Nationwide Milk Shortage

jcowle

15 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

They are on strike........bitter angry white male milk drinkers accuse them of cancel culture-Woke

Putting nappies on them was the straw that broke them moo cows back so I've been told 

Edited by wombat
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pink Mist said:

We went through a period like this about 9 or 10 months ago when there was some industry wide issues and many cows were put down.  I believe it was from Lumpy Skin Disease.

I remember periods of shortage. The first was simply from the 2011 floods. Transport hindered.

For other periods I can't tell the reason. 

Granddaughter brought a 2l Meji full fat yesterday.

Will use it thrifty ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Cottage cheese is missing. Terrible hardship.

I agree.  Can't find cottage cheese anywhere.  I should buy some raw milk locally and make my own 'curdle and whey.'

• Thumbs Up 1

last year they claim it was 'dry cow' syndrome

now it looks like government price control makes it not profitable to sell the plain milk at the regular price, 

not how the expensive options like lactose free and barista formula are available normally

Makro KK this morning no Meiji at all and very few of the other better known brands, just some new brand and lots of it; all the labelling in Thai so cannot even establish the name, I bought some and sadly its not particularly pleasant. :sick:

Hope the Meiji comes back soon. 

6 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Expect when the milk is available again, that it will be a different price, and I highly doubt that means lower price

Unlikely. One of the products unchanged at 91/91.5 for 2 liter Meji since I am here (2011).

Was it just rumor that there is some control/limits on the price of milk?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Unlikely. One of the products unchanged at 91/91.5 for 2 liter Meji since I am here (2011).

Was it just rumor that there is some control/limits on the price of milk?

So because it has been the same price (according to you) since 2011, that means there never can be a price increase in the future?

Unlikely

Soy milk and the Danish plain milk in 250cc bricks has increased by at least 20% in the last 3 years only, so I'm sure it will have been much less 12 years ago

Edited by BenStark

20 hours ago, jcowle said:

Six local 7/11s around my home have been out of stock of full-fat milk for the past three days.
Is it Pattaya-wide?

Thanks
John

I've been buying milk in Hua Hin for the last month as my wife is away. No problem for full fat but I have not been able to get the light blue low fat milk. 

20 hours ago, Pink Mist said:

We went through a period like this about 9 or 10 months ago when there was some industry wide issues and many cows were put down.  I believe it was from Lumpy Skin Disease.

Wrong, I live in a big dairy cow area the reason is the profit margin for dairy farmers is very low, over the past year concentrate prices have gone up, along with other feed  suffs so dairy farmers are giving up.

Most dairy farmers buy in all the feed stuffs, very little if any is produced on the farm, the farm gate raw milk price has gone up it is now, depending on milk quality it is 20 baht/kg.

Thai dairy farmers are from the most efficient of dairy farmers, average milk yield is 12kg/day/cow, in our countries it is about 25kg/day, so any changes in the input costs hits them hard ,and most are also in debt to the bank ,or the milk center /co-op, who borrow money from the bank ,then loan it out to the farmers  at a couple of points above base rate of cause.

I think it could get worse, as more farmers give up, Thailand never was self-sufficient in milk. importing raw milk ni on impossible, milk powered is imported mainly from Australia, have heard China a swell but not certain, that goes into your flavored milk. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BenStark said:

So because it has been the same price (according to you) since 2011, that means there never can be a price increase in the future?

The price IS regulated:

https://www.globaltradealert.org/intervention/112034/price-stabilisation/thailand-government-increased-the-price-of-raw-milk

Update

On 23 August 2022, the Cabinet of Thailand approved an increase in the median price for buying raw milk at the front of the factory from THB 19 (USD 0.52) per kilogram to THB 20.50 (USD 0.57) per kilogram (see related act).

I may be wrong that the price has increased to 95 Baht last year for 2 liter Meji.

And name me another product that hasn't risen in over 10 years.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've been buying milk in Hua Hin for the last month as my wife is away. No problem for full fat but I have not been able to get the light blue low fat milk. 

Please tell me where?  We have been from the south of Pranburi to the north of Hua Hin (Makro) and the full fat Meji has been absent from the shelfs, small coontainers of the low fat available.  Chok Chai Farms is also missing as well as Dutch Mill, we just popped into both Villa's this morning as we were up that way and the shelves are still empty.  I asked the stock people and they stated that they have no idea why there deliveries have been absent,

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The price IS regulated:

https://www.globaltradealert.org/intervention/112034/price-stabilisation/thailand-government-increased-the-price-of-raw-milk

I may be wrong that the price has increased to 95 Baht last year for 2 liter Meji.

Regulate price doesn't mean it can't increase. If the government ups the regulated price it will increase in the shops.

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That is not the point, everything has increased in price since 2020, but you said it hadn't increased in 12 years, which was obviously not correct

20 hours ago, dddave said:

I thought most of the whole milk sold in Thailand was re-constituted to be spoil resistant and not fresh from cows.   

As far as I can tell, most of the milk brands you find here are locally produced from dairy cattle.

In 2021, the production volume of milk and milk products in Thailand was estimated to reach approximately 1.4 million tons of milk equivalent. It was also forecast that the production volume of such products would amount to around 1.42 million tons of milk equivalent in 2022.

Production volume of milk and milk products in Thailand

28 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

Please tell me where?  We have been from the south of Pranburi to the north of Hua Hin (Makro) and the full fat Meji has been absent from the shelfs, small coontainers of the low fat available.  Chok Chai Farms is also missing as well as Dutch Mill, we just popped into both Villa's this morning as we were up that way and the shelves are still empty.  I asked the stock people and they stated that they have no idea why there deliveries have been absent,

My local 7/11, corner of Soi 91.

20230720_122016.jpg

• Thanks 1