Baht Surge - Why?

Shoeless Joe

12 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

inflation said to be falling in uk

3NUMBAS, thank you.
Please excuse my appalling ignorance but can you further explain how the inflation rate falling in the UK accounts for the strengthening of the baht in Thailand?
Thanks,
Joe

Edited by Shoeless Joe
typo
  • Like 1

As @StayinThailand2much states, a part of the answer is just a weaker USD. But I also suspect that there were a number of significant investments and purchases that were tied to the election not going pear shaped. It is clear on the chart that the THB (at least against the USD) started to strengthen in the days leading up to the election, then made a large move up shortly after the election.

• Thumbs Up 1

I gave up trying to understand years ago. I think Asia economy far, far outways Europe, you only have to look at the advertising at premiership grounds, when watching on TV, probably other sports as well

• Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

3NUMBAS, thank you.
Please excuse my appalling ignorance but can you further explain how the inflation rate falling in the UK accounts for the strengthening of the baht in Thailand?
Thanks,
Joe

It is tied to interest rates... lower inflation, lower interest rates, less desirable is the currency, for an outsider... 

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it a Baht surge or because the Europe and Western world are spendin money like it's growing on trees?

I think the Baht 'strengthen' this week because the vote was coming up on Wednesday/Thursday, but since it went badly the Baht has been losing some of its luster. Look out next week. I think the Baht will gain again with PT taking power and Srettha heads up the new Gov. (IMHO)

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Polar Bear, thank you for your reply.
I'm not sure that your assertion regarding MF is valid and given recent events it looks (to me) that MF is unlikely to be anything but a coalition partner should a new non-military government be formed. That surely exacerbates the situation and doesn't decrease the instaility. I'm happy to admit that my knowledge of economics on this scale is sketchy to say the least. So I'm happy to look at this as a learning process.
Again, thanks,
Joe

Dont worry Joe, someday we will get you in a nice new pair of shoes  hold the line friend ????

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

All I know is years ago the wife talked me into keeping liquid "swap funds" in both Thailand and the US. When the baht goes up we send USD to Thailand and when the baht goes down we send THB to the states.

We've made around 700,000 - 800,000 baht so far (sorry, we're not rich so the trades are around $5,000-$10,000 but it's still free money) :wai:

Our US bank doesn't charge a bank to bank fee and BKK bank only charges a couple hundred baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/20/2023 at 5:46 PM, mrwebb8825 said:

All I know is years ago the wife talked me into keeping liquid "swap funds" in both Thailand and the US. When the baht goes up we send USD to Thailand and when the baht goes down we send THB to the states.

We've made around 700,000 - 800,000 baht so far (sorry, we're not rich so the trades are around $5,000-$10,000 but it's still free money) :wai:

Our US bank doesn't charge a bank to bank fee and BKK bank only charges a couple hundred baht.

Why don't you just set up a forex trading account instead? You'll save a lot in the hidden currency conversion fees that banks have (plus the 200 baht from BKK bank).