked salmon on my bagels.

Screenshot_2023-07-13-16-05-39-068_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2023-07-13-16-09-03-973_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

I used to do most of my own cooking and down in the house I still have a table top oven and a microwave.

I can do roasts, grilled food, bread etc and my wife will bring veggies down if I ask.

In the last couple of months I have lost a bit of interest as I have a breathing and a balance problem.

Yeah my asthma is better now the pollution period has past.

I get checked out every 3 months at gov hospital not expensive and they take care very much.

Hope you get help and feel better soon old cyber friend.

As married for first time (ever) at age 70 I have been cooking for myself my whole life.

These are some of my more recent additions to the repertoire:

> Using Tefal pressure cooker for chick peas and red beans for Hummus and (no meat) frijoles

> Using air fryer for karaage chicken and grilled shrimp

> making knock-off KFC cole slaw

> Using food processor for poached chicken-breast chicken salad

> Massaman curry using LOBO spice packet

• Thumbs Up 1