Tourism sector anxious over possible protests in wake of failed PM vote

snoop1130

359826115_846595437029810_7715924896313494981_n.jpg

Yesterday’s political fiasco, where Pita Limjaroenrat failed to become PM despite his party winning the most votes in the general election, has left Thailand’s tourism sector on edge.

The risk of political protests if Pita Limjaroenrat fails to secure the votes needed to become PM in round 2 or 3 of voting (on July 19 and 20) is worrying tourism operators.

For now protest activity has been very limited as Thais wait for the next round of voting. The 8-party coalition, back Pita as Thailand’s next PM, make up 71% of the popular vote in the last election.

By Peter Roche

Caption: PHOTO: Facebook/พรรคก้าวไกล - Move Forward Party

Full Story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/tourism-sector-anxious-over-possible-protests-in-wake-of-failed-pm-vote/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-07-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, djayz said:

I wonder just how many sex tourists, backpackers and bargain hunters actually watch the news or have even the foggiest idea what's going on here? Aside from currency fluctuations and booze bans, do they even care? Serious question.

You raise a good point.

My opinion is that if this escalates into a nationwide protest - e.g. protests in Pattaya, Phuket, etc. as well as Bangkok - then tourist numbers will drop; otherwise, probably (tourism) business as normal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djayz said:

I wonder just how many sex tourists, backpackers and bargain hunters actually watch the news or have even the foggiest idea what's going on here? Aside from currency fluctuations and booze bans, do they even care? Serious question.

Those minority groups are indeed not concerned. What is worrying TAT is the negative effect it will have on the Chinese mass market,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

I wonder if TAT will revise its figures?

I'd be surprised if they didn't achieve the low end of their 2023 forecast which was 24 million, they were already 700k over that 2 million average per month required to May.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The risk of political protests if Pita Limjaroenrat fails to secure the votes needed to become PM in round 2 or 3 of voting (on July 19 and 20) is worrying tourism operators.

Tourists will come, politicians will do what they do best and Thais will go to work as normal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone operating in tourism should be busy planning for the collapse of the inbound market. The political situation will deteriorate in a few days and weeks time and civil disobedience will take over. Thailand can easily be replaced as a destination. Countries like Portugal already have more tourists than pre Covid and are easier & less expensive to travel to and those needing long haul destinations have Vietnam, Indonesia and other options. My partner has already put expansion plans on hold because loading up with more debt in these times is too risky. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, kinyara said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't achieve the low end of their 2023 forecast which was 24 million, they were already 700k over that 2 million average per month required to May.

They are or they said they are

Maybe that is the price the Thais have to pay as an installment to move their country into the 21st century. They went through Covid with zero compensation so, one more season down the Chao Phraya might be a one-time pain compared to what the dinosaur congregation of the oligarch elite will do to this country and its people for the foreseeable time ........ time will tell! 

15 hours ago, djayz said:

The news about the Thai election and choosing the next PM has been widely publicized on most international MSM.  Whether this will affect tourism is another question, I guess if large protests start it may influence their decision?

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Maybe the "tourism sector" should discuss this with the super corrupt senators, and kindly explain to them that they are traitors to the nation, they are causing great problems, setting the nation back and need to go now. And their health and safety is at risk. 

Sadly it will fall on deaf ears......

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, petermik said:

Sadly it will fall on deaf ears......

I concur and suggest the establishment does not care about any pain that a conflict might impose on the "lower orders", including hospitality businesspeople. They themselves are insulated.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

The problem is these embassies sending out travel warnings already, stop panicking, 

I guess they have "a duty of care" to advise when, and if, things heat up.

But absolutely agree - go easy on the panic button so early in the piece.

I have already suggested that farmers will still grow rice and people will still shop at 7/11.

Hotchilli I believe correctly summed it up simplisticly earlier in this thread.????????

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

The news about the Thai election and choosing the next PM has been widely publicized on most international MSM.  Whether this will affect tourism is another question, I guess if large protests start it may influence their decision?

Not if they have already booked.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Maybe the "tourism sector" should discuss this with the super corrupt senators, and kindly explain to them that they are traitors to the nation, they are causing great problems, setting the nation back and need to go now. And their health and safety is at risk. 

Apparently some are out of the country... perhaps Thai airways could stop giving them free flights.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Bones said:

Not if they have already booked.

If they booked no change non refundable you are correct! Usually carriers allow flight changes for a small fee and or refunds. Lets hope the airport stays open?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

If they booked no change non refundable you are correct! Usually carriers allow flight changes for a small fee and or refunds. Lets hope the airport stays open?

Spot on. I would think the "cheaper tourists" (as I used to be prior to becoming an ex-pat) will still come.

Non refundable tickets or sometimes costly changes can be a nightmare.

And yes, the airport(s) are a worry.????????

• Like 1

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

has left Thailand’s tourism sector on edge.

TAT - may I suggest you pressure the "anti" senators into supporting Pita to maintain "tourist" figures. If not, you can wave goodbye to foreign tourists including those with pre-booked holidays which they will cancel if protesters take to the streets. Senators with businesses linked to tourism will suffer - good!!!