UK releases recommendations for fall COVID boosters

The United Kingdom's vaccine advisory group today announced its recommendations for the updated COVID-19 vaccines that will roll out in the fall, which focus on people ages 65 and older and others at higher risk for severe disease.

Aside from those ages 65 and older, the list includes people in nursing facilities and their caregivers, people ages 6 months to 64 who are in clinical risk groups, people ages 12 to 64 who are family contacts of immunocompromised people, and frontline health and social care workers.

In separate document, the JCVI spelled out the people included in the clinical risk groups, which includes pregnant women, people with chronic conditions such as heart disease and diabetes, individuals who are immunosuppressed, and people who are morbidly obese.

(more)

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/uk-releases-recommendations-fall-covid-boosters

43 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Not clear (at least to me) that what's being recommended in the release is or isn't a multi-variant dose ...

I believe both the U.S. and the UK are planning monovalent COVID vaccines for later this fall, as follows (excerpt from the above OP):

"Vaccine companies are making newer versions of the vaccine targeting the XBB.1.5 Omicron variant, and manufacturers have already scaled up production as they await regulatory approval."

AND

"In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the middle of June recommended a switch to a monovalent XBB.1.5 vaccine for fall immunization. Health officials are awaiting official recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe both the U.S. and the UK are planning monovalent COVID vaccines for later this fall, as follows (excerpt from the above OP):

"Vaccine companies are making newer versions of the vaccine targeting the XBB.1.5 Omicron variant, and manufacturers have already scaled up production as they await regulatory approval."

AND

"In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the middle of June recommended a switch to a monovalent XBB.1.5 vaccine for fall immunization. Health officials are awaiting official recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

Yes, I saw that. But what's happened to the much-trumpeted multi-valents?

My recollection is that 6 months ago - in US & Aus at any rate - the multi-valents were all the go. Are they now finished (ie no supply)? or still being worked on? or no good at all?

15 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

My recollection is that 6 months ago - in US & Aus at any rate - the multi-valents were all the go. Are they now finished (ie no supply)? or still being worked on? or no good at all?

The current vaccines that have been in use for some time now are the bivalent version, aimed at both the original version of the virus and a later Omicron variant.

The original version of the virus is pretty much no longer circulating, and everything these days is pretty much some version of the Omicron variant... Thus the change for the upcoming vaccines to a monovalent version  specifically targeting XBB.1.5.

The original version of the virus is no longer relevant/pertinent.

The current versions of the bivalent vaccines were aimed at now mostly declined prior Omicron variants (BA versions) that preceded the more recent XBB.1.5. version.

"The bivalent COVID-19 vaccines have two mRNA components: one of which corresponds to the original strain of the virus that is broadly protective against COVID-19 and the other corresponds to the omicron variant BA.4 and BA.5 lineages to provide better protection against COVID-19 caused by the omicron variant."

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/covid-19-bivalent-vaccines

The COVID virus has continued mutating/changing since its arrival, just like the flu virus changes somewhat every year, as do the annual flu vaccines.

Thus, the COVID vaccine makers and the various public health authorities are periodically  updating the versions of the vaccine provided to the public to provide the best possible protections against the currently circulating variants.

OK, thanks for that. That's useful. I had been waiting patiently for the multi-valents to arrive in Thailand but clearly that's now passé.

I guess we can all now await XBB.1.5 some time in the future, probably next year (noting that roll-out in the UK is coming in 'the fall' ie late this year).

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Who cares?

COVID is over for the majority of the world's population for now!

31 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

OK, thanks for that. That's useful. I had been waiting patiently for the multi-valents to arrive in Thailand but clearly that's now passé.

The bivalent COVID vaccines, both Pfizer and Moderna flavors, have been available and used in Thailand for many months now.

I don't know about what MoPH has been using for the Thai general population out in the hinterlands lately...

But at least here in BKK and specifically for the farang oriented vaccination centers, they all have been offering the bivalent vaccines (already long in use in the West) for some time now... largely supplies I believe that were donated to Thailand by various foreign governments like France and South Korea.

What's less clear/unknown, is just what the Thai MoPH is or isn't going to do for the NEXT cycle of COVID vaccinations beyond the current bivalent ones that are already available here.

But, to be fair, the MoPH lately has done a pretty poor job of publicizing just where and when the COVID vaccines will actually be available, especially in terms of any communications aimed at the non-Thai reading population. The little communicating they have been doing has mostly been in TH language.

25 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, not easy for me to stir my b/f into action on this one.

The whole issue keeps moving to the right ...

This is the most recent COVID vaccination info I can find from the BMA in Bangkok dated August 3. Note that they're offering bivalent versions of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines at various district public health centers around Bangkok:

[translation via Google Translate]

"Open for walk in and registration through the QueQ app.

Every Wednesday except public holidays, accept walk in  Time 09.00-15.00

Every Friday, except public holidays, receive walk-ins and register through the QueQ app.

Time 09.00-15.00

For more information, call 0 2203 2883 from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM."

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/pfbid02WTgWsemdGVHrAv3U9pANDSShARx6rgV4twUBfKub99MqApEyheaEiPLfgoQ1AmEBl

The instructions in the graphic below say foreigners residing long-term in Thailand should bring either their passport or TH pink ID card as a form of identification. (Typically these kinds of free government-offered COVID vaccinations have not been available for free to tourists).

987366415_2023-08-04COVIDvaccinations.thumb.jpg.07a62e3e8fabe24ef6226c0ec6fdb9d1.jpg

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This is the most recent COVID vaccination info I can find from the BMA in Bangkok dated August 3. Note that they're offering bivalent versions of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines at various district public health centers around Bangkok:

[translation via Google Translate]

"Open for walk in and registration through the QueQ app.

Every Wednesday except public holidays, accept walk in  Time 09.00-15.00

Every Friday, except public holidays, receive walk-ins and register through the QueQ app.

Time 09.00-15.00

For more information, call 0 2203 2883 from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM."

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/pfbid02WTgWsemdGVHrAv3U9pANDSShARx6rgV4twUBfKub99MqApEyheaEiPLfgoQ1AmEBl

The instructions in the graphic below say foreigners residing long-term in Thailand should bring either their passport or TH pink ID card as a form of identification. (Typically these kinds of free government-offered COVID vaccinations have not been available for free to tourists).

987366415_2023-08-04COVIDvaccinations.thumb.jpg.07a62e3e8fabe24ef6226c0ec6fdb9d1.jpg

Thanks, have taken a copy for use at an appropriate moment. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2023 at 4:56 PM, mfd101 said:

This excerpt from yesterday's NY Times article What to Know About the New Covid Booster Shotssays it all:

Unlike the bivalent shots from last fall, the latest mRNA vaccines developed by Pfizer and Moderna are monovalent, meaning they are designed to protect against just one variant: XBB.1.5… Initial data from preprint studies has suggested that the bivalent formula from last year was no more effective against BA.4 and BA.5 than the original vaccine it replaced because of so-called “immune imprinting” bias.
“Our immune system, when we have  seen something, is biased to seeing that again,” Dr. Ho said. “So if you include the original components, the immune system will react mostly to the original component and not to the new version of the virus.”
  • Like 2

What Dr. Ho is describing is also known as "original antigenic sin", and was first properly categorized in 1960 by the American virologist Thomas Francis Jr.

It was well known in medicine from then on until 2021, when it was forgotten, along with the concept of natural acquired immunity to infection, so it's good to see that the NY Times, of all places, has rediscovered it.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

What Dr. Ho is describing is also known as "original antigenic sin", and was first properly categorized in 1960 by the American virologist Thomas Francis Jr.

It was well known in medicine from then on until 2021, when it was forgotten, along with the concept of natural acquired immunity to infection, so it's good to see that the NY Times, of all places, has rediscovered it.

Yes, that NY Times quote (which was of course buried deep into the article) is pretty amazing for 2 reasons:

#1 - It actually admits that the bivalent booster roll-out was a 'mistake' because the immune imprinting (original antigenic sin) mechanism was well-known but conveniently forgotten;

#2 - The fall covid-boosters are now targetting only one covid-variant: XBB 1.5.  And that variant has in mean time already been made obsolete by new variants, and so the lab-boys hope that their XBB 1.5 jab will still provide some protection against the current variants (e.g. Pirola).  

NOTE: And this now FDA-approved XBB 1.5 booster shot has not gone through any reported trials for safety or efficacy at all...

• Like 1

Crickets when actual facts come out.  When the NYT actually carries facts, that's quite noteworthy.  

"NOTE: And this now FDA-approved XBB 1.5 booster shot has not gone through any reported trials for safety or efficacy at all"    I read something about the cdc "suggesting" it might work, but not actually using their tried and true mantra "safe and effective".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, dhupverg said:

Crickets when actual facts come out.  When the NYT actually carries facts, that's quite noteworthy.  

"NOTE: And this now FDA-approved XBB 1.5 booster shot has not gone through any reported trials for safety or efficacy at all"    I read something about the cdc "suggesting" it might work, but not actually using their tried and true mantra "safe and effective".

Use of terms such as "likely", "should", "suggests" seems the norm for pfizer and moderna verbiage now for describing EUA only authorized vaccines (currently on the 8th dose) which are not licensed and approved by the FDA.

“Likely”

About 97% of Americans have some immunity to COVID-19 due to prior vaccinations or infections, the CDC estimates.6 Even if the new vaccines aren’t enough to block infection from newer variants, they’ll likely protect people from serious illness, the agency said. 

“Should”

"New COVID-19 Vaccines Should Protect Against "BA.2.86 and EG.5, Early Research Shows

While initially designed to target June's dominant variant of XBB.1.5, research shows these vaccines should protect against newer variants, like BA.2.86, as well."

"Suggests”

"Pending CDC signoff, updated vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer will soon be available to protect against newer COVID variants. While they were created to target XBB.1.5, research suggests they offer adequate protection against more recent variants, like BA.2.86 and EG.5."

Will New COVID-19 Vaccines Protect Against BA.2.86? (verywellhealth.com)

But don't despair, Moderna conducted clinical trials on 50 adults (no children), and pfizer conducted trials on 10 mice and submitted data results when requesting EUA for new monovalent vaccine (the 2023-2024 vaccine, a monovalent, only targets the XBB.1.5 variant). They have another ongoing trial in 400 people but no results or data available as of today's date.

https://www.factcheck.org/2023/09/scicheck-qa-on-the-updated-covid-19-vaccines/

Approving experimental vaccines without first conducting human clinical trials is happening.

FDA expected to authorize new Covid boosters without data from tests in people

The lack of human data means officials likely won’t know how much better the new shots are — if at all — until the fall booster campaign is well underway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2023 at 2:58 PM, Cult of the Sun said:

Other than procreation, I've yet to see any evidence injections have ever helped anyone, ever.  I don't get the insinuation here.  Not subjecting the elderly to an experiment is not caring?  I remember watching the munsters as a child, where the attractive girl was referred to as ugly. Is this that same world?

I would expect that kind of post from a "cult" member.........:wacko:

• Like 2

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2023/p0912-COVID-19-Vaccine.html

"Last season, those who received a 2022-2023 COVID-19 vaccine saw greater protection against illness and hospitalization than those who did not receive a 2022-2023 vaccine.  To date, hundreds of millions of people have safely received a COVID-19 vaccine under the most intense safety monitoring in U.S. history."

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2023/what-to-know-about-the-updated-covid-19-vaccine-for-fall/winter-2023

"All viruses mutate, so while none of the variants circulating right now are exact matches to the vaccine, they’re all closely related to the XBB.1.5 strain it’s based on. Studies have shown that antibodies generated to the XBB.1.5 variant cross-react well with the EG.5 variant. The same is true for the FL.1.5.1 variant, which has been increasing in prevalence since mid-summer."

I thought I would give this topic an injection of facts.

• Like 1