Police Prepare For Nationwide Protests, Parliament Heavily Guarded

webfact

21 minutes ago, superal said:

You are forgetting that the MF party mandate is based on reform and changing parts of the constitution including lèse-majesté  laws . Not just another bunch of fat cats

Yeah right!......:cheesy:

• Sad 3

18 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I have a daughter, she turns 18 on Sunday. She is idealistic, hates corruption, and wants to live in a modern, pluralist and progressive country. So do her friends. There are millions like her. They predominantly voted for MFP.

I want my daughter to realise her dreams. I don't have a vote, but I certainly have a dog in this fight!

I have an 18 year old son who has just started uni.

Like you 

quote " I don't have a vote, but I certainly have a dog in this fight!"

On 7/14/2023 at 2:25 PM, IamNoone88 said:

On the contrary, who would be stupid enough to knowingly retain shares in a media company, especially when your predecesor was banned for the same reason and announce inflamitory policies on changing the lesse majeste laws. That is just plain stupid and shows a lack of polical awareness.

Amusingly self-assured. I think both cases you refer to were not black and white were they? Interestingly enough there was at least two charges against Thanathorn... so charge II would've VERY LIKELY done the job failing charge 1? Re Pita, it is highly likely that failing charge 1... he'd (MFP) be got on "damaging the country's stability" with his manifesto esp in relation to lesse majeste... or similar. So how can you BE a politician pray tell ????????

Edited by Arthur Mullard

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It would be better if the coup generals and the UNELECTED senators pack up and leave. I think that Myanmar, North Korea and perhaps Cambodia would take them in, no questions asked as long as they have plenty of money, and they do.

Guillotined in a public square might be more appropriate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What are the Thai police going to do if a few million Thais take to the streets of the major cities of Thailand?

Remember October 1973?

It is interesting to look at the social media posts of young Thai military and police personnel - the vast majority that I have seen show support for "the orange shirt" movement.

10 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

What are the Thai police going to do if a few million Thais take to the streets of the major cities of Thailand?

Remember October 1973?

Did a few million Thais take to the streets in 1973.

Must say, you have a vivid imagination

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

Remember October 1973?

It is interesting to look at the social media posts of young Thai military and police personnel - the vast majority that I have seen show support for "the orange shirt" movement.

I am sure that 1973 uprising against military dictatorship is in the minds of the establishment as there are similarities with the current political stalemate. Young Thais and sympathetic young military and police personnel can be very violent and unpredictable that will worry the Royal house. I think better heads will prevail to avoid such a disaster. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have an 18 year old son who has just started uni.

Like you 

quote " I don't have a vote, but I certainly have a dog in this fight!"

We all start off as idealists, every 2 year old is an non corrupted idealist who believes in wonder, innocence encapsulated in a tiny body; even Hitler was once an adorable child. So what happened? In the words of the old PM Macmillan when asked what could possibly go wrong with his cabinets carefully worked out plans, "Why, events old chap, events". In short, the world happens.

Every time your ambitions or desires stand in opposition to someone else's ambitions and desires a sliver of innocence and good will disappears and the monster of 'me' gets stronger. The teenage you in juxtaposition to the two year old you bears no resemblance, similarly the 40 year old you bears no resemblance to the 18 year old you. We all have feet of clay and some even have legs of clay, the corrupting influence of the world affects each to different degrees but it is always there.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, BenStark said:

Did a few million Thais take to the streets in 1973.

Must say, you have a vivid imagination

That happened 50 years and several generations ago.

The world has changed during those 50 years, so has Thailand.

8 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Maybe not millions, but enough to fill the streets...

image.png.87e0563b547830d4590806bdeb8af69c.png

There are not enough police or military to cover every city in Thailand 24/7 nor can they garrisoned 24/7/365.

That is assuming that every policeman and every soldier is 100% loyal to the government.

It seems that you have not.

7 hours ago, soalbundy said:

We all start off as idealists, every 2 year old is an non corrupted idealist who believes in wonder, innocence encapsulated in a tiny body; even Hitler was once an adorable child. So what happened? In the words of the old PM Macmillan when asked what could possibly go wrong with his cabinets carefully worked out plans, "Why, events old chap, events". In short, the world happens.

Every time your ambitions or desires stand in opposition to someone else's ambitions and desires a sliver of innocence and good will disappears and the monster of 'me' gets stronger. The teenage you in juxtaposition to the two year old you bears no resemblance, similarly the 40 year old you bears no resemblance to the 18 year old you. We all have feet of clay and some even have legs of clay, the corrupting influence of the world affects each to different degrees but it is always there.

Rubbish.

At 2 years old I had no vision of a future. At 10 years old I knew I wanted to join the RAF and I did for 25 years.

At 2 years old I only knew (more or less where I lived).

At 65 I had lived and worked in 38 countries worldwide.

Peoples thoughts. ideas and circumstances change as they grow older. What you thought of at 2 or 10 years old or even when you left school change your outlook on life.

There are people in my old tow who perhaps have been on package holidays but have never left their rots behind, and they are happy with that.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Rubbish.

At 2 years old I had no vision of a future. At 10 years old I knew I wanted to join the RAF and I did for 25 years.

At 2 years old I only knew (more or less where I lived).

At 65 I had lived and worked in 38 countries worldwide.

Peoples thoughts. ideas and circumstances change as they grow older. What you thought of at 2 or 10 years old or even when you left school change your outlook on life.

There are people in my old tow who perhaps have been on package holidays but have never left their rots behind, and they are happy with that.

Basically that is what I was saying, we start off pure and innocent and then the world 'happens', we change constantly, mostly not for the better. It is probable that many politicians when young, like Pita for instance, are idealistic, full of new ideas, until reality hits home and they have to get involved with intrigue and deal making, eventually they become the old war horses that they wanted to replace. Politicians are groomed at a young age, 'The young Conservatives,' The young Liberals' etc. The political arena has its own laws, loyalties and constraints, representing the people doesn't take up much of their time. In Germany the trustworthiness of politicians was voted below that of used car salesmen in a poll taken 20 years ago when I still lived there.

• Confused 1

Prominent anti-junta protest leader Sombat Boonngam-anong said Mon the junta-appointed senators have become insolent after they overwhelmingly rejected PM candidate Pita & people should prepare themselves for a massive demonstration very soon

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1680796532537458688

58 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Prominent anti-junta protest leader Sombat Boonngam-anong said Mon the junta-appointed senators have become insolent after they overwhelmingly rejected PM candidate Pita & people should prepare themselves for a massive demonstration very soon

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1680796532537458688

But the senators are appointed, UNELECTED and fireproof under the current coup government, and they can ride roughshod over the electors who voted for Pita.

At least they believe so, but they are finding out that what the people want, is what the people voted for.

NOT what the senators want or have been ordered to vote against.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

On 7/15/2023 at 5:02 AM, alyx said:

Well, it is the duty of the embassies to issue such warnings,,,you should have a look at their stand on other countries to realise that they take no risk at all and it definitely does not reflect the real and current situation

Incorrect this was directed only at Thailand and not a general warning. 

In an attempt to keep demonstrators at bay for the second time during the bicameral vote for the next PM, police have declared a restriction on gatherings within a radius of no more than 50 metres of the Parliament Building from 6am Tues midnight on Fri.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1680881879271227392