Thieves on the run after snatching 400,000 baht from Krung Thai Bank ATM

snoop1130

ดีไซน์ที่ยังไม่ได้ตั้งชื่อ-70.jpg

Thieves remain at large after stealing about 400,000 baht from a Krung Thai Bank ATM in front of Prachanukroh School in the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat.

The deputy manager of the Krung Thai Bank, Janjira Saelim, yesterday lodged a complaint at Tha Sala Police Station complaining that thieves had stolen money from the ATM in the early hours of the morning. Janjira added that the ATM had been replenished with 6.24 million baht a day prior to the crime.

Police officers investigated the ATM and collected the thieves’ fingerprints left on the machine. Officers reported that the criminals opened the ATM’s money storage from the back of the machine. They used a gas-cutting torch to cut the back of the machine and then burned the inner parts of the machine to remove the cash.

Janjira revealed that there was about 4.59 million baht left in the cash machine, adding that bank clients withdrew about 1.25 million in cash, so the thieves managed to steal about 397,000 baht from the ATM. Furthermore, the damages inflicted upon the ATM’s structure incurred a hefty cost of 250,000 baht.

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via Facebook/ กระแสข่าวเมืองคอน

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/cash-caper-thieves-on-the-run-after-snatching-400000-baht-from-krung-thai-bank-atm

-- Thaiger 2023-08-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, transam said:

It seems that 400,000 bht is peanuts compared to farangland....????

Maybe read the article again ''the ATM had been replenished with 6.24 million baht a day prior to the crime.''

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Maybe read the article again ''the ATM had been replenished with 6.24 million baht a day prior to the crime.''

So, minus the 1.25 million withdrawals, they could have gotten almost 5 million, but seems they needed only 400,000...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, minus the 1.25 million withdrawals, they could have gotten almost 5 million, but seems they needed only 400,000...

Maybe they just were in a rush same as gold robbers, or didn't know there would be more drawers inside lol. Maybe the 400k was the leftover of the withdrawals so far, in top drawer.

But pretty sure they slammed their heads against the wall when reading that. Would basically be a retirement for both of them assuming 7-8% returns per year (on gold).

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

I'm surprised that you can cut into an ATM with an Oxy-Acetyleneand get access to the cash box.

I would have expected it to be tamper proof ..... 

Perhaps now they'll implement a new kind whereby if anyone tries to force their way into the box, it will promptly explode and kill everyone within a 10 meter radius???  ????

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Janjira revealed that there was about 4.59 million baht left in the cash machine, adding that bank clients withdrew about 1.25 million in cash, so the thieves managed to steal about 397,000 baht from the ATM.

Hmmm why leave so much inside?

15 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Insane comment. Bit like saying thieves stole my gold watch but i still have 12 more of them just  laying on my bedside table. Complete idiot !

i would say that they could only access 400,000 and could not get into the other 4.59mil  .... for whatever reason ... possibly the 1000 notes box was protected by thicker steel plate. 

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

I'm surprised that you can cut into an ATM with an Oxy-Acetyleneand get access to the cash box.

I would have expected it to be tamper proof ..... 

A number of years ago in Sydney, the favourite way into an ATM, was to fill with oxy /acetylene gas then ignite.

It simply blew itself apart and the cash box's were taken away and opened later

• Thumbs Up 1

A good example how clever they are her, to state exactly how much money has been made outside and how much be in the ATM machines, maybe you give the next one an idea.

Here in Thailand it may be a new phenomenon but in Europe it happens every day, for that reason there are fewer and fewer ATM machines and aiming for a cashless environment.

Small shops, those who still receive cash are having more and more problems with deposit the money at the bank and have to pay at least 5% on the deposit amount to the bank.

14 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

yes read again bank official said " bank clients " had withdrew 1.5 prior to the robbery based on the audit receipts.

In the UK, most ATM's are built into walls for safety. Doesn't help. Favourite method of theft is first steal a JCB digger from a building site and use it to demolish the wall and carry away the ATM machine for leisurely dismantling. Takes less than 5 minutes. 

near my old home a string of thefts over a one month period removed all but one ATM machine in a 5 mile radius, very hard to get cash.