Good News regarding renewal of British Passport

8 hours ago, vibration said:

The British Passport Office are quoting 11 weeks to renew a British Passport for somebody living in Thailand like myself.

I have some good news regarding the renewal of my British Passport as it only took 4 weeks with the chain of events listed below:

• I booked an appointment at VFS Bangkok on 23.06 2023 and my application was sent to the UK the same day
  • My Thai Credit Card was charged on 27.06.2023
  • My new Passport arrived back at VFS Bangkok on 21.07.2023 and will be collected shortly

I experienced very good service at VFS Bangkok and am very grateful for a speedy process.

I hope all other relevant Members have similar very good service.

Presumably you didn't get the letter to give to Immigration? apparently not issued anymore

13 hours ago, vibration said:

The British Passport Office are quoting 11 weeks to renew a British Passport for somebody living in Thailand like myself.

I have some good news regarding the renewal of my British Passport as it only took 4 weeks with the chain of events listed below:

• I booked an appointment at VFS Bangkok on 23.06 2023 and my application was sent to the UK the same day
  • My Thai Credit Card was charged on 27.06.2023
  • My new Passport arrived back at VFS Bangkok on 21.07.2023 and will be collected shortly

I experienced very good service at VFS Bangkok and am very grateful for a speedy process.

I hope all other relevant Members have similar very good service.

Very similar, but 5 weeks in my case.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

A shame we have to make 2 expensive trips to Bangkok to do it.

Rather a pathetic service in my view.

Used to be able to do it all by mail.

It's only every 10 years, cant be that much of a bind can it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It was over a decade ago. They spent lots of money upgrading all the embassies in the region to ensure photos suitable for facial recognition, then introduced a system where, for a few years, you applied by courier to Hong Kong. Finally, to make the process more convoluted, they started using a third party where you apply in person in Bangkok, but still need to pay a courier fee as I suppose sending all the applications to the UK in a single bundle would be too complicated compared with sending them all individually (assuming they do). Of course, just allowing you to send the application directly to HMPO in the UK (cutting out the middleman and trips to Bangkok) is not an option.

Agreed, the individual courier fee is so unnecessary, the only advantage with going to VFS first is that at least they check your application before sending it off, less of a chance of getting it wrong.

It would be preferable just going to the Embassy of course.

• Like 1

As I write this, sitting in a noodle shop next to VFS Chiang Mai office as I wait for my appointment I am most encouraged.

Only down side was the 3 ¹/² hour trundle over from Chiang Rai on the "Green Bus" vomit comet!

Dogs were not impressed with the O5.00 reveille back home either!

As the VFS building is near the university the passing scenery at lunchtime is very pleasant! ????

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

It was best when you could go to the embassy in Bangkok done and dusted in 4 days

Ah, the good old days – takes me back.

I remember once taking the pink slip for collecting the new one and shouting to the girl behind the grille (whom I happened to know a little) “I demand you give me a passport”. Should have seen the looks on the faces of all the asylum seekers in the room!

Of course, that was when UK had an embassy here……..

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is rumoured that they still do, though unclear what its purpose is these days.

whatever its purpose, they can't flog it off this time to help pay the rent back home........... who wants an office in a US insurance company block?

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

Ah, the good old days – takes me back.

I remember once taking the pink slip for collecting the new one and shouting to the girl behind the grille (whom I happened to know a little) “I demand you give me a passport”. Should have seen the looks on the faces of all the asylum seekers in the room!

Of course, that was when UK had an embassy here……..

That was a nice bit of real estate, 

16 hours ago, vibration said:

The British Passport Office are quoting 11 weeks to renew a British Passport for somebody living in Thailand like myself...

I suspect that the British Passport Office did not quote you 11 weeks, but up to 11 weeks

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It was best when you could go to the embassy in Bangkok done and dusted in 4 days

Those were the days when the embassy in Bangkok had passport blanks in stock and printed the necessary personal details on their premises. Safety concerns and the  addition of electronic features put an end to that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sungod said:

It's only every 10 years, cant be that much of a bind can it?

It is actually nearer to 9 years.

Not so easy when you are over 70 .  80 next time if I aint kicked the bucket.

Looks like I am going to have to fork out 13,000 Baht including the agent fee.

Just now, Lite Beer said:

It is actually nearer to 9 years.

Not so easy when you are over 70 .  80 next time if I aint kicked the bucket.

Looks like I am going to have to fork out 13,000 Baht including the agent fee.

Not got anyone who can do it for you? Doesn't have to be an agent.

I've helped out a couple of elderly gents over the years and submitted on their behalf.