What Would You Do If.

NoshowJones

Recently in Pattaya, I found a motorbike key on a ring with a couple of others lying on the pavement next to a few parked motorbikes. I picked it up and gave it to a vendor at the side of the pavement and asked her to watch for someone looking for the keys.

Supposing it had been a wallet with a good few thousand Baht in it and no identification, if you found that would would you do? Hand it in to the police?? Of course that would be fine in a western country, but in Thailand????

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Of course that would be fine in a western country, but in Thailand????

It does not matter where you are or how "they" are.....You can only do you

You going to do what? What you know is "right" or use others behavior to justify joining their club?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Recently in Pattaya, I found a motorbike key on a ring with a couple of others lying on the pavement next to a few parked motorbikes. I picked it up and gave it to a vendor at the side of the pavement and asked her to watch for someone looking for the keys.

Supposing it had been a wallet with a good few thousand Baht in it and no identification, if you found that would would you do? Hand it in to the police?? Of course that would be fine in a western country, but in Thailand????

What actual experience  here can you relate that would support your  implied suggestion that police lost n found is a suss option? 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I would keep it.

I'm receiving no thanks for handing in lost property

I have done this before in the past in my job and received absolutely no thanks ,some even blame you ," why didn't you contact me earlier ,you had my phone number in the wallet !

"Oh there's $20 missing !!!

Etc etc 

Just put it in your pocket 

I recall back in 2011 I was on that boat in Bangkok going up the river when a group of Russian dropped a few 100 baht and didn't see it.

A Thai guy pointed to the floor of the boat ,they picked it up didn't even acknowledge him.

Immediately in front of them I said how stupid he was 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

A wallet with money, but no ID ...

... I'd yell my loudest whisper 'anyone lose a wallet'

Then spend it as needed.   Wouldn't bother giving it to anyone else to find the owner, as would assume, they simply keep it themselves.

If at a place or vendor I frequent, may come back and ask if anyone lost a wallet and left contact info.

Maybe let closest person/vendor know I found 'something', and if someone inquired, they could call the ph# I left w/vendor.

Really isn't much more one can do.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Wow…

I would hope some of the replies here are ‘tongue in cheek’. 
Dependent on the circumstances, I would take a couple of photos and then hand it in. Then perhaps put a post on social media that it was found and handed in at …..

There is no way that I would seek to profit from someone else’s loss ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I were a Thai taxi driver, I would wait for some extremely negative news to be posted in the Thai press, I would then contact the press and hand the lost wallet over to the police while having the press run a story about me being an honest cabbie.

This in turn will help to whitewash any negative press about Thailand that week.

• Haha 1

Decades ago I was crossing a street (not LOS) and saw a crumpled envelope and picked it up.

Inside was a 20$ bill and a scribbled note. The note said something like..."I'm really sorry I'm late paying back the money but I've had some bad luck lately"

What to do ? There was no one nearby so I pocketed the cash but it bothered me for a while because I really felt sorry for the person who lost it.This blog reminded me of the event.

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

If I were a Thai taxi driver, I would wait for some extremely negative news to be posted in the Thai press, I would then contact the press and hand the lost wallet over to the police while having the press run a story about me being an honest cabbie.

This in turn will help to whitewash any negative press about Thailand that week.

Yawn! 

• Haha 1

In 1968 when I was returning home from Vietnam, I found $600 on the floor at the airport in Manila... picked it up and looked around... no one was desperately searching about so I pocketed it.  When I got to the ticket agent I told her what happened and gave her the money and my name and address in the states and told her that if no one claimed it in a reasonable amount of time, please send it to me... about a month after I got home I got an envelope in the mail with $600 in it... amazing... but honesty and a strong belief in Karma does pay dividends.

• Love It 1