Are you comfortable with being treated like a walking ATM?

bob smith

24 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The term, 'Hiso' is commonly misused by farang. 

Most farang will never have any interaction with real Hisos, the ones that were educated abroad mostly. I often hear things like 'she is a Hiso and works....'. Hisos here don't have to work. Think of the British Aristocracy to get an understanding of Thai HiSo. 

I kind of agree...   exposure to 'hi-so' obviously depends on your situation. i.e. kids go to top international schools (Patana / Harrow)... its likely your child will become friends with the child of a family considered 'hi-so'...   those who own major hospital chains, those who have streets named after them (their family name), those who own major shopping mall chains, huge well known family businesses etc.. 

24 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What do you mean 'lowlifes'?

Many Thais feel proud to be Loso, like the working class in the UK. 

There is a degree of reverse snobbery amongst the hoi-palloi...   proud to be lo-so ? I'm not so sure, given an opportunity to be as wealthy as the 'wealthy' they'd chew off their own arm. 

That doesn't mean they forget their manners and 'salt of the earth' character, their pride comes from being able to deal with adversity with emotional strength, integrity and honesty. 

Edited by richard_smith237

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I kind of agree...   exposure to 'hi-so' obviously depend on your situation. i.e. kids go to top international schools (Patana / Harrow)... its likely your child will become friends with the child of a family considered 'hi-so'...   those who own major hospital chains, those who have streets named after them (their family name), those who own major shopping mall chains etc... 

There is a degree of reverse snobbery amongst the hoi-palloi...   proud to be lo-so ? I'm not so sure, given an opportunity to be as wealthy as the 'wealthy' they'd chew off their own arm. 

That doesn't mean they forget their manners and 'salt of the earth' character, their pride comes from being able to deal with adversity with emotional strength, integrity and honesty. 

Only 2 types of people. People who are genuine and weasels. Weasels gossip about others behind their back.

I dont care if rich or poor. Just dont be a weasel

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ravip said:

Quite agree with you. Many mix-up hiso with rich people. 

The REAL hiso's are more than that, and would not be attracted like flies to foreigners. 

This holds true in any country. 

Specifically attracted to foreigners, no, of course not...  but as welcoming to foreigners as anyone else when there is common ground, very much so. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:22 AM, bob smith said:

we all know that thais only give us the time of day if we are paying.

"We" and "us" who is this "us"? Is there a mouse in your pocket

I've had plenty of hookups and flings with attractive Thai girls, couple of Chinese too, who didn't want a penny or anything in return. They paid for their own travel costs as well.

Not everyone is an ugly old man, Bob. Some guys get attention from Thai women simply because Thai women are attracted to them. 

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I kind of agree...   exposure to 'hi-so' obviously depends on your situation. i.e. kids go to top international schools (Patana / Harrow)... its likely your child will become friends with the child of a family considered 'hi-so'...   those who own major hospital chains, those who have streets named after them (their family name), those who own major shopping mall chains, huge well known family businesses etc.. 

You are referring to the rich people  - Real Hiso's are different. Maybe,  even not super rich. 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The term, 'Hiso' is commonly misused by farang. 

Most farang will never have any interaction with real Hisos

It's not just farang that do this, some Thais I know use the term fairly loosely. So why are you singling out Whitey, you got the self-hate thing going on?

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ravip said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

You are referring to the rich people  - Real Hiso's are different. Maybe,  even not super rich. 

I know very well the demographic to which I'm referring... 

- If a family has a name of one of the main Bangkok Soi's named after it...  

- If a members of a family have 'titles'...

- If members of a family are Ambassador's to Thailand or married to...

- If a family owns one of Thailands largest malls for generations...

- If a family owns one of Bangkok's Major hospitals...

Not limited to the above, of course...    but not 'just rich'.... 

Can I guess you are living either in Pattaya, Phuket or Samui? There are alot of lovely and gracious people elsewhere. Perhaps you want to try moving around a bit. Opening your mind to the possibilities. 

Yes, if you get involved in a relationship with a woman much younger than yourself, from a family of modest means, there will be expectations. But, I got a different kind of expectation and demand from Western women back home. And it was significantly less honest. 

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I doubt it but learning Thai is a great way to get out and practise with people, making you feel a part of the community, rather than apart from the community.

How many expat Thai language forums/groups are there? 

Those forums only talk ABOUT passa Thai... 

Therefore, useless.