Thaksin may be released on October 13th as his prison status becomes a growing political target

webfact

18 minutes ago, bignok said:

Nor should he be. Never had a fair trial

He is and was a corrupt crook, and clearly was shown as such in the cases and verdicts against him.

He used his tenure as PM to enrich himself, his family and those around him -- until finally fleeing the country to escape the consequences of his crimes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

He is and was a corrupt crook, and clearly was shown as such in the cases and verdicts against him.

He used his tenure as PM to enrich himself, his family and those around him -- until finally fleeing the country to escape the consequences of his crimes.

Other countries welcomed him.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Danny Australia said:

I might be swimming against the current here, as most (farangs) are against Thaksin, but I believe he deserves to be released.

He was removed from power through an illegal method (a coup), forced into exile for 16 years, had his assets confiscated, and his allies and even his own family were targeted.

He may have been involved in corruption; I am not sure, but he was unlikely to receive a fair trial under a military junta.

Many Thai people like him and have consistently voted for any party connected to him, and that should also be considered. His release could contribute to the reconciliation process and bring closure to this ongoing saga, allowing the current government to address the real issues facing the country.

Most farangs are clueless. I wouldnt listen to them. They live in bubbles. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's not really a surprise that the criminal won't spend too much time in jail.

If he wouldn't have a deal, he wouldn't have returned to Thailand.

I think the big question for the future is if Thaksin will be quiet and play with his grandchildren or if he will be even more active in politics than he was already when he was officially not involved.

And will PT include him on stage as the all-knowing leader?

Thaksin's downfall was his big mouth together with his criminal behavior. Will he do more of the same? Will he continue to behave like he is above the law? If yes, then another crisis for Thailand won't be far.

I hope the best, but I would be very surprised if he would just shut up.

"Thaksin's downfall was his big mouth ..."

Seems familiar to your attitude ,  

Watch out for the defamation-trap ????

As all his pardon has a reason ..., and coming from very high ????

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, off road pat said:

Hm,..."Nor should he be. Never had a fair trial",..!?!? ...Niter did the +/- 3000 victims of Thaksin's war on drugs !?!?

Yes that is one thing not to be forgotten and wasn't there also a little incident near a place called Tak Bai?

Thaksin was pm at that time and he failed to take responsibility and guess who the man in charge of the army was?

Some day in the future this will come up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Whether or not his sentencing was a political move by the opposition,  It is time to bury the hatches and let Thailand returns to happy days again.

The government needs all the help it can get to restore the economy and improve the life of all Thai people. and May be Thaksin can help.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ralphbenno said:

Whether or not his sentencing was a political move by the opposition,  It is time to bury the hatches and let Thailand returns to happy days again.

The government needs all the help it can get to restore the economy and improve the life of all Thai people. and May be Thaksin can help.

The Government has tried very hard to keep the people unhappy,the

way they handled the latest"election"is clear proof of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Please help me. I don't understand how bats are coming here into? And why bats got a channel? Where?? I'm very confused. Enlighten me! ????

In the US there was a show Batman for kids. At the end of the show they have a saying..... just seeing who was my age and country for they would get it.

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

He was already a billionaire before he became PM. He had no need to use his position to get richer.

With people like Thaksin, enough is never enough. He must have felt like he was owed or entitled to the fruits of his various corruptions, and getting away with those was, for him, winning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2023 at 10:09 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's not really a surprise that the criminal won't spend too much time in jail.

If he wouldn't have a deal, he wouldn't have returned to Thailand.

I think the big question for the future is if Thaksin will be quiet and play with his grandchildren or if he will be even more active in politics than he was already when he was officially not involved.

And will PT include him on stage as the all-knowing leader?

Thaksin's downfall was his big mouth together with his criminal behavior. Will he do more of the same? Will he continue to behave like he is above the law? If yes, then another crisis for Thailand won't be far.

I hope the best, but I would be very surprised if he would just shut up.

Thaksin is not a criminal. He was an elected Prime Minister and moved from power by criminals of the military junta. They should be put in prison, not Thaksin.

Edited by AloisAmrein
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bignok said:

Because he's not a crook.

Interesting take on his business dealings and his criminal actions while in power.  Of course the coup was 'illegal', his court proceedings a foregone conclusion . . . 

Of course he was/is a crook and just because 'others do it too' is a simplistic view on things. 

Well, let's hope this calms Thai waters but we all know it won't

Edited by Sing_Sling

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

He was already a billionaire before he became PM. He had no need to use his position to get richer.

Not to mention, nearly every Thai uses their position to enrich themselves. 

Yes.

But Greed is good.

It's one of the cornerstones of Thai society. :giggle:

Edited by quake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Not to mention, nearly every Thai uses their position to enrich themselves. 

Lol, almost Thai logic:

1. Thaksin has no need to enrich himself.

2. All Thai do.

I don't know how people who do understand Thaksin are coping, but is seems those who don't can't.

• Haha 1