should we get cremated?

save the frogs

not sure if this has been discussed on here.

there's a thread now with complications connected to burial.

why do buddhists believe in cremation?

https://rfhr.com/buddhist-death-rituals-and-funeral-rites/#:~:text=Buddhists typically favor cremation because,donation of organs and autopsies.

Buddhists typically favor cremation because they believe it is an important way to release the soul from the physical form. Buddha himself was cremated, so his followers often follow his lead.

also due to beliefs in reincarnation.

https://www.funeralpartners.co.uk/help-advice/arranging-a-funeral/types-of-funerals/buddhist-funerals/

Due to their belief in reincarnation, cremation is seen as the preferred choice when a loved one dies. The physical body holds little significance to the Buddhist faith, it is merely a vessel for holding the soul. 

but even without the belief system, is it more practical? 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

"Buddhists typically favor cremation because they believe it is an important way to release the soul from the physical form" is incorrect.

That is a Hindu, not Buddhist,  belief.

Buddhism does not believe in the existence of an immortal soul, period. In fact that is a central tenet.

Still a nice contradiction if they all want to go to heaven with lavish donations to Buddhist temples from the very rich.

58 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

do ashes actually fertilize anything? 

Thai rice farmers seem to think they do, judging by the burnoffs every year. Minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, possibly magnesium.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, JayClay said:

That was my question, too. I can't imagine there being any nutrients in chared body ash.

For me the obvious way to give back to the earth would seem to be being burried straight into the ground without any kind of casket.

If the person died of a communicable disease, not such a good idea.

On 8/21/2023 at 12:19 AM, Lacessit said:

It's a personal choice, I prefer cremation. Taking up space in a cemetery with a headstone is not for me.

Who will remember most of us three generations from now?

I would much rather my ashes are employed for something useful, such as fertilizing a golf course.

GUR

23 hours ago, JayClay said:

That was my question, too. I can't imagine there being any nutrients in chared body ash.

For me the obvious way to give back to the earth would seem to be being burried straight into the ground without any kind of casket.

I believe the bugs get into those caskets after 1-2 years. 

23 hours ago, JayClay said:

Yeah, but 6' down does nothing for top soil.

• Like 1

It’s not like the old days when everyone lived in the same place and would visit cemeteries. Sure there are some, but for me and my family living all over the world, cremation is the best route. Everyone who wants a bit of your ashes can have some and they can honor you in the best way they know how, or remember you. I’d just want to be put out to sea like I did for my mother. You can always plant a tree with your ashes in it these days. No reason, in my opinion, to waste money and land on a dead body, but I guess religion will determine some burials. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Yep.

Carbon is good.

Ban burning 'cause of climate change.

I did a bit of research on that ... 

both are bad for the environment it seems, so they're coming up with new ways. 

there is actually a "green funeral company" in the UK. 

https://www.thegreenfuneralcompany.co.uk

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jul/09/greener-way-to-go-eco-friendly-way-dispose-of-body-burial-cremation

Burial uses too much land; cremation releases too much CO2. So what about composting our loved ones – or even dissolving them?

I was up in Kanchanaburi a few years back came across a building that housed the remains of Chinese people was told that some of these bodies had been stored for years waiting for burial apparently burial in Thailand is beyond most peoples wealth unless your one of the elites . When my time comes it will be in a ball of fire with my bones cast into the sea I did this for my friend last year everything included was no more than 25,000 baht it could of been cheaper but I decided to give him a good send off 

• Like 2

On 8/21/2023 at 12:19 AM, Lacessit said:

It's a personal choice, I prefer cremation. Taking up space in a cemetery with a headstone is not for me.

Who will remember most of us three generations from now?

I would much rather my ashes are employed for something useful, such as fertilizing a golf course.

Agree. I suppose, having been raised on the East US Coast had something to do with my outlook. I saw two cemeteries, with some graves dating back to the founding of the country “moved” in order to use the space for businesses. That and the “ashes to ashes, dust to dust” thingy. Add in my inclination toward Buddhist teachings and that is the way I go. Not important … if later genealogy work by family? My life is well recorded in the records kept on us in our time period.

Edited by wwest5829

34 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Yes, if incorporated into the soil.

Chemical composition of human ashes:

• Phosphate 47.5%
  • Calcium 25.3%
  • Sulfate (Sulphate) 11.00%
  • Potassium 3.69%
  • Sodium 1.12%
  • Chloride 1.00%
  • Silica 0.9%
  • Aluminum Oxide 0.72%

Interesting post.

What is your source of information please.

This from Wiki

Cremated remains are mostly dry calcium phosphates with some minor minerals, such as salts of sodium and potassium. Sulfur and most carbon are driven off as oxidized gases during the process, although about 1–4% of carbon remains[63] as carbonate.