5 things you hate most about Thailand

bignok

Just now, Geordieabroad said:

Your #3 is complaining farang, you actually said that while complaining, that's funny

I was answering a question that was asking for things I don't like - which will surely read as a list of complaints.. - I thought Geordies were supposed to be a bit nicer and more clever than that? Next time I should just complain that the ice cream is great? 

4 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

Your #3 is complaining farang, you actually said that while complaining, that's funny

If he had said that, it might have been funny, but that's not what he said :

He said :  "3. complaining farang [who don't seem to understand that this is a different culture and what that actually means]  "

He has nothing against Farang complaining,  You can complain about the weather and things like that and so can he and everyone else . He has a problem with "farangs who don't seem to understand this us a different culture and what it means.

I am sure you will agree these are two different things. 

• Haha 1

1. The locals have zero respect for other citizens (cut throat driving, scamming, business practices, etc etc).

2. The pollution and ruining the environment.

3. The low quality food n drink.

4. The casual racism.

5.  I actually can't think of any others right now. It must be a good day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

1)  Having to suffer "sawat dee khrap" 100's of times and being followed around continuously   in              Homepro.  Thai Watsadu, and Global House etc

try this and flip the script....walk in home pro...let them follow u...zig zag and make quick u turns..

find pvc pipes and ask about making a sex doll.....pretend to steal stg and then realize they are standing right next to you and smile and place it back....slowly.....walk slow then fast.....walk in small circles in the middle of the store.......just a few to get you started....youre welcome

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

try this and flip the script....walk in home pro...let them follow u...zig zag and make quick u turns..

find pvc pipes and ask about making a sex doll.....pretend to steal stg and then realize they are standing right next to you and smile and place it back....slowly.....walk slow then fast.....walk in small circles in the middle of the store.......just a few to get you started....youre welcome

Tried all that nonsense years ago but the missis couldn't keep up, a lot easier just to leave her in the car.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I'm glad it's not just me they follow in stores, I thought they were just profiling me

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Get a life ????

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm glad it's not just me they follow in stores, I thought they were just profiling me

No it's not just you, but what makes you think they are not profiling you?

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good one, i forgot the classic, "if you don't like it, go home" people, ban them too

I thought of including that phrase too, but on reflection, I  decided that there are rare circumstances where it is justified, and in some cases it is the only truly appropriate response

On 7/21/2023 at 1:30 PM, NextG said:

Strange choices ☺️
Food is surely a matter of choice, though of course it matters where you live. 
Condo rooms I don’t get at all. Close to where I am, you can acquire a 40+ sq.m. condo with a sea view for 4,000 baht monthly. 

Furniture is up to you. 
Agree about 90 day reporting being annoying. 
Americans…

Close to where I am, you can acquire a 40+ sq.m. condo with a sea view for 4,000 baht monthly. 

Really? 

Where is this? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

1)  Having to suffer "sawat dee khrap" 100's of times and being followed around continuously   in              Homepro.  Thai Watsadu, and Global House etc ( although easily sorted by leaving the Missis in the car)

2) Those who seek to turn Thailand into a copy of their miserable home country

3) Those who  constantly repeat phrases like "Quality tourists" or "I thought there was no prostitution in Pattaya"

4) Know it all  political commentators claiming to know what's best for Thailand

5) The foreigners who "identify" as self appointed wannabe immigration police and their hysterical reactions to overstayers

I have only ever encountered the people in the last four categories on this website

What's wrong with Sawadee?

• Thumbs Up 1

This is has been my experience and just two things:

1) Admit a mistake was made

2) Then apologize

2 recent examples (they are small but it happens more often then it should)

Went to a cinema and bought the ticket at the automated machine but the ticket did not come out.  Had to ask the girl to stop looking at her phone and help me.  The first thing she said was "you did it wrong".  I replied no and to open the machine.  She got the key and opened the machine and the ticket was stuck inside.  She handed me the ticket and walked away.  Ok, thank you for your hard work??

Second example was a problem at a high-end hotel.  I was told to leave the breakfast buffet because "you don't pay".  I had paid for my stay with the breakfast charge.  I went to the reception desk and asked the girl to confirm that I had paid for breakfast.  She asked me "are you Mr. Alex?".  My name is not Alex and I told her to fix this error.  I handed her my room key and she tapped on the keyboard.  She then handed me the key back and said "ok".  She didn't say anything else and I was able to have breakfast. OK, I know problem solved. 

Unfortunately I have had many similar experiences in LOS.  

I know many will say this is petty but from my perspective an admission of a mistake and a simple apology goes a long way.  I can't recall when was the last an employee of a business actually admitted they made a mistake and then apologized.  To me apologizing for making a mistake is not losing face.  Of course this is not how the locals think. I know I am blowing into the wind and this will always be a losing battle.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

No it's not just you, but what makes you think they are not profiling you?

I usually wear a singlet, hot country and all that, look pretty good I think, not a fat slob, but i recon they profile me, younger looking singlet wearing farang, got to be guilty. I remember once when i wore a polo shirt in Big C Extra, no following around. I'm also a quick walker, maybe that looks suspicious.

Thaiwatsadu and Homepro no issue there, staff too lazy, i have to go find them

Edited by scubascuba3

29 minutes ago, transam said:

It reads like some of you lot made a mistake moving to LOS..............:whistling:.............????

More they appear to take on board the anonymous opinions and actions of other foreign residents almost as if the persona reflects on them, which I guess it can if they allow it to influence