After Pita, Pheu Thai gets to run the show

snoop1130

So we're back to the same wick as 2006 and 2014; I wonder if it will be the same show again, when the army will dethrone Pheu Thai, under the guided puppet master leadership of the Brother in exile, with a little coup d'état? Stay tuned, the boys in uniforms will be watching until the watching is over ???? 

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

25 is the minimum to nominate a PM candidate. Prawit's party didn't nominate a candidate. Neither did Prayuth's.

However, BJT did. Yes, they could form a 184 seat coalition with the old junta supporters, but it would be a minority government which Anutin says he is not interested in. So he's presumably going for broke, eyeing a coalition that excludes MFP but includes PT. The Senate would presumably ok that arrangement, and they'd be home and dry with MFP left out in the cold. The party that won the most votes, the most seats, that had the guts, the balls to take on the military/monarchists and beat them , only to fall foul of Prayuth's catch all safety net. The senate has to go before any real change. And PT won't even try I don't think. Bend over boys.

Thanks for the correction on the number.  

in January both the Bangkok English newspaper and Reuters both reported that Prawit was selected as a candidate for prime minister for his party

Www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailands-ruling-party-picks-veteran-kingmaker-prawit-pm-candidate-2023-01-27

It was also reported on April 5.

www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/who-are-main-candidates-thailands-next-leader-2023-04-05/

Edited by statman78

6 minutes ago, statman78 said:

Thanks for the correction on the number.  

in January both the Bangkok English newspaper and Reuters both reported that Prawit was selected as a candidate for prime minister for his party

reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailands-ruling-party-picks-veteran-kingmaker-prawit-pm-candidate-2023-01-27/

I got mine from here

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/politics/40029285

Dated July 12th. But who knows the situation in reality?

This was the operating plan all along.  FF provided an unwelcome surprise that has now been relegated to the dust bin.  PT will put an acceptable face in the government while maintaining the status quo.  Let’s see who gets the “power positions” in cabinet, speaker of the house etc.

4 hours ago, drmal said:

No doubt, a big, bloody protest looms.

The people's mandate has been robbed in broad daylight.

What's the use of going to vote if the person selected by the majority can't be elected?

All the so called 715 parliamentary committee members on the junta payroll should be kicked out - Prayuth's safeguard against democracy. This so called committee must be abolished.

Don't let Thailand become another Myanmar.

Excellent post from a newbie.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, neeray said:

Excellent post from a newbie.

Drmal has been a member since 2022. Hardly a Newbie

AN needs to re-qualify the member's profiles.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

As the process has carried on, I think this was just a game or an experiment to him. I think he knew the result, even if he hadn't been in possession of the shares, it would have been something else. He knew it all along. The past two weeks, traveling the country to whip up a protest if denied the opportunity. Now it's all over, what will people do? I would love to be proved wrong, but they will just roll over and accept the decision of the people calling the shots.

I respectfully disagree with this theory.

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

PT has kept to the agreement. Srettha should now run as a PM candidate from the existing coalition of eight parties. As long as the future government reflects the election results of the population, ok. The senators cannot afford to saw off Srettha like Pita before. Would be nice to see where the Senate stands in the third approach. For the sake of the  Thai people or not.

Itwon't be for the Thai people who wasted theirvote and watch the winning party get disbanded and the ones who stated that they stand by the winners but the issue of reforms and note reforms not abolishing the ridiculous Act in operation and are they going to agree with the winners with this one issue?
The outcome is known and this has been planned with the unelected 249 Senators from the last Government.
Very sad times yet again for the millions of very decent Thai Citizens.
However, in the so-called democracies of USA and UK look how they behave and even worse and many others and the French general population rise up and several times.

Edited by jwest10
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

Ha ha , i noticed the relevance and was going to put pun intended on the end but got distracted and hit the submit reply. I wondered if anyone would pick up on it. I should of known it wouldn't take long.

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

Ha ha , i noticed the relevance and was going to put pun intended on the end but got distracted and hit the submit reply. I wondered if anyone would pick up on it. I should of known it wouldn't take long.

I'm sure it didn't take much TIME for many of us to notice. On that note, I sure wish the CASE of the watches would be opened again. It's about TIME.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Neeray has been a member since 2015.

AN needs to re-qualify the member's profiles.

Thank you. I guess 8 years is somewhat beyond "newbie" status.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Well, he's a wealthy man ... But then so was Thanathorn and (rather less) Pita.

Not too many unwealthy people in Thai politics!

True, and the soldiers were only playing at being politicians.

20 minutes ago, neeray said:

I'm sure it didn't take much TIME for many of us to notice. On that note, I sure wish the CASE of the watches would be opened again. It's about TIME.

Report from last April and I quote

'The court ruled that the NACC office and its commissioners have to disclose the requested information to Veera within 15 days of the verdict or they would be deemed to have violated the law'.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/politics/40026863

Edited by anchadian
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, candide said:

One group has always been pro-elections.

Of course they have. So that the corrupt Shinawatra trash starts trashing Thailand financial accounts for their own filthy gain. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Your  post count indicates you have been here awhile but your thoughts imply that  you are completely new to the experience of Thai politics and culture?

Why do you believe 250 pro junta senators  will vote for a candidate from the opposition?

knowing that their man Prawit will be knocking on the door with 250 votes already in the bag when no one else is able to get the required votes.

The question is, will the remaining MP's vote for Prawit in order to get the country running again, rather than let it stagnate.

Prawit may not be in the equation yet but I'm sure he's just waiting and biding his time.

Yes, I'm relatively new here, I've only been living in Thailand with my Thai family for 30 years. Thanks for asking.

Maybe Prawit wakes up from his sleep and becomes PM. Who can predict that, but he will not be able to rule against a 2/3 majority in parliament. That's just my newbie opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Yes, I'm relatively new here, I've only been living in Thailand with my Thai family for 30 years. Thanks for asking.

Maybe Prawit wakes up from his sleep and becomes PM. Who can predict that, but he will not be able to rule against a 2/3 majority in parliament. That's just my newbie opinion.

I'm not sure Prawit is even a candidate. Anyone?

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The spotlight has now turned on the Pheu Thai Party, which is likely to take over from the Move Forward party in forming the next government

So, if a party's candidate isn't made PM, they're considered to not be in government? Even if they have a majority?

And if the PTP candidate is made PM, that means PTP is in government and MFP isn't?

Such an odd way of doing things.

42 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

I think any solution acceptable to the Jurassic Parkers (Senate) can NOT include MFP.

That is to say, no one from MFP can be allowed to be in the resulting cabinet. Full stop.

Or in a coalition to nominate the PM. So PT will have to dump MFP and collude with the enemy, BJT et al. Unless they grew some balls and stuck by their MoU with MFP. Anutin has said he's not interested in a minority government, ie with a minority coalition of maybe 184 seats, without PT. So there would be a standoff, with the MFP and PT coalition refusing to budge.

8 hours ago, neeray said:

I believe we are in "the calm before the storm" period. Pita screwed up his chances through either stupidity and/or naivety but in the process, the people's hopes were raised. They will not take this failure lying down. A storm is in the making.

Historically a very dangerous time … when the populations rising expectations are not met.

46 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I meant, was his name put forward?

That was not a requirement. A party could put up to 5 names for PM pre-election, but that was not a requirement. You could put none up but still nominate someone. As I understand it.

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

True, I suspect that the regulations in place will mean the senators must be appointed, but by who?

Would be nice to get clarity on this point. 

Well, according to section 107 of the 2017 constitution "selection of senators shall be made in the form of a Royal Decree" (https://cdc.parliament.go.th/draftconstitution2/download/article/article_20180829093502.pdf)

Which could possibly open up a Pandora's box under easily imaginable circumstances.

While scrolling through that document I also noticed Section 113 : "A Senator shall not align with or yield to the mandate of any political party". No comment on that bit !

9 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

That was not a requirement. A party could put up to 5 names for PM pre-election, but that was not a requirement. You could put none up but still nominate someone. As I understand it.

You may be right. As usual, it's all shrouded in mystery. I use the following source

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/politics/40029285

It's interesting they say quite clearly there are no limits on the number of times a candidate can be put forward, completely contradicting the farcical vote taken yesterday.

9 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

It is actually a maximum of 3 names that have to be submitted to the EC by the parties, a party can nominate anybody from the published list as long as the party that person belongs to got at least 25 seats.. Pita was actually nominated in Parliament by a Pheu Thai speaker from what I read.

22 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Well, according to section 107 of the 2017 constitution "selection of senators shall be made in the form of a Royal Decree" (https://cdc.parliament.go.th/draftconstitution2/download/article/article_20180829093502.pdf)

Which could possibly open up a Pandora's box under easily imaginable circumstances.

While scrolling through that document I also noticed Section 113 : "A Senator shall not align with or yield to the mandate of any political party". No comment on that bit !

I think Prayuth installed a 10 man committee to select the Senators.

"The proposed constitution also allows the NCPO to appoint an eight to ten person panel who will choose Senators,[4] to include six seats reserved for the heads of the Royal Thai Army, Navy, Air Force, and Police, plus the military's supreme commander, and defense permanent secretary."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Thailand

Scroll down to 2017.

A military dictatorship posing as a democracy. Of course, with the demise of the NCPO, who knows what will happen in May next year?

Edited by bradiston
  • Thumbs Up 1