Do you spend more, less or about the same as you thought you would before coming to Thailand?

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

They don't become one of the most popular food on the planet for nothing. Tell me another food that is as popular as McDonald's on the planet Earth? No British puke inducing food will ever come close to the McDonald's. No I don't like everything in McDonald's but I like their french fries and the fish burger. I don't like most Thai foods only a selected few. And there is nothing to be ashamed for of for that. Most of the YouTube guys extolling Thai foods because they can eat a meal for 50 baht (less than $2). I'm yet to see a YouTube video extolling expensive Thai foods in a decent restaurant. Go to India, you can find foods even cheaper than Thai foods and some of them are more delicious than Thai foods. 

Now you are really posting nonsense. I could understand your aversion to what you perceive as traditional British food, but to suggest McDonalds is even food is just beyond the pale. You lost me there. 
British food can be great is made to a certain standard. Sadly, in most instances, it is not. Like in many American establishments, quantity triumphs over quality. But when quality takes over it can be delicious. The problem is that you have likely sampled sub-standard produce. 
It’s the reason that I cook for myself here. 
If you are introduced to a cuisine of a low standard, you will think that you hate it.

I don’t want to put too fine a point on it, so I will stop there ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I spend more, but it's mostly due to the car and eating out. I felt I had to change car due to the flooded roads and for my own safety in the event of a crash (I initially had an eco car). My pickup should now be good for another 20 years+.  As my cats have aged, so has the spending on them. Changing their food to Royal Canin and occasional visits to the vets means I spend about 3k per month on my cats alone. Fortunately I don't have kids as I see they would the a lot more expensive to maintain than my cats. Regarding food, I have now started buying more food from the local market to reduce costs as I was spending more than 20k per month on food before that.

Food from the local markets is a good idea, not just because of the cost.

Often (always?) the vegetable and fruit are fresher and taste better on the fresh market.

I personally still don't buy meat on those markets. Their type of cooling is not acceptable for me - but it seems others survive it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

They don't become one of the most popular food on the planet for nothing. Tell me another food that is as popular as McDonald's on the planet Earth? No British puke inducing food will ever come close to the McDonald's. No I don't like everything in McDonald's but I like their french fries and the fish burger. I don't like most Thai foods only a selected few. And there is nothing to be ashamed for of for that. Most of the YouTube guys extolling Thai foods because they can eat a meal for 50 baht (less than $2). I'm yet to see a YouTube video extolling expensive Thai foods in a decent restaurant. Go to India, you can find foods even cheaper than Thai foods and some of them are more delicious than Thai foods. 

Not everyone can cook in Thailand. I have yet to taste a Green curry in Thailand as tasty as any that I make for my self. Most are just an insult to the tastebuds. Either totally undercooked or just over spiced to hide the low quality ingredients. 
I usually only eat outside for convenience. But I’m always aware that corners are cut. 

6 minutes ago, NextG said:

Now you are really posting nonsense. I could understand your aversion to what you perceive as traditional British food, but to suggest McDonalds is even food is just beyond the pale. You lost me there. 
British food can be great is made to a certain standard. Sadly, in most instances, it is not. Like in many American establishments, quantity triumphs over quality. But when quality takes over it can be delicious. The problem is that you have likely sampled sub-standard produce. 
It’s the reason that I cook for myself here. 
If you are introduced to a cuisine of a low standard, you will think that you hate it.

I don’t want to put too fine a point on it, so I will stop there ????

A long time ago I was with the school for 10 days in England. I didn't eat anything over there which I liked even a little.

But later, in Thailand, I discovered pub food, i.e. roast, fish and chips, bangers and mash, and things like that. They are often good.

hawksmoor_sunday_roast_lead_image.0.jpg

2 minutes ago, Celsius said:

The power of crypto

Actually, in October of 1992, there was a huge drop in exchange, something like 65 - 37 baht / pound. 

After 2/3 weeks I was out of money and bought a Bangkok Post and rang 10 job vacancies, whilst sweating in a telephone box, remember them?

Luckily the last number wanted to see me and I got a job -  things could have been so different. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Actually, in October of 1992, there was a huge drop in exchange, something like 65 - 37 baht / pound. 

After 2/3 weeks I was out of money and bought a Bangkok Post and rang 10 job vacancies, whilst sweating in a telephone box, remember them?

Luckily the last number wanted to see me and I got a job -  things could have been so different. 

Cool story. I would not have the ba ll z cold calling in foreign country.

16 hours ago, bignok said:

What is British food?

Sausage and mashed potato with gravy

Sausage, bacon and eggs

Liver and onions with mashed potato and gravy

Yorkshire puddings

Cod or Haddock and chips

Roast Beef, Pork and Lamb

Pork pies

Apple pie with Rhubarb and Custard

All good rib sticking stuff

Nowadays also curries

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Sausage, bacon and eggs

Yorkshire puddings

Cod or Haddock and chips

Nowadays also curries

Germans invented sausages didnt they

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Nowadays also curries

Indeed, Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in the UK. 

Not many people know that, like not many people know Phad Tai was invented in 1932 to stop Thais buying Chinese noodles. Protectionism by Paw Piboonsongkhram, or Nationalism, copying his European leader friends. 

2 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I see McDonald's as entertainment, nice but will just make you fat if eaten regularly, when i have the occasional burger i have to eat when i get home

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Germans invented sausages didnt they

No.

I did not know this either, so I did a Google search.

I learned more about sausages today than I ever needed to know.

https://study.com/academy/lesson/history-sausages-overview-types-invented.html#:~:text=Sausages are thought to have,and various herbs and spices.

Sausages are thought to have originated in Mesopotamia over 5,000 years ago, in at least 3,100 BCE, with the earliest evidence being discovered in Sumeria. Since then, many different kinds of sausage have been invented as a way of preserving meat by mixing it with salt and various herbs and spices. 

https://sausagehouse.in/history-of-sausages/

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Sausage, bacon and eggs

Yorkshire puddings

Cod or Haddock and chips

Roast Beef, Pork and Lamb

Pork pies

Apple pie with Rhubarb and Custard

Nowadays also curries

Anyone serving frozen chips or fries commercially when serving fish and chips, should be suspended from owning or running any kind of food establishment until they repent. Of course they are free to open a McDonalds or some such. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I see McDonald's as entertainment, nice but will just make you fat if eaten regularly, when i have the occasional burger i have to eat when i get home

Really? Every time I relent and try one again, I am reminded of my disappointment. Now I just make my own if I want one. 

• Like 1

Just now, NextG said:

Really? Every time I relent and try one again, I am reminded of my disappointment. Now I just make my own if I want one. 

yeah, you're right making at home would be best but every few months i get the urge, either McDonald's or Alan Burger. How do you make yours?

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

yeah, you're right making at home would be best but every few months i get the urge, either McDonald's or Alan Burger. How do you make yours?

Buy beef. Mince in my chopper, mix with whatever takes my fancy; chopped onion, herbs and spices. Can use egg to bind. Have homemade pickles, creamed horseradish, mustard etc. Don’t neglect to toast the buns. Nothing worse than an establishment neglecting to do that. Ruins the whole experience. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Food from the local markets is a good idea, not just because of the cost.

Often (always?) the vegetable and fruit are fresher and taste better on the fresh market.

I personally still don't buy meat on those markets. Their type of cooling is not acceptable for me - but it seems others survive it. 

I know what you mean. I will usually buy meat from Betagro as I dislike meat left in the open with just a CD to keep the flies away. They also have better quality chicken available at a price. For the vegetables, I do worry about the chemicals and pesticides that are used, but hey ho. I've contemplated ordering medical grade vegetables from Distar fresh, but I know I wouldn't get through the weekly bags they send.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I spend 30% less than expected mainly because i stopped playing golf where it cost circ 25k a month

where on earth were you playing, or more to the point how many times per month. I only play once per month, but that includes green fee (Thai rates when on my own or lower when with a group), caddy, cart & caddy tip, petrol & 2 nights accommodation and meals etc. Average cost 2500-3000 baht per month, and that's on the top courses in Chiang Mai. The one thing I've noticed in CM & Lamphun foreigners pay the same as Thais if they can show they are long term residents, viz showing pink ID card or Thai driver's license.  I've never seen this anywhere else that I've played golf in Thailand, mainly BKK, Pattaya & Phuket. The only downside for me, and the ONLY reason I play once per month is the nearest course is 150kms from where I live, some months I have to drive round 200kms each way to play.

8 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

As I said, I don't eat British foods at all. They taste so yucky to me. I  puke by looking at  British foods. I want varieties like Japanese, Korean, Mediterranean, Greek, Burgers, McDonald's fish burger, some Thai and Indian foods. I change everyday of the week to a different variety. 

Change the record

13 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

where on earth were you playing, or more to the point how many times per month. I only play once per month, but that includes green fee (Thai rates when on my own or lower when with a group), caddy, cart & caddy tip, petrol & 2 nights accommodation and meals etc. Average cost 2500-3000 baht per month, and that's on the top courses in Chiang Mai. The one thing I've noticed in CM & Lamphun foreigners pay the same as Thais if they can show they are long term residents, viz showing pink ID card or Thai driver's license.  I've never seen this anywhere else that I've played golf in Thailand, mainly BKK, Pattaya & Phuket. The only downside for me, and the ONLY reason I play once per month is the nearest course is 150kms from where I live, some months I have to drive round 200kms each way to play.

It's about 1200 green fee, caddy fee and tip 800, minivan and bet 600, so about 2600 baht each time, 3 times a week is the norm so I've updated my calc to 31k a month. That's one reason i stopped doing that. 

Instead i play golf on a 9 hole course twice a week 320 baht, so 800 baht a week incl fuel so 3,200 baht a month, a 10th of the cost if i was playing with the golf bars

• Thumbs Up 2

In order to better estimate your expenses before coming to Thailand, you should consider whether or not you plan to visit Thai bars.

a. If you frequent Thai bars, you will spend more.

b. If you intend to just buy books while in Thailand, and read on the beach, then you will spend less.

So far, I have yet to set foot in a Thai bar.

And so, I spend less than I would if I did.

Any time I feel an urge to visit a Thai bar, I just try to distract myself in some way.

One good distraction, with few negative downsides, is posting on TV.

Also, I do not travel.

I don't ride on airplanes.

I do not own an automobile.

Walking is free, and I prefer the company.

So much less stress, and so many fewer baht spent, if one can just learn to walk instead of ride.

These days, tourist places seem so overcrowded that I really don't think I am missing much.

And I can spend the baht saved on things I really value.

So I would say that I spend less.

And, for me, as always....

Less is more.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And then there is the question if I want to survive until I am 90 or have a good life until I am 70 or 75. I don't really have an answer.

When I was at the age you are now, 70+ looked like the end of the world, life not worth living.  Now that I just turned 80 (Those ticks of the clock do add-up) it's an entirely different perspective.  I still have decent health and enjoy friends and activities as much as I ever did.  I am fortunate that I didn't blow  all my money my 1st 10 years in Thailand and have enough to live with reasonable comfort.

Assuming you won't get to where I am now could be one of the biggest mistakes you could make. 

Start making allowances for the possibility. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Almost everybody runs out of money at one time or another.

Seemingly not here on Aseannow judging by some smug, self-satisfied posters who sneer at those who may not be too flush, financially..

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, ArnieP said:

Seemingly not here on Aseannow judging by some smug, self-satisfied posters who sneer at those who may not be too flush, financially..

It's the smug that never tell you when they run out, until they can no longer keep their dire straits secret.

Same with the arbitrageurs who only crow when they are winning big.