Thai baht instability rises due to political unrest

snoop1130

Once asked a Thai guy who he was voting for in the election. He said it doesn't matter, their all thieves. But once elected they become a legal thief. So if that's what many Thais think, what's in store for the future. Maybe that futures now, kicking off with currency volatility. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Forecast I am seeing is 46 or 45.85 baht to the pound end of this month. Let's hope the political chaos continues all year if that is the case 

I think the problem with the pound is to the USA Dollar $1.27

Pre -Brexit $1.50 - $1.60

Post Brexit $1.35 -$1.40

Now $1.27 -?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Forecast I am seeing is 46 or 45.85 baht to the pound end of this month. Let's hope the political chaos continues all year if that is the case 

I'm not sure rises in interest rates in the UK are a political football, the more so with an election coming up next year. If UK raises rates then surely the currency will rise, if it moderates rate rises, then the pounds value will relatively reduce. Thailand's exports are slipping which means the demand for baht is reduced weakening the currency.

Note: You should always mistrust forecasts given to two decimal places, it is a fatuous thing to do.

For regular Thais the turbulence in the baht isn't that great I think.  But for the hi-so's of Thailand, who cares! ????   They've created this political mess along with the great manipulator - Thaksin.  Blame the Senators, HI-SOs and the military for all the stagnation after the election.

Yes, we foreigners do make out when transferring in EU, UK, US currency. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

He was correct, not to mention most people here in Thailand aren't really against corruption, they just wish they had a part of it. With that kind of logic, and typical Thai me first attitudes, the direction of the country isn't looking good. Lets hope the young people have had enough of the dinosaurs that have stolen their futures, they'll need to grow a spine first, because its obvious the dinosaurs aren't going away without being physically removed. 

"they just wish they had a part of it"

Unfortunately your words above are very true for a big proportion of Thai people.