Retirement Visa using the 65,000 Income method ?

On 8/12/2023 at 8:12 PM, CartagenaWarlock said:

And if it does not? Do you chase down the source and ensure that you have the proof that it came from abroad?

Yes, as a previous poster has said you can get paperwork from Wise but most likely you will need co-operation from your Thai bank and Wise's Thai bank (I think they use Kasikorn but don't quote me). If you don't choose 'Funds for Long term stay in Thailand' as the reason you are transferring money then the funds are sent by Wise to Kasikorn and then to your bank internally so the final transfer is domestic and not international. If you choose 'Funds for long term stay in Thailand' the transfer takes longer, up to 72 hours, as Kasikorn send the money manually and reference it as an international transfer.

Edited by Jaggg88

46 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

1 final point, I was able to use a Fixed Deposit account BUT I had to make a small! (Minimum transfer in value seemed to be 10K) deposit & get the book updated before getting the statement/certificate.

I also have a FD account

For each extension I do the deposit which also is an update .

At same time get the bank letter. 

Easy at CW as banks are on lower level..

Think you made a typo.

The minimum deposit for most banks FD a/c is 1000baht..

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The minimum deposit for most banks FD a/c is 1000baht..

I was transferring from my other BKK account using their Mobile App & it didn’t seem to like 1,136.03 THB (was trying to get my FD account to a nice round number) so I tried 10,134.03 (messed up the nice round number by 2b!) & it worked. 

Maybe different amounts when depositing in person to the mobile app?

Maybe they can form a committee to see if they can possibly make the requirments for various visas more complicated and complex....that way more agents needed to help get around the crazy requirements providing more bribe $$ to mr bigs as the more complicated and onerous it is the more Rolexs and BMW's for the people who control it all.

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

explanation was accurate, though the visa application for the Non O at Jomtien often differs from the standard practice at other offices.

It could very well have been.  The "terminology" here in Thailand gets intermixed.  

At the Chonburi immigration office THEY used the term that I would first have to apply for a 90 day extension before applying for the long term Non-O visa.  Perhaps the first 90 day extension is the non-0 and that the one year is an extension. 

Either way the only thing different is the "semantics"  You have to apply twice.  One for 90 days and then again after only 75 days.  Now perhaps from a technical standpoint the 90 day visa is the Non-O retirement visa.  That does not make very good sense in that who would consider a visa lasting only 90 days to be "retirement' 

The TM. 7 form one way or always refers to it as an extension to stay.  

The application says "extension of stay"  TM.7 TM.7 APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM .

17 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It appears you visited immigration and supplied income proof and used TM87 form to obtain 90 day non immigrant O visa entry stamp (cost 2,000 baht).  Then returned 75 days later to apply for a one year extension of stay for retirement using new income proof and TM7 form at cost of 1,900 bah

You are probably correct.  The term Visa and Extension to Stay are often used to describe each other.  The TM-7 calls it an extension to stay.  I can just recall that the immigration officer at Chonburi said I would have to apply for a 90 day visa then apply for the 1 year Non-O.  He could have been somewhat innacurate in that the 90 day granted me the Non-O and the second a one  year extension.  

15 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

The TM. 7 form one way or always refers to it as an extension to stay.  

This is the key. If you are applying for a temporary extension of your permission to stay, you use the TM7 form. You must meet the conditions for whatever reason for the extension you are applying for. You cannot apply directly for a one-year extension by reason of retirement after entering visa exempt.

Before applying for an extension by reason of retirement, you must apply for a Non O visa using form TM87 (if you entered visa exempt) or TM86 (if you entered with a tourist visa). The Non O visa is used for many purposes. Its original purpose was for a visit to Thailand of up to 90 days, though it is now repurposed to allow an application at Immigration. That is why you receive an initial 90-day stay when granted a Non O visa at Immigration.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Before applying for an extension by reason of retirement, you must apply for a Non O visa using form TM87

You certainly could be correct.  It was 5 years ago.  I only recall the man at immigration first saying I had to apply for a 90 day extension.  

As mentioned the only thing that differs is the semantics.  Visa vs Extension.  

If I obtain a visa to stay in lets say the USA.  Would that be any different if they termed it an extension of my tourist visa.  

One way or another, you apply twice.  

13 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

You are probably correct. 

He is not "probably" correct rather he IS correct.

Here is a thread (very short) ...point is  in my first post I have links to 3 threads.

Give them a read and perhaps you might understand the process and realize it's not semantics at all.

1 minute ago, Longwood50 said:

If I obtain a visa to stay in lets say the USA.  Would that be any different if they termed it an extension of my tourist visa.  

As long as they actually issue you a visa, it does not matter whether they call it a visa or a "super-duper airport ticket" or anything else. It is still better, for understanding purposes, if the correct terminology is used.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:27 PM, DrJack54 said:

Even if not tagged FTT. Your bank can provide internal transfer from o/s . Not a big deal.

I do a monthly transfer via Wise to my Bkk Bank, have done for three years with no problem, always FTT in my book, until May this year when for some reason, Wise sent it to Kasikorn, who then forwarded it to Bkk, but as a local transfer. Bkk Bank could/would not have any paperwork showing Wise, so had to get a Credit Advice from Kasikorn showing the path the money had taken. Took a week and Bht 200 to get it.

• Like 1

Some IOs, mine being one, will accept a Combination Method, in my case Bht 400k in the bank and Bht 40k per month FTT = total Bht 880k per year. I never asked if the 400k can be down to 200k for the middle 7 months of the year, not be too cheeky eh?

Next year, it will be Bht 35k per month = Bht 420k plus my 400k.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Bkk Bank could/would not have any paperwork showing Wise, so had to get a Credit Advice from Kasikorn showing the path the money had taken. Took a week and Bht 200 to get it.

Yes and a pain in....

Kasikorn is partner bank for WISE thinking Bangkok Bank aso is.

Have read posts similar to your experience.

Wonder if someone has been able to set up something with WISE that avoids this.

Guessing you selected reason as the last option "long term stay"

I'm interested as planning on switching from money in bank method to income method and don't want the trouble you and some others have had

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes, you can get Wise to TAG your account. I discovered that it was a bank holiday weekend, and Wise will then use the quickest way to get your money to you, ie via Kasikorn. A small PITA but not insurmountable.

Another solution would be to open a Kasikorn account.

But then WHY? Bkk Bank always worked for me, except that once. If it happens again, I now know the exact procedure at K'korn.

Edited by KannikaP

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Another solution would be to open a Kasikorn account.

Bit off topic ... however just had a look at my Kasikorn savings account current page 

Has ""TRN" Code for recent transfers using WISE..

Don't know what that means and it's not FTT. 

IMG_20230815_090759_288.jpg

Edited by DrJack54

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If transferring for visa requirement then always choose the "Long term stay in Thailand" reason AND it doesn't hurt to contact Wise and ask them to send to your bank only and not some partner bank, in my case Bangkok Bank). Many many months ago I sent Wise a email with the following + their response, no problems since.

"Hello, I'm a US citizen living in Thailand and was wondering how can I add a tag so my future THB transfers are only routed through Bangkok Bank?"

"Thanks for reaching out and apologies for the late reply.
I have added the necessary tags for your future THB transfers to be routed through Bangkok Bank.
Do note however that this has been applied only to your existing THB recipients- so if you would like this to be applied to a different THB account in the future, do reach out again to us and we'll be more than happy to help you with it again???? 
I would also like to inform that though we try to always route with your preferred payment partner, this tagging does not work 100% of the time as sometimes the partner itself has issues with paying out so we end up using another payout partner. 
Please let me know if you have further queries and I'd be happy to help.

Have a lovely weekend. "

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bbko said:

Many many months ago I sent Wise a email with the following + their response, no problems since.

Thanks for that. 

Will do the same.

I always select the "long term stay in Thailand" ....

I my post just prior to yours do you know what the "TRN" Code is in photo of my bank book?

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes and a pain in....

Kasikorn is partner bank for WISE thinking Bangkok Bank aso is.

Have read posts similar to your experience.

I'm interested as planning on switching from money in bank method to income method and don't want the trouble you and some others have had

The best you can do is have a Bangkok Bank account, and use the appropriate reason for transfer. WISE has stated that in those specific circumstances, your transfer will usually show up as FTT on a Bangkok Bank statement. They have warned that it could occasionally happen that they cannot expeditiously arrange a transfer direct to Bangkok Bank, in which case it might (as reported) end up being a domestic transfer from Kasikorn.

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Although not 100% guarantee many of us have our accounts tagged to only  use same bank for transfer (ie Bangkok Bank account have them fund from their Bangkok Bank account).  This may result in all transfers being received at 1400 however - even if you do not tik funds for long term stay in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks for that. 

Will do the same.

I my post just prior to yours do you know what the "TRN" Code is in photo of my bank book?

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks for that. 

Will do the same.

All the codes are explained on the inside back cover on a Bkk Bank Book. Have a look on your K'korn book.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Although not 100% guarantee many of us have our accounts tagged to only  use same bank for transfer (ie Bangkok Bank account have them fund from their Bangkok Bank account).  This may result in all transfers being received at 1400 however - even if you do not tik funds for long term stay in Thailand.

My Bkk Bank is tagged by Wise, but if I do not click Long Term Stay, the transfer is immediate, but not as an FTT. 

If it IS clicked, the money arrives at 2pm that same day if initiated very early, before 6am, or 2pm the next day.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

All the codes are explained on the inside back cover on a Bkk Bank Book. Have a look on your K'korn book.

Yes tried that.

In my photo posted earlier 

CS is cash withdrawal.

TRN is not listed 

TR is "cheque or transfer" 

No mention of international transfer

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

My Bkk Bank is tagged by Wise, but if I do not click Long Term Stay, the transfer is immediate, but not as an FTT. 

If it IS clicked, the money arrives at 2pm that same day if initiated very early, before 6am, or 2pm the next day.

That is not the case with mine recently.  Regardless of reason transfer to selected account will be FTT at normal 1400 Bangkok Time.

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That is not the case with mine recently.  Regardless of reason transfer to selected account will be FTT at normal 1400 Bangkok Time.

In my years of experience with Wise, if LONG STAY is not clicked, the transfer will be immediate and NOT an FTT. I have proved this by doing separate transfers when money was needed immediately.

Has your scenario been proved?

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

In my years of experience with Wise, if LONG STAY is not clicked, the transfer will be immediate and NOT an FTT. I have proved this by doing separate transfers when money was needed immediately.

Has your scenario been proved?

Yes.  And as said this is within the last several months that it has changed.

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Not all the codes.... my two UK pensions are paid into my BKB savings account.  They have the code BTN next to them.....

There have been many posts on this forum about BahtNet , who, what , why etc.....

So long as you choose the "Long term stay in Thailand" and if by chance the transfer comes from a partner bank, you can still get proof it was in international transfer.

In my case, a long time ago (before asking Wise to tag my transfers) the transfer into my Bangkok Bank came from Kasikorn, I had to go to a special branch of Kasikorn, specifically one of their "International Trade Service Center" with my passport, my Bangkok Bank book, my Wise details of the transfer, paid a couple 100b and they gave me proof it was an international transfer and my IO was satisfied.

Kbank International Trade Service Center Link

1 hour ago, brianburi said:

Not all the codes.... my two UK pensions are paid into my BKB savings account.  They have the code BTN next to them.....

If they are being used as your monthly Foreign transfer, does your IO accept them as such?

If they are not needed as that, it doesn't matter how they are designated.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes.  And as said this is within the last several months that it has changed.

It has not changed for me. I did ask Wise to tag my Bkk Bank account several years ago, and all have been direct to Bkk as FTT, except for May this year when I transferred over a bank holiday weekend, so it went to Kasikorn.