Can I use a Thai DL to hire a car in oz?

Similar to the replies above, so not directly related to Aus. I was in the UK a couple of months ago. Hired a car, presented my UK driving license. Was asked for proof of UK address, which I do not have. Presented my Thai license (with of course the address in Thai so they can't read any of it) and all was good. Had IDP to support the Thai license just in case and they weren't interested in that either.

I did question the logic about the proof of address (why needed on the UK license but not on the Thai license) and shoulders shrugged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reginald Prewster said:

I am working abroad and in Holland, Norway, Belgium, England, Taiwan, Indonesia and Germany I had no drama to use a Thai license...

I guess the regulations are quite similar. If you stay longer than 6 month you have to change the license to the local one.

My nephew worked in Australia for about 8 years he never changed to Australian license he just renewed his international one year after year.

A genuine Thai driving licence is accepted in most civilised countries at professional car rental businesses.

It is usually valid for a short period without an IDP, but not always. Usually max of 30 days.

I have rented in many European countries on the Thai DL with no trouble. I have also used it in Australia.

Once, at Heathrow, the guy at the car hire place (Europcar) had to check with a small book that showed DL's from all over the world. His only question on the Thai DL was 'which is the licence number?'

I have never had to show my IDP. Even in Portugal where the car hire company has a 'IDP required for British citizens' on their web site. The Thai DL was accepted.

Edited by Tropicalevo

8 hours ago, Oink said:

You can drive on a Thai licence supported by IDP it only costs 500thb but you have to go to the LTA in Chonburi with your licence, two photos and your passport. It is valid for two years.

If you dont get the IDP and have an accident, it can invalidate the insurance.

BS detector working here A Thai plastic photo licence is only valid for 5 years and is almost indistructable, so how can it be "a bit old and faded".?

From what i understabd.. A thai licence alone is fine...  However.. For 500 thb i woild not argue with a country  aus cop

• Haha 1

Thai license are accepted in the UK Australia New Zealand and Canada without the need for an international license. Rental car companies prefer the Thai license over the British because of the much shorter license number.  

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Oink said:

You can drive on a Thai licence supported by IDP it only costs 500thb but you have to go to the LTA in Chonburi with your licence, two photos and your passport. It is valid for two years.

BS detector working here A Thai plastic photo licence is only valid for 5 years and is almost indistructable, so how can it be "a bit old and faded".?

You don't need an international permit to drive in Australia on a Thai license

• Thumbs Up 1

Same positive experience in the USA having both Thai DL and IDL, no US state DL. Had IDL that might be necessary to take a USA rental car into Canada, but remained in the USA. Various car rental concerns seemed more focused on valid credit card and insurance coverage that I bought from each rental agency.

• Thumbs Up 1

Last time I went to the UK which was over four years ago, I had intended to drive my son's car on my Thai license. Problem was the insurance company would not insure a driver with a Thai license.

Hiring a car and driving with a Thai license seems to be fine though.

11 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Its a bit old and faded.

If it is over 5 years old, it is no longer valid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oink said:

You don't need to have an IDP as well as a Thai DL. Have rented (like others here) in numerous countries over past 20 years using just the Thai DL. The rental insurance will not be invalidated if you don't have an IDP.

The printing on the plastic Thai DL is not durable and it starts to fade pretty quickly.

Another benefit of renting with a Thai DL is that - in some countries - the police may choose not to pursue an overseas driver for a speeding ticket etc (I got one in UK some years and when I checked with plod, they said it had been cancelled because it was an overseas driver). 

12 hours ago, advancebooking said:

As we all know it has my name and address in English.

Mine issued at Sukhumvit 101 DL office has the English address incomplete. Whilst the Thai part is correct the English underneath is completely missing a Soi name so just includes the house number followed by sub district and district. Next to useless as a proof of address in English it seems.

11 hours ago, still kicking said:

My nephew worked in Australia for about 8 years he never changed to Australian license he just renewed his international one year after year.

There is no such thing as an International Driving Licence.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Oink said:

You can drive on a Thai licence supported by IDP it only costs 500thb but you have to go to the LTA in Chonburi with your licence, two photos and your passport

Yes I did it too and ride my scooter here in Taiwan since 2020.

Nobody has realized till now, that I am not Born in Thailand as stated on my IDP and German nationality... 

14 hours ago, Woof999 said:

I was in the UK a couple of months ago. Hired a car, presented my UK driving license. Was asked for proof of UK address

I am completely baffled by this, and alarmed (not doubting you). Where in $$$ is the logic in requiring UK address to drive in UK? And why might it be the business of Hertz, etc, to prove where you live?  DVLC does not require that proof!

If they asked it for the credit card, I might regard it as pertinent, but can anyone explain the DL bit? I have a UK licence, no UK proof of address (thankfully) and no problems using it anywhere - yet.

3 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Last time I went to the UK which was over four years ago, I had intended to drive my son's car on my Thai license. Problem was the insurance company would not insure a driver with a Thai license.

Do you not have a UK license?

15 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Was thinking of taking a holiday to oz. I only have a Thai drivers license. As we all know it has my name and address in English. Its a bit old and faded. Will it be accepted to hire a car? Does thailand ever issue International DL's?

thanks

"A bit old and faded", one must renew at 5 years, have you checked the expiry date on it......

3 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

The printing on the plastic Thai DL is not durable and it starts to fade pretty quickly.

Thanks BKKBike. Its precisely what is happening to mine. Oink needs to think before writing troll comments. 

13 hours ago, Oink said: