Dengue Fever Cases Climb To 5,000-6,000 A Week

webfact

image.jpeg

THE Public Health Ministry said Friday (Aug. 18) the number of dengue fever patients has risen to around 5,000-6,000 a week over the past four weeks and to cope with the situation emergency operation centres have been opened in 31 provinces and seven other districts, TV Channel 7 said.

Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong, the ministry’s permanent secretary, also revealed that the cumulative total of dengue fever cases has risen to 65,552 while the cumulative death toll is 58, of which 40 were older children and adults.

Death mainly occurs because dengue fever patients often do not think they have caught this disease early on and take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin and  ibuprofen to reduce fever but this leads to easy bleeding with a risk developing dengue shock syndrome.

by TNR Staff

TOP: A mosquito about to bite. Photo:  Erik F. Brandsborg (CC BY-SA 2.0)

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/08/18/dengue-fever-cases-climb-to-5000-6000-a-week/

-- THAI NEWSROOM2023-08-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

Nasty, nasty infection. We all know about malaria but overlook dengue.

I also guess that the actual cases are far higher. 

I agree friends of mine that have got dengue fever had a horrible experience thank God it's not knowing up in the north of Thailand touchwood because there's with all this dry spell there's loads of mosquitoes up here for some reason because we haven't had rain for 3-4 weeks

• Confused 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

Went to Bangkok hospital in Ratchaburi a couple of days ago.  The parking lot was full.  But when we went in there were not many people being seen.  We asked them why and they told us that the hospital rooms were almost full with patients mostly with dengue and bird flu.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Mosquitoes come with the territory.. 

True. But there are defences like mosquito nets, and repellants. By experience, it's not fun. Luckily I was young and strong at the time, strong fevers but stopped after 2-3 days in the hospital. A friend got it this season in CM, ten days in hospital and feeling like s - 4 letters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has been swept under the rug due to covid.  Here in Pattaya there is standing water everywhere you go and turn drought or no drought use to I see once a year crews going around spraying.

Months ago my son wasn't feeling well after two days I sense something not right so took him to private hospital blood test, results noted he had it.  As my son know by now his last name instant need to admit but in conversation doctor admission not much can do but ride it out so we look at each other. 

So my son decline said go home rest and take aspirin which we have plenty.  Said if it gets worse come back but told to come back next day for another check.  Next day again blood test this time they gave him a short 30 minute IV,  Doctor show results blood tests show improvement keep up the good work another 4-5 baht,  come back tomorrow again same routine result doing better 4-5 thousand baht told to come back again next day check again. After I spoke to my son how he was feeling said doing better no fever,  pain just itching we ended up skipping the next day appointment. But his case was reported a crew came by house to spray but my son noted he most likely got bit at work which has a large pond. Crew told him basically can't be bother.????

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

True. But there are defences like mosquito nets, and repellants. By experience, it's not fun. Luckily I was young and strong at the time, strong fevers but stopped after 2-3 days in the hospital. A friend got it this season in CM, ten days in hospital and feeling like s - 4 letters.

A doctor told me when I had it, that getting it a second time is worse and even more dangerous.

There are four variants. of dengue.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Not helped by Thai engineering.  Because no-one knows how to use surveying equipment, drainage is achieved by creating perfect breeding grounds for mosquitos every 10 metres.  The pits are permanently under six inches of water till a downpour allows the rain to move on to freshen up the next chamber.

Of course blame it on the way things are done, the spread couldn't be anything to do with human behaviour, such as using transport systems. The disease comes from humans, that particular species of mosquito only carries the virus from one human to another. The most effective measure against the spread would be containment.

I got it from a bite in a Pattaya hotel.

"Aedes aegypti dwell in tropical and subtropical regions all over the world, mainly between the latitudes of 35°N and 35°S where the winter temperature is no colder than 10°C. Although some mosquitoes may travel farther north or south of these latitudes, they are unable to survive cold winters. Because Aedes aegypti require a warm climate, they typically do not live at altitudes above 1000 m, where the temperature is colder. These mosquitoes are associated with the living spaces of humans. They generally spend their entire lives in and around the houses where their eggs hatched."

https://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/dengue-transmission-22399758/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

It has been swept under the rug due to covid.  Here in Pattaya there is standing water everywhere you go and turn drought or no drought use to I see once a year crews going around spraying.

Months ago my son wasn't feeling well after two days I sense something not right so took him to private hospital blood test, results noted he had it.  As my son know by now his last name instant need to admit but in conversation doctor admission not much can do but ride it out so we look at each other. 

So my son decline said go home rest and take aspirin which we have plenty.  Said if it gets worse come back but told to come back next day for another check.  Next day again blood test this time they gave him a short 30 minute IV,  Doctor show results blood tests show improvement keep up the good work another 4-5 baht,  come back tomorrow again same routine result doing better 4-5 thousand baht told to come back again next day check again. After I spoke to my son how he was feeling said doing better no fever,  pain just itching we ended up skipping the next day appointment. But his case was reported a crew came by house to spray but my son noted he most likely got bit at work which has a large pond. Crew told him basically can't be bother.????

Sounds like that joke "If you take this medicine, you can be cured in a week. If you don't, it will take 7 days..."

I've had dengue twice. No picnic. I just rode it out

• Thumbs Up 2

Mossies like water and wet weather, they don;t like very hot, dry weather, so there's not much chance of them unleashing a biblical plague of dengue or anything else here in the Rub al Pattaya desert.

31 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Mossies like water and wet weather, they don;t like very hot, dry weather, so there's not much chance of them unleashing a biblical plague of dengue or anything else here in the Rub al Pattaya desert.

Dengue mossies not same as the run of the mill ones. 

Dengue infection is particularly spread by the bite of the Aedes aegypti mosquito, and they mostly surge during tropical climates, and cannot survive during winters.

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I've been hospitalized for dengue fever, there is no cure, all the doctors can do is to support the body's vital functions and hope for the best. I was woken every two hours and given a pill and blood was taken for the lab. It was the worst illness that I had ever had, after 4 days I was released from hospital but it took me 6 weeks to recover my normal vitality.

Did they tell you what dengue strain they had found in your blood.