Why don't we cook more?

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yep, I'm lazy ........

Thai street food and restaurants everywhere.

A woman in our homes to cook Thai food for us.

But why don't we make the effort to cook our own cultures food more?

Today I did Cottage Pie, 0.5Kg minced pork, an onion, 0.75Kg of potato and some gravy powder.

Brown the mince in a saucepan with a bit of oil, add water to cover + 3 teaspoons of gravy powder (or a couple of stock cubes from 7-11) + 1 chopped onion.

Add in salt, pepper, chopped garlic if you can be bothered and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.

Peel and chop the potatoes into chunks, put in a saucepan an cover with water, boil for 5 mins.

Ladle the cooked mince into any style dish that you can put in an oven, not too wet!

Pick out the cooked potato chunks, put in a bowl with a bit of milk, mash with a fork, cover up the mince.

Put in an oven (Otto is fine) for around 15 mins at 150c, until the top browns.

Then eat.

20mins of work costs about 100bht, enough for 3-4 portions. 

1689058391234.jpg

Because 2nd rate pies arent good.

• Sad 2

I tend to buy cooked protein, because it's a bit messy. I do have an air fryer, for pork and chicken roasts.

I make my own stewed apple with ginger, dried mango, and cloves. I poach eggs every day, except when my GF is making me omelets. She also does pat goong and mussuman curry.

I blend up a soup with broccoli, cauliflower, olives and chili.

I cook as much as I want to, and eat out for variety.

While the pies look delicious, not healthy food.

• Like 1

I enjoy cooking  and the finished product is as I like it. My skills don't really extend beyond chop it up, chuck it in the pan or slow cooker and stir as required. A risotto needs constant stirring but the results are worth it. A slow cooker makes cheap Thai beef (chuck) taste like food from the gods.

There is a thread for Western food cookery that is a bit neglected but some good simple recipes on there.

• Like 2

I think it's wonderful that we have all the choices here.

Maybe I eat sandwiches, which I make the way I like them, at home.

Maybe I prepare pork chop, the way I like it, at home.

And sometimes we buy ready-made food at the market.

And often my Thai gf buys fresh food at the market, and she prepares it.

And sometimes we go out to restaurants.

I don't like much advance planning. We decide each day spontaneously what we want to eat and where. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, champers said:

I enjoy cooking  and the finished product is as I like it. My skills don't really extend beyond chop it up, chuck it in the pan or slow cooker and stir as required. A risotto needs constant stirring but the results are worth it. A slow cooker makes cheap Thai beef (chuck) taste like food from the gods.

There is a thread for Western food cookery that is a bit neglected but some good simple recipes on there.

YouTube has loads of step by step cooking videos , with every type of food imaginable. When I retired my cooking skills were less than yours, (get meat, apply heat LOL) . The other day made a spinach risotto, only thing is I used two cups of rice, and was easting risotto for a week. ???? still got a tupperware in the refrigerator, that is past its sell by date. but i will not throw it in the garbage until thursday, , because garbage pickup id friday and I dont want it sitting in the garbage can for a few days evolving.  , 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Because I/we enjoy cooking, and do a much better job than any restaurant, usually.  The savings, just a plus.  More than enough time, and really helps to get me out of house, and doing something.

Not a whole lot quality restaurants where we are, though can't say there are anywhere.  We only go out to eat, for something we can't and won't bother doing at home, usually.   A big reason why we enjoy coffee shops, as pastries are a time consuming effort.

agreed  and if your location is true I had a job interview at a 5 star resort there..could of had the dream job as Chef but the local kitchen staff didnt understand a word i said ...lost that gig

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Maybe that is true in Pattaya but not in the provinces. Very limited western food ready made. As for costs and labor , If you make a large batch then keep in the freezer you only have to cook once but you have 6 meals prepared. Works out cheaper cooking in bulk.

Agree. Most things I cook for myself I try to have 3-4 meals out if it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Im not allowed in the kitchen, but my wife is a great cook she cooks almost everyday and she will do farang food for me, pies as well she tends to make a big one in a Pyrex dish, 

I get alsorts even Thai style pizzas, 

17264660_10155475587181874_7553765774480413693_n.jpg

does she have a sister? asking for a hungry friend

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Yep, I'm lazy ........

Thai street food and restaurants everywhere.

A woman in our homes to cook Thai food for us.

But why don't we make the effort to cook our own cultures food more?

Today I did Cottage Pie, 0.5Kg minced pork, an onion, 0.75Kg of potato and some gravy powder.

Brown the mince in a saucepan with a bit of oil, add water to cover + 3 teaspoons of gravy powder (or a couple of stock cubes from 7-11) + 1 chopped onion.

Add in salt, pepper, chopped garlic if you can be bothered and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.

Peel and chop the potatoes into chunks, put in a saucepan an cover with water, boil for 5 mins.

Ladle the cooked mince into any style dish that you can put in an oven, not too wet!

Pick out the cooked potato chunks, put in a bowl with a bit of milk, mash with a fork, cover up the mince.

Put in an oven (Otto is fine) for around 15 mins at 150c, until the top browns.

Then eat.

20mins of work costs about 100bht, enough for 3-4 portions. 

1689058391234.jpg

Correct name for this dish is Swineherds pie.

Cottage pie is, by definition, made with beef and if made with lamb becomes Shepherds pie.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sirineou said:

YouTube has loads of step by step cooking videos , with every type of food imaginable.

I check out online recipes and youtube cooking a bit but it is annoying that most every one says "This is the best meat loaf recipe ever" or "I made this and the family ate it all up and wanted more."

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

you cant beat cooking at home you know exactly whats gone into it and how old it it, last month I had family here they stayed in a hotel in Karon every night was a nightmare where to go and what to eat, I have to say most of the places we went to was garbage all aimed at tourist disappointed to say the least, it wasn't made easy as we had 3 none pork eating muslims and a vegetarian it was not easy,

How them restaurants get away with it i don't know, and the tourist think it's great,

and they know how to charge,

My grand daughter wanted a Hot Dog 340 baht in the hotel I said you are <deleted> joking.........? she's not even 3 years old, disgusting. 

• Like 1