What % of farangs in Thailand are worth talking to?

bignok

59 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The whole point of visiting Thailand is to bang the locals.

If you don't want them, why would you come here, there are many better places for everything else.

The culture BMT, the culture! :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, that is not Save the Frogs claiming to be a flat-earther!   Try again.

Well Lou you ARE always right.  I don't know what he claims to be then.

If it is allowed to quote a poster from another thread  this is part of what save the frogs posted. He poaches  typical flat earth pseudoscientific rhetoric  about "perspective" to explain why we can only see from the airplane maximum about 20 statute miles straight ahead at 3000 feet altitude and more than 200 at 35,000. Then he posts quote "you're seeing a flat earth"  When it is actually just simple geometry ????

I don't think many  actually believes the earth is flat, so there are few true "Flat Earthers".  Except for some christian fundamentalists. Even the conspiracy mongerers know it is nonsense, they do it for a reaction or profits.

「the difference between 3000 feet and 35,000 feet is because the perspective of the horizon changes with altitude. but it's still a horizon, which implies flatness. 

you're seeing a flat earth. you're not seeing a globe. but it could be because the altitude is not high enough.」- save the frogs , July 8

Edited by Captain Monday

9 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

He poaches  typical flat earth pseudoscientific rhetoric  about "perspective" to explain why we can only see from the airplane maximum about 20 statute miles straight ahead at 3000 feet altitude and more than 200 at 35,000. Then he posts quote "you're seeing a flat earth"  When it is actually just simple geometry 

The towers of the Humber Bridge rest on pylons in the estuary bed. The towers are 1410 metres apart, and 155.5 metres high. If the Earth were flat, the towers would be parallel. But they’re not. The cross-sectional centre lines at the tops of the two towers are 36 millimetres further apart than at the bases. Using similar triangles, we can calculate the radius of the Earth from these dimensions:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woof999 said:

I'd meet anyone from on here, with few exceptions.

There are a few who seem to be genuine "good eggs" and of course there are plenty of muppets.

I'd meet the good eggs for obvious reasons. I'd meet the muppets to see if they are just as obnoxious when face to face. I've learned from the obnoxious before. I've also formed long lasting relationships with people who, at first impression, I thought were a waste of time.

I'd even meet a Trump supporter until it was obvious that his / her IQ was typical of the fold.

friends doesnt comes easy, the older you get, same as women. 

The funny part is most of us, is more forgiving about our friends bull pie, than our women. we can tolerate more bad behaviours from friends than we can from those who we love where small things easily gets annoying. Why so? Almost zero tolerance sometimes before it becomes a problem. 

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The funny part is most of us, is more forgiving about our friends bull pie, than our women. we can tolerate more bad behaviours from friends than we can from those who we love where small things easily gets annoying.

You said it   "those who we love " we care enough to be bothered. Friends we can tell them to <deleted> off and we can leave, Can't do that with those you love and have to live with 24/7

Now that I am older and a bit wiser, I have a system. When wife says or does something that really grinds my gears, I tell myself, "if this so bad that we could start a fight, it will still be bad enough in an hour" so I wait an hour, and guess what?

Even if it is still bad enough in an hour, it is hard to fight while having sex,

and afterwards you take a nap anyway. ????

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Feeling is mutual ... ????

I'll keep my socializing limited to the locals, family & friends. Conversations of family, kids, gardening, cooking, holidays, life activities.  Not revolve around alcohol & hookers, or bashing other nationalities. 

Yet you mix with "your trash" on here, hypocrite or what..........:ermm:

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Plenty of intelligent, respectful people on here to chit chat with.  Others, I simply reply to comments.  Certainly doesn't mean I'd want to meet them.

I did have 8 pages of ignore list at one time.  And I ignore a lot of posters, and threads.  Will usually respond when someone quotes me, though if taking you for instance, usually regret that I bothered ... ????

Some comments are interesting, some funny. Sometimes you learn. You wouldn't learn from Trans except what not to do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Plenty of intelligent, respectful people on here to chit chat with.  Others, I simply reply to comments.  Certainly doesn't mean I'd want to meet them.

I did have 8 pages of ignore list at one time.  And I ignore a lot of posters, and threads.  Will usually respond when someone quotes me, though if taking you for instance, usually regret that I bothered ... ????

I don't believe you, 8 pages................????

• Love It 1

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

Some comments are interesting, some funny. Sometimes you learn. You wouldn't learn from Trans except what not to do.

Well, me winning poster of the year seems to contradict you, and I most certainly contradict you on a daily basis, there is no other option in your case.....................:guitar:...........................????..........................????

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

How much longer will this forum survive? I guess this place for many, is the one of the few  places most here talk to other expats who is in the same situation as themselves, exept meeting up at the local bar, birthdays, playing golf or other activities. 

How many here meet friends regularly outside those arena's? Dropping by and sit down having a chat without drinking, or doing an activity? 

I have tried to connect with a few around our area, but we are to far apart by life experiences, political, and missing a connection to maintain a friendship. 

Anyway easy to jump on the bike and hook up with someone riding for a few days, and thats great, at least something that connects us and sharing experiences.

I have a few friends around in Thailand who I see randomly, but making the extra effort to keep a relation to someone closer, is not worth it. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

How much longer will this forum survive? I guess this place for many is the one of the few  places most here talk to other expats, who is in the same situation as themselves exept meeting up at the local bar, birthdays, playing golf or other activities. 

How many here meet friends regularly outside those arena's? Dropping by and sit down having a chat without drinking, or doing an activity? 

I have tried to connect with a few around our area, but we are to far apart by life experiences, political, and missing a connection to maintain a friendship. 

Anyway easy to jump on the bike and hook up with someone riding for a few days, and thats great, at least something that connects us sand sharing experiences.

I have a few friends around in Thailand who I see randomly, but making the extra effort to keep a relation to someone closer is not worth it. 

I wish people were more positive. Mostly just arguments about cc and politics. Why dont people go read 20 scientific papers, half skeptic, half alarmist. Politics yawn.

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

How much longer will this forum survive? I guess this place for many is the one of the few  places most here talk to other expats, who is in the same situation as themselves exept meeting up at the local bar, birthdays, playing golf or other activities. 

Anyway easy to jump on the bike and hook up with someone riding for a few days, and thats great, at least something that connects us sand sharing experiences.

I have a few friends around in Thailand who I see randomly, but making the extra effort to keep a relation to someone closer is not worth it. 

Friday night I was at a family party, my farang friends and wives were invited along as I was the Star singing attraction..........:guitar:..........????

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

When lived in Udon Thani, we had regular forum meet ups, once a month, and met lots of folks.  A few friends from those meetings, where I'd pop over to there house, or them at ours.  Or just at the meet ups, and TBH, once a month seeing anyone is enough for me.  

Also met a few too many, whose true colors came out after a while.  Some down right nasty or scammers.

Now, I don't know any expats where I live, or with few exceptions, have struck up a conversation with any while out & about locally.

There are a couple groups of expats, that sit surfside, nightly and or every so often, along with 2 new venues, where they hang out.  Same 5-10 that live in the area.  None of which I've met or made an effort to.  Have never dined out either place, as menu doesn't interest me.

Enjoy the Thais that I know here, and we've been to each others houses, or hung out surfside together.  All positive thinking, open minded folks you don't mind talking with.  Same with family when together, though most live a far now.   Use to see them weekly/monthly when lived in Udon Thani. 

Mirrors my social life in USA, and not much difference at all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bignok said:

Impressive.

I gave them all a reprieve a while back, and that took awhile, as had to do each individually.  Used to be a 'clear all' but it's not there, or I missed it.

Now, just shy of 1 page filling up on ignore list, as they offer nothing I want to read.  Others I simply ignore when reading, know not to reply or it will be endless silly repeat replies.

I ignore most of the threads that enticed my fan club to reply to me.  The forum really is a fast read of late.  Still have about 5 that feel the need to reply to me.  I just ignore them.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I gave them all a reprieve a while back, and that took awhile, as had to do each individually.  Used to be a 'clear all' but it's not there, or I missed it.

Now, just shy of 1 page filling up on ignore list, as they offer nothing I want to read.  Others I simply ignore when reading, know not to reply or it will be endless silly repeat replies.

I ignore most of the threads that enticed my fan club to reply to me.  The forum really is a fast read of late.  Still have about 5 that feel the need to reply to me.  I just ignore them.  

Could be your avatar..........:whistling:.................????

I have often been told and also noticed here and there that in Thailand better to keep distance from all the farangs, the so called ex SPECOPS, ex SAS. ex SEALS etc...  These mythomaniacs are just trouble and many are into drugs probable or other dodgy or illegal stuff.  Obvisouly one cannot generalise, but the agressive and drunk tatooed brit or Aussie ? no thanks, not for me. Once again all are not like what describes obviously, but I do not intend to check that out.

Just stick with my circle of acquaintances and mingle with the locals who are fine.... provided you respect them and dont show that you can spend 15'000 THB in a few hours of a shopping spree in Pattaya !!

1 minute ago, Sigmund said:

I have often been told and also noticed here and there that in Thailand better to keep distance from all the farangs, the so called ex SPECOPS, ex SAS. ex SEALS etc...  These mythomaniacs are just trouble and many are into drugs probable or other dodgy or illegal stuff.  Obvisouly one cannot generalise, but the agressive and drunk tatooed brit or Aussie ? no thanks, not for me. Once again all are not like what describes obviously, but I do not intend to check that out.

Just stick with my circle of acquaintances and mingle with the locals who are fine.... provided you respect them and dont show that you can spend 15'000 THB in a few hours of a shopping spree in Pattaya !!

Who told you, and it seems you hang out in dodgy areas.............?  ????

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Who told you, and it seems you hang out in dodgy areas.............?  ????

Who told me ? Well obvisouly a distinguished and highly reliable thai forum asean member like you mylord...who else ? ????

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Did I..........:stoner:

Whatever you say my lord...I will oblige anything you say including all your ex previous ex SAS, Navy Seal exploits,...name it and I will give thou all the praise with due dilligence... amen.

• Haha 1