PM Prayut bids farewell to the Thai people

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

He claimed that, during his time in office, Thailand had developed in several areas, which will put Thailand among the world’s leading countries, thanks to the various projects initiated by his government.

He is absolutely full of it and I really hope karma repays him in full, despicable, delusional creature......

• Confused 1

The one thing that this man did which affected our lives here in Isaan was to decree that all villages should have internet connection. The difference that has made to people in our village is tremendous. Maybe it would have happened anyway but I wonder whether the phone companies would have come out to the small villages without some encouragement.

Otherwise I don't think he has been great for Thailand.  He joins the long list of Army officers who believed that they would be better at running a country than elected politicians. Think of Pakistan, Niger, Uganda, Argentina, Greece, Myanmar to name but a few. In many cases they take over to deny the people the change that they have voted for. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Deak Khun Prayut, thank you for staging the coup for removing Thaksin's and his little sister's greedy hands from Thailand.

Someone had to do it and you were brave enough to do it.

Thank you.

Enjoy your retirement. 

Now that I see what's replacing him, I wish Prayuth was sticking around longer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Deak Khun Prayut, thank you for staging the coup for removing Thaksin's and his little sister's greedy hands from Thailand.

Thank you.

Enjoy your retirement. 

One thing that critics of Thaksin seem to forget that he was elected. He, and subsequently his sister, were elected by the people.  It was the Will of the people, a phrase that the UK remembers only too well of recent history.

He may have had his failings (We got Johnson, for heaven's sake) but the electorate chose his party for the change that they offered.  A start an reducing the inequalities in this country, perhaps. Whatever, it was enough to spur the elites into action,    

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sniggie said:

One thing that critics of Thaksin seem to forget that he was elected. He, and subsequently his sister, were elected by the people.  It was the Will of the people, a phrase that the UK remembers only too well of recent history.

He may have had his failings (We got Johnson, for heaven's sake) but the electorate chose his party for the change that they offered.  A start an reducing the inequalities in this country, perhaps. Whatever, it was enough to spur the elites into action,    

His best mate in Cambodia just got re elected as he has for the past years as did Marcos and now his son and not forgetting Ida Amin - all fairly elected by the will of the people - as in, if you don't vote for us we Will have to sort that out very quickly. 

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

It's called local knowledge, long experience, a diverse Thai network, wide reading and respect for expert opinion (and a willingness to challenge one's own prejudice)

You should try it sometime though I appreciate the lazy, half thought out approach is easier when confirmation bias is in play.

Thanks for your reply.

Obviously I heard what you wrote not the first time. And I am sure this is part of what happened. But was it the most important part? Personally, I don't think so.

The peaceful coups could have only happened the way they happened because many people were against Thaksin and his little sister. At least in Bangkok lot of people were happy about the coups. People gave flowers and soft drink to the soldiers, no shot was fired.

And those were "normal people" in the streets. I was in the middle of it. All was peaceful.

If the majority of people (in Bangkok) would have opposed the coups, then people wouldn't have celebrated in the streets.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't think we can blame Prayut for the fact that Thaksin returned, and that people voted for PT.

At least Thaksin was arrested - for now.

But the way PT lied to the people I have hope many won't vote for them anymore next time.

Who set-up the senate and who are they answerable to, certainly not the people who voted for change. A few words from Prayut to the senate would have changed the outcome. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sniggie said:

There is that other so called first world nation where about 70 million people want to vote for a (by then maybe convicted) criminal. Personally, I think that shows how stupid people are all over the world.

Why would anybody vote for criminals? If you like certain politics, then look for an honest politician who wants to implement those policies - anywhere in the world.

"some of his government’s initiatives will be continued by the new administration, to lead Thailand to the “finish line.”

Well, define "finish line"; he walks off the stage after nine years. The constitution which he and his cronies wrote, stipulates a maximum of eight years - oh well - the Thai people did not go over the moon as it was, like everything else "mai pen rai". 

Interesting enough he replaced a government run by puppetmaster Thaksin Shinawatra with ........... a government run by puppet master Thaksin Shinawatra. 

Reminds me of the US which replaced the Taliban in Afghanistan - after 15 years of open war - with the Taliban. 

Well done, Uncle Too, you were a very attentive student of the Americans indeed! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is that other so called first world nation where about 70 million people want to vote for a (by then maybe convicted) criminal. Personally, I think that shows how stupid people are all over the world.

Why would anybody vote for criminals? If you like certain politics, then look for an honest politician who wants to implement those policies - anywhere in the world.

Well, let’s just look at Thailand and the convicted criminal that Prayut choose for his government ! Haven’t seen that before, oh sorry , forgot Columbia and maybe Ecuador ? Same kettle of fish.  How about the health minister and his idiotic choices and hatred of foreigners ? And while I’m at it, don’t forget the watch collector. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, geisha said:

Well, let’s just look at Thailand and the convicted criminal that Prayut choose for his government ! Haven’t seen that before, oh sorry , forgot Columbia and maybe Ecuador ? Same kettle of fish.  How about the health minister and his idiotic choices and hatred of foreigners ? And while I’m at it, don’t forget the watch collector. 

And the drug dealer - oops flour salesman

1 hour ago, geisha said:

How about the health minister and his idiotic choices and hatred of foreigners ?

Mr "Ay Falang" in charge of MI now - he went after us as Health Minister when he could only do it obliquely via insurance requirement for OA, putting up Govt Hospital prices for farangs* with retirees paying the most - he is the last person I would want Hapkarn submitting his 1979 act update suggestions to.

It is not going to get any easier for LT stayers here. Meanwhile everyone gets a VE/VoA maybe for 90 days, with no checks and 20k/[cancellable] return ticket.

I had a one hour meeting with him once - glad I didn't have clients with me.

The company he inherited from his daddy is SINO-Thai Engineering and Construction. SINO as in CHINESE.

Sino as a prefix generally refers to: China · Greater China · Chinese people · Two Chinas · Culture of China

*I don't feel we should benefit from subsidisation of prices. 

Well, let's see.  Which of his 'initiatives' should we keep?    I guess my favorite would be using water hoses to spray water into the air to wash the pollution out of the sky.  Absolutely brilliant.  Really beyond brilliant, when you think of it.  Let's definitely keep that one.  Meanwhile, buh bye bye.

On 8/28/2023 at 1:58 PM, MrMojoRisin said:

Who is Prayuth handing the leadership of Thailand over to?

Wouldn’t be the “divisive and corrupt” Thaksin clan would it?

Kind of makes the entire 9 year effort a worthless waste of time eh?

Not at all. Progressive lefty western puppets were held in check for those nine years, and won't be allowed to further their western agenda for the next nine either. Thailand uses an incremental approach to rein in problems. 

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2023 at 2:17 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thank you.

Enjoy your retirement. 

Prayut did not remove anyone. Yingluck quickly put herself in caretaker mode and called for new elections, as any decent democratic government should do when its legitimacy is seriously challenged.

That was before the coup.

What he did was to deprive people from the right to elect a government of their choice.

Edited by candide

On 8/28/2023 at 9:42 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it worse than having incompetent criminals imposing themselves by force?

41 minutes ago, candide said:

Is it worse than having incompetent criminals imposing themselves by force?

Actually, yes, it is worse.

If some bad and powerful people are strong enough to get to the top, then those, relative few, people did that.

If there are >70,000,000 people who vote for a maniac, even if they could vote for others, then those millions of people are to blame.