Thailand’s household-debt storm taking deadly toll on guarantors

webfact

Don't ever guarantor anyone unless they or you are on a guaranteed affordable income (pension springs to mind) but i know thats easily said the reality is very different. I was asked by our bank to guarantor wifey's house purchase, no problem my pension easily covered the monthly repayments. Wifey had no income to meet the repayments, go figure lol

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The guarantor route is the way many Thais go in order to buy a new car and do not have the money to show they qualify.  A friends wife had to do the as the friend would not pay for the car outright and a loan from Krungsri Auto was needed.  The local School director, the friend of the woman's father signed as the guarantor.  The FIL could not sign as he had two cars and a tractor on loan payments.  Of course my friend made the monthly payments so no issues, but just think of those who are not so lucky to have a foreign payment maker in the house.  You may ask, why did not the foreign husband sig as the guarantor and the answer was he is a retiree on a retirement extension of stay and has no WP so the bank would not loan the money for the car with him as the guarantor.

Those who take the loan default and the guarantor is on the hook and as you can see the stress is too much.  

If you can not qualify for aa loan then the banks really should not be making the loans.

Think you have recieved bad financial advice but a very good excuse.  I was an expat on retierment visa and purchased over the years one pickup, one suv and 3 big bikes all on finance. I could walk into tisco bank and walk out with a vehicle loan never once a problem. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm curious as to how bad a threat is it for someone to off themselves. I mean, even having your kneecaps broken would be better than suicide.

Would it now? 

How can you even speculate? 

Why would you even speculate, especially if you are financially stable?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The guarantor route is the way many Thais go in order to buy a new car and do not have the money to show they qualify.  A friends wife had to do the as the friend would not pay for the car outright and a loan from Krungsri Auto was needed.  The local School director, the friend of the woman's father signed as the guarantor.  The FIL could not sign as he had two cars and a tractor on loan payments.  Of course my friend made the monthly payments so no issues, but just think of those who are not so lucky to have a foreign payment maker in the house.  You may ask, why did not the foreign husband sig as the guarantor and the answer was he is a retiree on a retirement extension of stay and has no WP so the bank would not loan the money for the car with him as the guarantor.

Those who take the loan default and the guarantor is on the hook and as you can see the stress is too much.  

If you can not qualify for aa loan then the banks really should not be making the loans.

It is the greed of the Banks that hand out the loans. The banks should be made to take responsibility for their flippant attitude, the person offering the loan usually gets their hands greased, too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Why would anybody act as a Guarantor for somebody that cannot meet the Bank criteria for a Loan, is beyond my comprehension

If the borrower does not meet the Bank criteria, then sure as eggs are eggs they will not meet the Guarantors

Because many Guarantors are Family, or trusted friends, they will not pursue the Loan default and choose to pay to save the embarrassment ( face ) bought upon them

Some, not all, deliberately choose to go the Guarantor route as they know they are almost certain they will not be chased by the guarantor on the default

A lot of people guarantor loans, for a price. Plus the people offering the loan get their hands greased as well.

I'm close to a situation where a Thai woman borrowed money from a government agriculture bank to buy about 3 acres of land (which has potential for development), but the bank would not accept the purchased property as security. They insisted the security be her parents' twice as large parcel, partly because they view every loan as being essentially to an extended family unit, and so they will make only one loan current to any such identified unit. Her parents and siblings (considered heirs) had to all agree, and they did. Then she proceeded not to pay on the loan for 6 years! But the bank did not foreclose, they just kept tacking on principle til the face of the loan was 33% more than it had started. Now she's making sufficient payments again, and the bank is happy, but the family as well as she remain on the hook. Anything can happen. A strange country.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You may ask, why did not the foreign husband sig as the guarantor and the answer was he is a retiree on a retirement extension of stay and has no WP so the bank would not loan the money for the car with him as the guarantor.

Aha! So there actually are some positive aspects to the hoop-jumping we have to go through every year for the retirement extensions, lol.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s household debt has ballooned to almost 16 trillion baht, with more and more Thais at risk of defaulting on their loan repayments

Is this the reason Thai baht getting stronger in the region?!! ????????????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm curious as to how bad a threat is it for someone to off themselves. I mean, even having your kneecaps broken would be better than suicide.

My girlfriend's father went guarantee for a loan on a pickup. The guy committed suicide and wrecked the vehicle in the process leaving him with 200k in debt. The family have pressured her for years over the debt apparently. Loose credit policies are to blame.