How Fast Can You Touch Type? Does It Matter Now?

Dear Fellow TV Typists,

Recently, as recently as this morning, there has been some discussion concerning computer keyboards and the effect, if any, that different types of keyboards might have on typing speed. BUT, this is not the subject of our discussion on this OP.  We are ONLY concerned, here, with the questions:  How Fast Can You Type, and, Does it Matter Now?

So then....

AA. Does touch typing matter these days, given that we now have access to great voice-recognition software such as DRAGON? 

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_NaturallySpeaking)

V-8YKquVPpD57Ddhf4EUV9M5ASggiE0mPt7UryV31NjMcQbtaPPgh82Ib9H3Kv60Ha7nUgdhIV9fs8gpAqL2mrNkgL06Wcc6Mf1Cot6zsNndf98t93tXjUFJ0K54nUtGcZms1fnjqSpW40VdwVj7waI

BB.  What is your touch-typing speed, anyway?

As for me, I am a very slow touch-typist, maybe about 55 to 65 WPM, on a good day.  I first learned touch typing when I was not yet sweet sixteen.  At that time, even before I could type, I had my eye on an electric Olympia, EXACTLY the same as this:

zrDOwOhvPcFyoXrT_8xwu--nfCsO9ji-EK1HsTyDLUxHuBNypMOdmWKmHaYryFFRwc8L-x0_QVL0k1z-HD0pbP6Qr5HiBVvu6tOO2oNLDYAJLFLqmbab4a5yodzDbHsEpqHkKavkLkhzbs8yEGdUbGg

This is an office model, 'ELECTRIC SGE 40/33', and not particularly light weight, probably about 60 pounds or more, basically half my weight at that age. This thing probably also cost 50 pounds, sterling, in 1965.

Also, this is an Olympia, which is a German manufacturer.

Back in the day, having your own German OFFICE typewriter in your bedroom was rather cool. NOBODY had one. Nobody.

At the time, and at such a tender age, I could manage almost 40 WPM, after a bit of practice.

CC.  But is it important to know how to touch type these days?

Maybe NOT!

As you can see here, these CalTech students look just too bored to do much touch typing.

VI6SdD-rM6MZ7M7a0Z2ETLt0vxyvshuz-OATAF08vFhW-SwYEJKWysFpmrt0hPb_yqlvdZdSn4BGSScku58RKdtp3gus7JHofvHd43T_bkltJxUDnM54detG8B6FxUPfOR14OslD4XSrYD6usBIKhjs

DD. Well then what about the Chinese (or dedicated Asian) students?

This college student is just so cute the way she explains her strategy for touch typing SUPER FAST:

Very Frankly speaking, this video TRULY did bring a tear to my eye. Why? I think it was her optimism and her belief in the GOODNESS of our world, which is TOTALLY a false belief.

I also believe that it is only through young talented people such as she that we might find hope for the future in this world of our own making.

EE.  But WHO is the guy who LOOKS LIKE the fastest typist in the world?

This is the guy!

Anybody with a beard, typing so fast...just looks strange.

Still, he’s cool, too!

FF. What is the best strategy, for old geezers, to either learn touch typing, or improve their touch typing skills?

Unfortunately, the best DOS-based typing tutor program that ever existed has now disappeared from this world. I know because I have looked for it.

So now, you might need to use a web-based typing tutor.

All the newer iterations are JUNK compared to the simple and effective DOS typing-tutor program originally purchasable for about USD10.00, in 1990.

Also, most guys on this forum probably don’t even know what DOS is, and so no LOSS!

Anyway, if any of you SEPTUAGENARIANS plan on soon entering the IT sector, then you best brush up on your touch typing skills, is my advice.

Just from my experience interacting with the geriatric guys on this forum, it is highly likely that MOST of these guys can’t tell an OPEN BRACE from a CLOSED BRACKET. And, neither do they know a CARET from a CARROT from a CARAT, unless they found one between their legs, all shriveled up,  for some reason.

So then, my hat’s off to you guys who are my age!

FF.  Do YOU Know a great FREE Typing-Tutor Software that can be downloaded to a PC?

If so, then please list your suggestions.

Thank you.

Regards,

Gambling Goblin

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Learned touch typing in middle school around age 14 or so.

It served me well throughout my college years as well as during my working career and I'm glad I took a typing class in place of one of the other vocational classes such as wood or metal shop. I've typed a lot, but so far haven't turned a lathe or welded anything.

And I did cut my teeth on computers running DOS.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Learned touch typing in middle school around age 14 or so.

It served me well throughout my college years as well as during my working career and I'm glad I took a typing class in place of one of the other vocational classes such as wood or metal shop. I've typed a lot, but so far haven't turned a lathe or welded anything.

And I did cut my teeth on computers running DOS.

Obviously, it's almost impossible to do any detailed editing work, or original writing, just by utilizing speech-recognition software.

As you say, for any serious academic work, fast touch-typing is surely a must.

• Love It 1

17 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Nothing wrong with old school. 

Absolutely not...of course.

It's just a matter of interest, need, and ability.

I know of a guy who runs a major corporation who cannot touch type.

Instead, he uses DRAGON, and gets more done in a day than most guys accomplish in a week.

Still, if one plans to do much writing, either for academic purposes, or for pleasure, then TOUCH TYPING is the way to go.

And... Touch Typing is simple to learn.

All you need is TIME ON TASK.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

I actually taught myself how to type, as a requirement for employment I was seeking.  Minimum speed required to pass said test, was 30 or 35 words a minutes, and forget how many characters they considered a word.

Very happy I did teach myself as it has come in quite handy.  If you don't know, that's not fast at all.  Although I see people, some cust. serv. people doing the 2 finger typing, if you want to call it that, and have to roll my eyes.   

Then a buddy of mine, would be sitting next to me, banging out a novel, and all it got is 'Flight of Bumblebee' by comrade Rimsky going through my mind watching him.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

good rebuttal!

Instead of asking stupid questions about desperation....

You should more profitably spend your time seeking your Susan.

Might turn out to be more enjoyable for you.

• Love It 1

11 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

you're not getting tired of the frog jokes yet?

Two weeks ago, my housekeeper found a dead frog in our kitchen.

Strangely enough, neither she nor I shed a tear.

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, ArnieP said:

Can’t touch type and it doesn’t matter.

Should think quite a few on Aseannow know DOS because they’re of such vintage age-wise that their first introduction to PC’s was on DOS.

You would be wrong in your uninformed assumption. 

Most guys here probably predate DOS. 

Please think VACUUM tubes. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Jr. High science teacher taught us to type in 1970, 71

Didn't really use it untill I bought my first laptop in 1996, sat down closed my eyes and typed the alphabet successfully , still in there after 25 years.

I can touch type up to about 50 wpm and thank Mr French for that ability every day.

I worked in a computer heavy job from 1995 until 2020, can't see how people do it without touch typing

I taught my son how to type with the help from an online system, he says it's invaluable.

I don't understand why they don't make typing instruction universal in school

• Thumbs Up 1

From the age of 16 I was a telegraphist with the Postal Service in Australia. Typing all day on an electric keyboard my best effort was an error corrected 112 wpm.

When I moved to the clerical side at 28 they had started to use WP software and desk top computers. My keyboard skills were very handy. I Left work 26 years ago but still fast and accurate on a keyboard. Somethings you don't forget I guess. 

Edited by biggles45
  • Like 1

back in the 60's before electric typewriters, I trained as a court reporter. My speed back then was 120wpm after typos were taken into account. Nowadays I'm just using 2 fingers on each hand slowly and I make more typos now than I did back then.