Can I travel visa free to Thailand when leaving via land

Hello everyone,

Me and 2 friends will arrive on 28 oktober via plane in Bangkok. We will only stay 3 weeks in the country in total, and as Belgian citizens we do not need a Visa in this case. However, we are supposed to prove we will leave the country within 30 days if we want to travel Visa free. Most people simply show their return flight ticket, but we dont have this since we will continue travelling to Laos. Does anyone know what we have to do (do we need a Visa after all or how can we prove we will leave the country on time?)

Thanks everyone!!

Google "onwarticket.com"

That works approx 12usd 

Or cheapest throw away flight.

It's not immigration in Thailand that will be issue.

It's your airline at departure.

You mention Loas.

If you are flying Bangkok to LP then airline would  accept flight that as onward flight.

How long do you wish to stay first entry to Thailand?

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Max R said:

We will only stay 3 weeks in the country in total, and as Belgian citizens we do not need a Visa in this case.

Are you sure about not needing a visa? This is what the Thai embassy in Brussels says about needing a visa or not;

Visa on Arrival

Purpose of visit “Tourism/Leisure activities” (less than 15 days)” 

***If  your intended stay exceeds 15 days, you need to apply for a visa before travelling to Thailand.***

https://www.thaiembassy.be/2022/08/29/visa-on-arrival/?lang=en

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, bbko said:

Are you sure about not needing a visa?

the following countries who can enter Thailand, without a visa, for a stay of not more than 30 days for tourism purposes:

• Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahrain
  • Belgium

+ another 59 other lucky countries. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

the following countries who can enter Thailand, without a visa, for a stay of not more than 30 days for tourism purposes:

• Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahrain
  • Belgium

If I was the OP, I'd ask the Thai embassy in Brussels, seems their website might need updating.

If the OP is good for a 30 day visa on arrival, then go with onwardticket.com just incase the airlines ask to see a ticket.

• Like 1

Just now, bbko said:

If I was the OP, I'd ask the Thai embassy in Brussels, seems their website might need updating.

If the OP is good for a 30 day visa on arrival, then go with onwardticket.com just incase the airlines ask to see a ticket.

The OP is not eligible for a visa on arrival; he is eligible for a visa exemption (i.e. entering without a visa). Entering without a visa is often called a visa on arrival, but that is a misunderstanding. They are completely different.

To the OP: your airline may or may not allow you to board your flight without an onward flight ticket when you are not in possession of a Thai visa. If you have future flight reservation on the same airline, perhaps to return from Vietnam to your home country, the airline supervisor will commonly waive the onward flight requirement, but you should be prepared for a possible need to book a flight (or rental ticket as suggested by DrJack) at short notice at the airport.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Thai embassy in Brussels is confusing as hell, 555

Holders of Travel document issued by the Belgian government

is NOT entitled to enter Thailand under the Visa Exemption scheme.

***Belgian and Luxembourgish passport holders are eligible to travel to Thailand without a visa and stay no more than 30 days under the visa exemption scheme. ***

https://www.thaiembassy.be/2022/09/01/visa-exemption-scheme/?lang=en

Thanks DrJack54, BritTim and everyone else.

Just to be clear, I am NOT flying from Thailand to Laos, but I am crossing the border via land. In total I will stay 21 days in Thailand before crossing the border and since I am allowed to stay 30 days visa free I just need to be able to prove this I think. I was hoping that for example showing reservations of a hotel in Laos would be enough, but based on your answers this is probably not the case.

I will contact the embassy to see if I indeed need to show something to my airline in that case I will look for a rental ticket. However, if anyone else has had experience with visa exemptions and then leaving the country via land I would love to hear.

Cheers,

Max

1 hour ago, Max R said:

I will contact the embassy to see if I indeed need to show something to my airline in that case I will look for a rental ticket.

The Thai embassy is a terrible source of information on anything other than the services they directly provide themselves. If you want a reasonably reliable guide on the rules enforced by your airline, use the IATA Travel Centre guide to travellers. Note, however, that the airline supervisor may relax rules under some circumstances.

5 hours ago, Max R said:

In total I will stay 21 days in Thailand before crossing the border and since I am allowed to stay 30 days visa free I just need to be able to prove this I think.

Think you are missing the point.

To fly to Thailand without visa it's not Thai immigration that is the issue.

The airline at departure may want to see onward flight 

A bus ticket to Laos or whatever doesn't cut it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Max R said:

I will contact the embassy to see if I indeed need to show something to my airline in that case I will look for a rental ticket. However, if anyone else has had experience with visa exemptions and then leaving the country via land I would love to hear.

You're better off contacting the airline.  The rule is (was?) that you have to show hotel reservations, a flight out and some amount of cash at arrival immigration.  That's probably the only answer the Thai Embassy is allowed to dispense.  In about 20 arrivals (5 this year), I have never been asked for any of that at immigration. (US citizen)

However, I have been asked to show cash and an outbound itinerary by some airlines before they'll issue a boarding pass to Thailand.  Other airlines don't seem to care.

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

from $7
https://onwardflights.com/buy/

buy the ticket to Leave Thailand before the 30 day stay ends>
arrive FREE 30 day visa exempt>
easy

Careful. You want a valid PNR, not just a PDF, that doesnt say it gives you a real PNR like the $12 to $15 sites. I've had check-in girl check mine on her phone, this was traveling from BKK to HCMC when I didn't know how many days  I would stay exactly.

13 hours ago, Max R said:

Thanks DrJack54, BritTim and everyone else.

Just to be clear, I am NOT flying from Thailand to Laos, but I am crossing the border via land. In total I will stay 21 days in Thailand before crossing the border and since I am allowed to stay 30 days visa free I just need to be able to prove this I think. I was hoping that for example showing reservations of a hotel in Laos would be enough, but based on your answers this is probably not the case.

Cheers,

Max

There are a couple of points that you have not mentioned, firstly when you intend to return to Belgium and where from. If trying to travel  on a single ticket a red flag will be raised immediately.

The other point is which land crossing you intend to use.

If it it is Nong Khai/Vientiane then you would probably get away with a train booking from Bangkok to Nong Khai and hotel booking in Laos with appropriate dates. I would also suggest getting an e-visa for Laos. Airlines have to be satisfied there is a credible intent to leave Thailand within 30 days.

If you were thinking about one of the other border crossings credibility becomes difficult and the cheap air ticket may be the only option.

You can book train tickets here, the tickets can be collected from the office or sent to your hotel prior to departure.

https://12go.asia/en/travel/bangkok/nong-khai?date=2023-08-29&date2=

4 hours ago, circa02 said:

Careful. You want a valid PNR, not just a PDF, that doesnt say it gives you a real PNR like the $12 to $15 sites. I've had check-in girl check mine on her phone, this was traveling from BKK to HCMC when I didn't know how many days  I would stay exactly.

How can you verify yourself that the flight reservation confirmation or the e-ticket you have gives a real PNR (passenger name record)?

Directly on the airlines website under manage my booking usually. Surname and PNR all that's needed in 95% of times. Onwardticket often issued Vietnam Airlines business class and that can be verified under manage my booking - you can even select a specific seat iirc ???? Checkmytrip used to work too across most airlines, but it looks like its App only now and I cant be bothered installing it to check 

On 8/21/2023 at 9:47 AM, Max R said:

Hello everyone,

Me and 2 friends will arrive on 28 oktober via plane in Bangkok. We will only stay 3 weeks in the country in total, and as Belgian citizens we do not need a Visa in this case. However, we are supposed to prove we will leave the country within 30 days if we want to travel Visa free. Most people simply show their return flight ticket, but we dont have this since we will continue travelling to Laos. Does anyone know what we have to do (do we need a Visa after all or how can we prove we will leave the country on time?)

Thanks everyone!!

Is Belgium not on the 64 countries list that can go to Thailand for 45 days visa free until the end of 2023

9 minutes ago, Dickie Dee said:

Is Belgium not on the 64 countries list that can go to Thailand for 45 days visa free until the end of 2023

There are no countries whose nationals can currently get 45 days on entry with a visa exemption. That ended in March, in spite of rumours about it being extended until year end.