Yet Again – Shopper’s Slipper Gets Stuck In Store Escalator

webfact

image.jpeg

JUST days after a woman’s leg was severed till the knee by a moving walkway at Don Mueang Airport a man shopping at Nonthaburi’s biggest mall on Saturday (July 15) narrowly escaped injury after his slipper got stuck in an escalator, Sanook.com said this morning (July 17).

Last Tuesday (July 11), an escalator at a shopping mall in the Bangna area suddenly jammed but the man who could have got ensnared and injured managed to jump clear and save himself.

Ms. Saranya (surname withheld), or Pook, 34, who works at one of the shops there filmed the incident and posted it on Tiktok.

Last evening reporters from this news website went to inspect this escalator located on the second floor of the shopping mall’s pink zone.

by TNR Staff

Top picture: The shopper’s slipper stuck in the escalator and store workers pulling it out. Photo: Sanook.com

@pook.saranya เหตุการณ์สดๆร้อนๆ บันไดเลื่อนอีกแล้ว ???????????????????? #รองเท้าติดบันไดเลื่อน #บันไดเลื่อน ♬ เสียงต้นฉบับ - Saranya Tienthong

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/07/17/yet-again-shoppers-slipper-gets-stuck-in-store-escalator/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-07-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Love It 1

Slipper???

Slippers are a type of shoes falling under the broader category of light footwear, that are easy to put on and off and are intended to be worn indoors, particularly at home. They provide comfort and protection for the feet when walking indoors. (Wikipedia)

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What is it with Thai businesses and victim blaming?

From the OP news report:

"The store’s management said in a statement the shopper’s slipper got caught in the escalator because he did not get off the final step on time."

Huh????  ????

I guess that should be a good lesson to us all... Get off the final step on time here in Thailand, so you don't get up having your leg or foot amputated!

You have one job as the user of an escalator. One step.

If the escalator was in working order and not missing parts, it was the "victims" fault. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, fdimike said:

If the footwear got jammed then the escalator is incorrectly adjusted.  The "combs" are set wrong leaving a gap between the steps and the combs.  Just so typical slipshod work. The "combs"  or the steps are incorrectly adjusted.  It has absolutely nothing to do with stepping off the escalator.

Of course it has everything to do with "stepping off the escalator", which is the normal procedure for which they are designed as noted by many other posters. The combs are there to pick up any dropped rubbish which might jam the mechanism. A flip flop or sandal (slipper) fully loaded with a man's weight is likely to get jammed. If he had already stopped wearing it the combs would have picked it up. The OP said "The 30-year-old man who narrowly escaped injury talked for a while on his mobile phone then walked away unharmed." This, together with the story, strongly suggests that he was on his phone and did not step off.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Well maybe a small to medium child might not think like that?

so hang on ....   that means your saying every escalator in the world is wrong ....   we don't hear of this happening every week in the other places.    If a child is very young then the mother should help teach the kid and lift him over the last step.

• Sad 3

Looks like someone wore worn sandals and could not be bothered to pick their feet up or were too distracted and not looking at the end of the escalator.

I also sense a whole new legal claim business about to brew up of false claims about caught flip flops

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I once saw a documentary, it was following an incident in the west when a kid got a foot and rubber boot dragged into the escalator. It explained how it happened, it was actually not easy to replicate. Maybe an elevator engineer can explain,

The bottom line was, there is a yellow line on the side, keep your feet away from that area, when your kids are using the escalator - control your kids, it’s not a play ground. The owner of that slipper must have not understood he needed to lift his foot to step off the machine. Pure hype. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Well maybe a small to medium child might not think like that?

And I have noticed that the Information Sign, asking parents to take care of their children on the steps, or not let lone children on, are quite often at the TOP of the stairs, not the bottom.

• Like 1

I'm  having a hard time understanding why some here think the way they do ....   I just don't get their illogical thinking on this topic.

Are you saying the escalator is faulty ?

Are you saying it's installed wrong it will cause the shoe to become stuck ?

It is 100% obvious that the guy didn't step off the escalator .... maybe he wasn't watching his feet.

How can this be the escalator when it's been fine until this indecent.  ?

It is logical to think that he didn't step off when suppose to and wrong to think otherwise.   imo

Please explain if you think different ...

19 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Looks like someone wore worn sandals and could not be bothered to pick their feet up or were too distracted and not looking at the end of the escalator.

I also sense a whole new legal claim business about to brew up of false claims about caught flip flops

exactly ....  

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

so hang on ....   that means your saying every escalator in the world is wrong ....   we don't hear of this happening every week in the other places.    If a child is very young then the mother should help teach the kid and lift him over the last step.

I am certainly NOT saying escalators everywhere are "wrong", they are extremely safe, but like anything mechanical unless maintained correctly they can malfunction. I agree with you the parents should take care of their children, but you can't keep your eye on them all the time. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

what is wrong with these people .... don't they know how to use an escalator, travelator or elevator.

are they so damn dumb they don't know to step of the escalator when it reaches the top.

Of coarse the rubber sandal will jam in the slots if it's a soft type of rubber footwear.

how hard is it to watch your step and exit before the last stair disappears ? 

I've often seen Thais hesitate before stepping onto an escalator. I guess that knowing what to do when they arrive at the other end can be a bit challenging too. They sometimes also have no concept at all that you do not stop after you've got off, blocking the people behind you from doing so.

Similarly, I remember reading on this site of a farang living his girlfriend in an apartment block, and her mother came to visit. At one stage they decided to have something to eat and the mother said she'd go fetch. A long period passed and she didn't return so her daughter decided to go and look for her, and there she was standing by the lift, waiting for it to stop at her floor. She had no idea that she had to push the button.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

The bottom line was, there is a yellow line on the side, keep your feet away from that area, when your kids are using the escalator - control your kids, it’s not a play ground. The owner of that slipper must have not understood he needed to lift his foot to step off the machine. Pure hype. 

Thais probably think the yellow line is there for decorative purposes, as they do road markings and pedestrian crossings.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

stop making excuses for the dummy escalator patrons ...

how hard is it to watch your step and exit before the last stair disappears ? 

We've all probably used them over the years.I can assure everyone that when nearing the end of the ride I'm not looking at my phone.I'm laser focused on whats going on with my feet. sheesh

• Thanks 1