Rejection of Pita’s renomination as PM ‘unconstitutional’ : Ombudsman

snoop1130

Whether his renomination was unconstitutional or not is irrelevant as pita was ordered to step down due to an order from the constitutional court. Well that is my understanding but I am sure the experts on here will correct me if this is wrong.

• Confused 6
  • Haha 1

Ombudsman Seeks Thai Charter Court’s Ruling on Parliament’s Decision to Block Pita’s PM Renomination
By Goongnang Suksawat

image.jpeg

National — The Office of the Ombudsman on Monday, July 24th, decided to ask the Constitutional Court whether Parliament’s decision to block Pita Limjaroenrat, leader and PM candidate for the Move Forward Party, from being re-nominated for the PM role is constitutional or not.

At a press conference today, the Ombudsman revealed to the press that it will submit a request to the charter court to determine the constitutionality of the Parliament’s decision on July 19th that barred Pita from being re-nominated for the leadership position.

Those who voted to block Pita cited that his renomination violated the parliamentary regulations which stipulate that once a proposal is rejected by the Parliament, it cannot be re-proposed.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/07/24/ombudsman-seeks-thai-charter-courts-ruling-on-parliaments-decision-to-block-pitas-pm-renomination/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-07-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stanaris said:

Whether his renomination was unconstitutional or not is irrelevant as pita was ordered to step down due to an order from the constitutional court. Well that is my understanding but I am sure the experts on here will correct me if this is wrong.

If I read this correctly. Pita was suspended from office until the CC concludes it's case. So, essentially, the ombudsman is pausing the voting until the CC finishes its case against Pita. 

"The ombudsman also agreed to ask the court to order parliament to suspend the prime ministerial selection process until it rules on Pita’s renomination, to prevent irreparable damage which may result if the selection process is allowed to proceed."

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Stanaris said:

The order came from the CC, the ombudsman is now saying that was possibly unconstitutional, which needs to be clarified before anything can progress.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stanaris said:

It's a separate issue.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

Bottom line is that the army powers will prevent Pita from becoming PM. 

There's is nothing you can do about this Ombudsman.

received_1238566480132085.jpeg

The classic “shove it up your wazzo” smile.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Billybaroo said:

So, essentially, the ombudsman is pausing the voting until the CC finishes its case against Pita. 

Don't worry it won't be for long, everyone connected to the ombudsman will be looking for new jobs next week and peace and order will be restored

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

Maybe the court should take a look at how the junta rewrote the constitution and placed 250 UNELECTED flunkies into the senate to rig the rules so nobody can ever seriously challenge their control after staging an illegal coup?

Maybe take a look at who wrote the 2017 constitution. But he has had the decency to step forward and urge Pita to contest the banning from the Prime Minister nomination as unconstitutional. And I guess he should know.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borwornsak_Uwanno

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

Don't worry it won't be for long, everyone connected to the ombudsman will be looking for new jobs next week and peace and order will be restored

Including the chair of the committee that wrote the constitution?

Think of the "Ombudsman" as a One-Man Committee.

In Thailand the first response to an issue is to form a committee.

No power or influence, ceremonial at best, always ignored. Just another in the sea of voices expressing "concern" about certain issues.

A gnat on the backside of the buffalo which is the current Thai administrative state. Annoying? Maybe. But easily swatted away with a swipe of the tail.

• Like 1

Let me try to get this straight since it's a twisted noodle.

The Constitutional Court barred Pita from being re-nominated.

Now the Ombudsman thinks this Constitutional Court order maybe unconstitutional and asks the (guess who) Constitutional Court to take another look under the hood...

Conclusion: Obfuscation can be a tricky thing, if you don't know what your doing you will look like inept numpties...

• Like 1