If Not TAPHOPHOBIA: What’s Your Favorite Phobia?

My Phellow Phobics:

How many of you fear being buried alive?  There must be at least one or two members here who suffer with me concerning this rational fear.

fdM7ITDP1tXn6BqvXfygTVwxx4lmDXxRhc-VAWwSM4v3mCfChk9dwNMJjgqGslwI826NeTkL6Vvd28Oj8h80Bp22ZQZH8OnQIwzHmtUT-znX8AUr1eErMMjyhrhWbaU_UAo5m0NkZI5sA0CETadCMKE

xeN1CZHgsC16qU1OfUzQYNK9yaDCuVXLt26J6x_cL6WHrMFUlH2CL_o_8SWgqpIE-AX6zIA3ppLq9-Cux9i9rAKPTS2h65qByIDG2gCzrkvP9kZNN1IrMjuZ5wWD_b9BsRv2azmw-Zh4CQtCOpy744I

Reading the above paragraph from Wikipedia, fear of being buried alive is actually not completely irrational.  And this is what I have been telling people…For YEARS!

4plQKXPXCC8-aV2wTZRVhvwg9TY5PKluY35Snt4ikxotwTs6IA7MQoIsL2jlDNAu3J18cJmcFUa9aLZnhnjuXxGgj8HXUmw1QFpcC-7wZ3Qc5qBTviqFrzwqetoUaiJr2ppFgCKNrJ3wokilhg88-6U

rnZmpKkK5d1ANdJTVT-HEXQdqQ5UzYpj4Y8-Fii-3YoORk7A6WPbUnhu-LOMvM8vS_Z-zAb6muIdlGkGTVpNqIayutfsPNjh27kYTcfGGnLykidjgda5ikDYmVxgp0s-kD9eOaGb8bYnmSj4EINa3rw

Even Edgar Poe wrote about this problem, and maybe this is why Poe was so into drugs, etc.

It seems that many people from Philly suffer this fear, and who can blame them?

This is why, when I die, I just hope I have a cask of Amontillado buried with me:

9-42mKHBD-DGfqU-Hxck-9y-tRHjKtbIJDlt4sKaAVlhK1dSrM00NN68ylEmHFpbQZKQ6vNCs7NhyxOU8d4Us3WfLYDaCTCHuM5g7WOHCc-T6bKpck2snrX662IPBXWh1kKFZG6Tr8Kbbknak7MMADQ

Or, if not a cask, the equivalent volume of a cask, but stored in bottles, instead.

But we digress from the actual thrust of the OP:

What are your phobias?

How do you cope with them?

Wine?

Women?

Prescription meds?

Therapy using newer techniques, such as the use of Beta Blockers, etc.?

Do you have a phobia of sharing the name of your phobia with others?

And, even if you do not have a favorite phobia, then what phobia would you imagine might be the most unbearable phobia of all?

Now I’m getting scared.

Regards, and,...

The Horror!

The Horror!

Gamma

Horror?

Or...

Horrible Actor?

Bad Actor Above...

And, Good Band below....

I swear...the guy in this video doing the digging and the singing...

MUST be from Philly.

Philly was, and probably still is, the Land of Taphophobics, and not just the City of Brotherly Love...as everyone originally thought.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1

14 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Thaasophobia is more likely to get in this thread.

I had initially considered posting a list of potential phobias from which to choose...but...

I didn't wish to in any way influence the respondents.

• Love It 1

11 minutes ago, still kicking said:

What a stupid thread again from this poster a phobia is nothing to laugh about go and write a book!!!!!

image.png.c2b890113b338db05a0371570112ce07.png

Each to their own opinion.

Personally, I laugh at fear.

I even give fear the finger!

Remember what we all studied in Psych 101?

We are afraid because we run.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I don't know about you, but I got ASEANNOWPHOBIA 

I'm afraid to read threads 

That's why I posted this thread on a Sunday.

Sundays are good days for threads such as these.

You can kick back, and think about your phobias...

At your leisure.

Nobody has time for phobias, Mondays through Saturdays...

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I don't know about you, but I got ASEANNOWPHOBIA 

I'm afraid to read threads 

Well, I had 2 broken ankles and now I am scared of steps, and this is real I avoid any building where I have to use steps whether it is a shop or hotel just using a couple of steps is a nightmare for me.

34 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Well, I had 2 broken ankles and now I am scared of steps, and this is real I avoid any building where I have to use steps whether it is a shop or hotel just using a couple of steps is a nightmare for me.

I was stuck in an elevator several times.

I was even stuck in the SAME elevator three times, and once at 2AM with no service phone, and nobody in the building.

I had to wait several hours in pitch blackness, and that was in Taiwan, a place not known for great elevators.

After being stuck so many times in Taiwan elevators, I developed a phobia of elevators.

My only option was to take the stairs.

Sometimes I had to visit people on high floors.

That was no picnic, believe me.

I still don't like elevators,...

And, I still hate Taiwan.

Your mention of steps is somewhat similar to my experience about a decade ago.

I visited a factory and fractured a femur which was replaced at Taiwan University Hospital

Trying to negotiate steps is not something I like to do, and I avoid steps without railings.

Here in Thailand, many outside steps at entrances to buildings do not have railings.

IMHO, this is a serious oversight, and a design flaw.

I normally will not use stairs without railings.

Concerning the fear of steps: I would say that this is NOT a phobia, so much as it IS a rational fear of falling on stairs. I would say that this is a very common fear for those my age, particularly when negotiating stairs without railings, banisters, whatever...

If I fell on a long staircase, it might be curtains for me. And so I fear going down staircases, although I have no problem going up them. Falling while going up a staircase would not be much of a problem, comparatively.

My only strategy for going down staircases without banisters is to stay close to the wall, where I can at least run my hand along the wall to ensure that I maintain balance. Do I have a "stair phobia", just because I refuse to use long staircases? NO. I have a rational fear of stairs based on valid past experience.

I also have a fear of returning to a wheelchair, should I fracture my other femur...on another staircase.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, still kicking said:

Is this guy normal?

No. The answer is, "No, this guy is not normal. This guy is anything BUT normal".

At least, this is exactly what I was told when I went here:

image.png.e0de5a7411ec1cceb312724e3c68c7be.png

Normally, when I tell my friends I went to PENN, they all think I mean that I got some kind of "degree" from PENN.

But, NO.  Of course not!

When I say that I went to PENN, what I really mean is that I was an IN-PATIENT at the Perelman School of Medicine, Penn Psychiatry.

This is where I learned what I know about Psychology, for example.

It's very relaxing there at the Perelman School of Medicine, and I got to be good friends with all my nurses. I would take leisurely walks here, as in this photo of Perelman, but my walks were never unattended. The doctors would not let me out without a staff "minder".

image.png.997911b080910dfe9c8b8eba5eec8689.png

Anyone can go here, even without HIGH SAT scores.

My fellow-alumnus Leon was there, too, at PENN Psychiatry.

He was the looniest of them all.

He didn't have any phobias, but suffered many symptoms of Delusions of Grandeur, for example.

They also treated me for certain Specific Phobias, here:

image.png.e3f4fbb9fe4f89a79a2882be1e4d047b.png

The program was OK, but I had many relapses after treatment at PENN when I went to live in Taiwan.

There are just so many things to fear when one is living on Formosa.

It's no wonder they all put us under Martial Law for our own safety...

Sort of like being back at PENN Psychiatric Center, all over again.

Very little freedom, and nothing to do.

I am less bothered by my phobias now..

Except I have this nagging fear of my own death in the not too distant future.

I cannot say if this fear is irrational or rational.

On the good days, I believe that I will never die, and that my fear of death is completely irrational.

On other days, I feel that my fear of death within the next two or three decades might be justifiable.

The mind, especially to each individual, is not an open book.

There is always that slight smell of fear around.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, still kicking said:

But you're still kicking I see. ????

Running into ILIHYT (I learned, or heard it on YouTube) people. 

Gen Z. They have become a phobia. They scare me. Society is unraveling. 

The disintegration of civilization, due to social media. Tiktok getting more pervasive. 

All kidding aside, I don't think I have any phobias. 

• Love It 1

Heights, although, not consistent.

I was a chimney sweep, wise choice, although once on a roof, nothing bothered me.  Going from ladder to roof, scared the hell out of me.

I bungy jumped, going up & jumping, no problem.  Looked over the edge when up, and thought to myself, W T F, are you an idiot, and had to back up, as got dizzy.  The jump & rubber band effect was one of the best rushes, & laughing I've ever had.

Jumped out of a perfectly good plane (static line), straddled under the wing, 1 foot on the platform above the wheel, w/hand hold bar, looking 1000s of meters down, no problem, actually pretty damn cool.

Balconies & rooftops, not problem, but I can't look down over the edge of a balcony, if say 5+ stories high.  I actually get dizzy/vertigo feeling.  Bridges. cliffs, no matter how high, even if can see through, rickety bridges, and no problem.

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Heights, although, not consistent.

I was a chimney sweep, wise choice, although once on a roof, nothing bothered me.  Going from ladder to roof, scared the hell out of me.

Why would a chimney sweep climb onto a roof? they are normally swept from inside, when I was a kid our chimney sweep used to send me across the road to see the brush come out the top. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Why would a chimney sweep climb onto a roof? they are normally swept from inside, when I was a kid our chimney sweep used to send me across the road to see the brush come out the top. 

Sell & install caps on the chimney flues.  Nice money maker, 200% mark up.  Every flue should have one.

If a bend in the flue, then proper inspection should be done at both ends.