Opinion Editorial: No, It Isn’t Time to Worry About RETIREMENT VISA Changes….Yet

webfact

So... none of you retirees are thinking that the photo requirements added to "copies of your home bank statement showing your income " for the last 12 months, so that they can see how you pay your B 65K a month into your Thai bank account means nothing???

Can't you see the thin edge of the wedge? If "they" know what your real income is do you think "they" wont make it a percentage of that income a requirement for a RV?? 

• Confused 5

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Difficult for agents to differentiate between Olaf type criminals and retired pensioners.

Maybe time to get rid of people with tattoos

There are many people with tattoos ,Just look at your Tv sports,  Boxers and MMA fighters,Snooker players , Movie stars and many more they are covered in INK.

Are you insinuating that people with Tattoos are criminals . you better look out ,one off those Tattoo covered Sportsman might jus Bump into you.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, mokwit said:

So that makes them deadbeats? Everyone below your financial level is a "deadbeat"? Take care that they don't up things to the level where you are a "deadbeat", despite your vast wealth. I assume you have no problem with Bt3m in a Thai bank, coz my guess is that is what is coming - or the monthly income requirements/$500k/$250k investment of the LTR visas.

I could, but don't want to put $250k or even Bt3m in a Thai bank and some don't want to put Bt400k in a Thai bank.

Yes, they are deadbeats. The O visa is a preliminary step to an extension. If you do not extend, you are not holding up your end of the deal. Wait nine months and try again if you like. This is the reason that some offices are requiring the 800k up front.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Yeah rightio said:

Not if it's required from your home country as per an application for an OA Visa they won't.

get rid of the Non-O completely, and if the reason for being here long term is either retirement or marriage make them O-A ONLY. That way a police check must be done in home country when applying.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

get rid of the Non-O completely, and if the reason for being here long term is either retirement or marriage make them O-A ONLY. That way a police check must be done in home country when applying.

The O and O-A serve different purposes. 

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

So what visa are you on that you want everybody else's cancelled and everyone subjected to onerous requirements? All these people demanding stricter visa requirements without thinking the rising tide will reach them because they are the "good" farangs.

Again, , all these people who think the rules should be tightened to keep out others - General Prem isn't looking down from the heavens on you thinking, ahh yes, this is the type of good falang who are welcome in Thailand.

The Thai elite are really actually only interested in the type of Foreigner they would like to be photographed with, or who they think can arrange a prestigious school or university place for their children with a quiet word on their behalf.

where did I say anything about visas being cancelled. Going forward all marriage & retirement visas should be Non O-A only. At least that way a police check must be done in the home country before the visa can be issued. I certainly get the impression from many in this forum, that those that complain the most about visa & extension requirements are the ones that mostly use agents to circumvent those requirements because they don't meet them. Yes there are some that use agents who actually meet the requirements, but they are basically too lazy to do it themselves. As for me I'm on an O-A and do not use an agent.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

I think that is pretty much the same thing as "cancelled".

People who use agents are not affected. It is those of us who do it ourselves bove board who get inconvenienced.

it has nothing to do with cancelled. Existing O's continue or are converted to O-A automatically by Immigration. All future new retirement or marriage visa applications should be O-A only.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Robin said:

Careful about asking for a 'Criminal Record Check'  as my experience of this (in UK) is that you have to apply in person at your local police station and not that quick or easy.   If this was required for every extension (yearly?) how many of us retires would want to go back to home country every year?

Are we sure hat every M/c gang member has a criminal record?

AS ever it would be far easier for criminals to get round this that ordinary citizens.

(UK) Last time I looked at this (for a job prospect) it had been farmed out to a private company and they required a post code ie UK residence, as they simply checked court judgements against the address. I gave up but will no doubt have to deal with this in due course.

Just now, Mario Cosmopolite said:

(UK) Last time I looked at this (for a job prospect) it had been farmed out to a private company and they required a post code ie UK residence, as they simply checked court judgements against the address. I gave up but will no doubt have to deal with this in due course.

Surely not - years ago criminal convictions were in a central database and the form generated was called a "Form 609". I can't imagine they have decentralised it. Are you thinking about civil "county court" judgements?

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

What about the criminals who come in on a VE/VOA and stay long term by overstaying? They are after all criminals, so they can't be relied on to follow the law.

That is what fake stamps are about - they are not in the computer but they will stand an on the street inspection by ordinary RTP - maybe even IB as they seem not to be able to access their own data via the internet when out and about.

gotta start somewhere.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

It takes quite a while in the UK to get the said document and what do you want people already here on Non 0 visas for many years already to do?

Fly back to the UK to get one of these documents once a year?

God knows how long it would take! ....When I was in UK (2008) I needed a CR Check for a job application. Applied in Feb and finally got it in April, No Criminal Record BTW, by which time I had another (Different) Job!