A stark reminder of Thai "hospitality"

mike111

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Foreigners can buy and own houses in Thailand, also.  Foreigners can get work in Thailand, also.

"A foreigner can ... run for president".

Since when can foreigners run for POTUS?

That was a joke, although it's getting there. Obama was from Hawaii I believe, just not from the contiguous states. My house is actually mine, though in my ex's name. You can't entirely own the house and land it's on. We can work in some occupations here, but it's not the same as what's available for foreigners in the US, was my point.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

Where the batteries by the till ?

Where the batteries next to the condoms in front and to the left hand side of the till, near the door way entrance ?

I think they had a large advertising board up in front of them so I didn't see them.

The second member of staff understood the question no issues, no complaints from me. 

The first member of staff was simply not very sharp and didn't catch my Thai.

Battery is the same word in English and Thai BTW !!!... (just different intonation).

Sometimes people are just switched off...   not an issue. No need to get upset or complain etc they work long hours and get tired.

It's not the first time when talking with Thai's in Thai and it takes a moment for them to realise I'm not talking in English - Some folk are smarter / sharper than others and that is evident in many different interactions.

Some guys get upset so easily and very minor simple stuff - it could be argued they are not very smart or sharp if allowing such minor stuff to rub them up the wrong way.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Very odd thread... 

When it comes to customer service experience encounters in Thailand certainly differ from the treatment many of us are familiar with in the West.

However, in this example of the Op the expectations are plain strange. 

Its like buying a packet of crisps or a can of coke from a corner shop and the next day trying to return the item.

Sometimes the Westerners telling these tales are just outright 'odd'... 

Got to agree with every word of that.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you have any idea how your comments highlight that it is you who is the source of any such problem you face.

7-11 staff arrogant, verbally abusive, uneducated and downright rude with no clue how to act when asked a simple question ??? REALLY ????   

OF course you are asking in perfect Thai right... because you are not arrogant, uneducated and downright rude enough to ask in English and expect a perfect response, correct ???

Spot on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:
15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another foreigner coming into the store and expecting to be understood

yes .... the nerve of some falang is beyond belief Richard,  fancy expecting an employee in a 7-11 shop to understand a scrap of English.      Lol

There it is... The arrogance !!!....     no wonder your attitudes towards Thai's is so negative (as exampled on other threads too)...  You reap what you sow, if you are not respectful of those with whom you interact, you will not receive a respectful response...  

... 'sometimes they'll just walk away, or waves the hands without an answer.'......    I wonder what causes that ???... could it be  yet 'Another arrogant Farang'   ??

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

That was a joke, although it's getting there. Obama was from Hawaii I believe, just not from the contiguous states. My house is actually mine, though in my ex's name. You can't entirely own the house and land it's on. We can work in some occupations here, but it's not the same as what's available for foreigners in the US, was my point.

Are you saying that the USA and Thailand have different rules and laws ?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There it is... The arrogance !!!....     no wonder your attitudes towards Thai's is so negative (as exampled on other threads too)...  You reap what you sow, if you are not respectful of those with whom you interact, you will not receive a respectful response...  

... 'sometimes they'll just walk away, or waves the hands without an answer.'......    I wonder what causes that ???... could it be  yet 'Another arrogant Farang'   ??

so it's arrogant to ask a question to a staff member politely?  

seems that what your saying,    oh and BTW I am respectful and polite and liked by my 7-11 staff, i always nod my head with a thank you etc ....    haha

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes .... the nerve of some falang is beyond belief Richard,  fancy expecting an employee in a 7-11 shop to understand a scrap of English.      Lol

If Thais can speak English, they usually get jobs other than being 7/11 staff .

Also some staff that can speak a bit of English are too embarrassed to speak in in front of the other staff , just incase the guy asks her out for a drink after work

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If Thais can speak English, they usually get jobs other than being 7/11 staff .

Also some staff that can speak a bit of English are too embarrassed to speak in in front of the other staff , just incase the guy asks her out for a drink after work

aha ....  I agree

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Are you saying that the USA and Thailand have different rules and laws ?

No, a lot of the laws are basically the same. In the US, people are held accountable for the laws. Thailand is very harsh on drug abuse, which is a good thing. The lack of sense is seen withing family law, where many if not all locals aren't paying child support, being held accountable for the children the men make. Enforcement of traffic laws here is extremely lacking, and is why so many die daily here. Some people can't afford helmets, licenses and the like but drive like there's no tomorrow. When you make someone pay money, is when they learn to obey the laws, and it will save lives.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

No, it's a here problem. I lived in the US for 62 years, and didn't have any of this kind of problem. I bought my house, I owned it. I wanted to get a job, I could anytime. A foreigner can go to the US and get work, buy land and run for president.  I drove there from age 16 to 62, only had a couple of accidents, and only the first was my fault. Here, up to 75 die daily on the roads, because , unlike in the states, the laws aren't enforced. Schools taught you, and if you didn't care to learn, you failed, and not promoted until you went to summer school or repeated that grade. You had hobbies, you have 50 states to pursue them. I always treated any woman I was with with love, loyalty and respect. I did that here, and was lied to, abused and had my daughter kidnapped and held until I filed for divorce. In America, she would be jailed and only had  supervised visitation. I paid and received child support. Only farangs pay child support here. You don't pay, you go to jail like my ex did.

1. You moved to Thailand expecting it to be the same as the United States of Whatever ?

2. 2022 road deaths per day - 40.

3. your choice not to have hobbies in Thailand I have numerous outside of the my average 60hr work week making someone else rich.

4. Women don't lie in the United States of Whatever ?

5. Children dont get kidnapped in the United States of Whatever ?

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

7/11 return policy:

Returns & Exchanges Guidance

Your item must be in its original unused condition to be returned, unless there is a manufacturer defect. You must return the item within 30 days of your purchase. Discounted sale items and gift cards are final and cannot be returned or exchanged.

To determine if you are eligible for a return, follow the steps below:

1. Email [email protected] with your Order Number and specify which product you would like to return. We will get back to you as soon as possible with return instructions.

2. Once the return has been received by our warehouse, a refund will be issued.

If you're looking to exchange an item, follow the steps above and place a brand new order!

*Some items may not be eligible for returns or exchanges. Items stated as final sale are unable to be returned or exchanged.

7/11 return policy in America. There I fixed it for you as you copied from the US site. It has absolutely nothing to do with Thailand.

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I know many Thai's that speak fluent English... they understand very little though.

You are absolutely spot on .....  they learn English but don't know what all the words actually mean.  Some sentences baffle them.

Edited by steven100

9 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

1. You moved to Thailand expecting it to be the same as the United States of Whatever ?

2. 2022 road deaths per day - 40.

3. your choice not to have hobbies in Thailand I have numerous outside of the my average 60hr work week making someone else rich.

4. Women don't lie in the United States of Whatever ?

5. Children dont get kidnapped in the United States of Whatever ?

I moved to Thailand to be near my now ex and our daughter. I tried to convince her to move to the US, where she and my daughter would have a better life. She said she wanted to be close to her family, a mixture of liars, mentally ill narcissists and mostly hidden people she herself said she doesn't like, especially her mother.                                                                                                                    Daily road deaths have hovered near 65 yearly. You don't see statistics based on what people are brought to hospitals, only those that die at the scene.                                                                                                                                                                                                I can't choose to hunt here as there isn't any allowed. The fishing is only good at very few reservoirs which require a boat and knowledge of the reservoir, and private lakes which aren't easily accessible. There are only rarely a good musical band playing here and none I have seen lately, whereas in the states it's weekly. especially in Texas.                                                                                         Of course women lie, cheat and are greedy everywhere, but the greed is much higher here as women in the the US are more likely to be independent.                                                                                                                                                                                                    Yes, children get kidnapped everywhere ,especially,like my case, by parents, but they are held accountable if they do in the US. Human trafficking here is huge, and it's not a place I can trust my daughter to live.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

No, a lot of the laws are basically the same. In the US, people are held accountable for the laws. Thailand is very harsh on drug abuse, which is a good thing. The lack of sense is seen withing family law, where many if not all locals aren't paying child support, being held accountable for the children the men make. Enforcement of traffic laws here is extremely lacking, and is why so many die daily here. Some people can't afford helmets, licenses and the like but drive like there's no tomorrow. When you make someone pay money, is when they learn to obey the laws, and it will save lives.

Most foreigners in Thailand drive like idiots even when they can afford helmets. Stupid is as stupid does.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Keep Right said:

Most foreigners in Thailand drive like idiots even when they can afford helmets. Stupid is as stupid does.

I've been here 6 years, and daily on the roads both in the rural area I live and in major cities. I have never seen farangs drive like idiots as you say. I've seen hundreds on scooters and motorcycles, driving normally, at the speed limits or just above, just like at home. I have seen thousands of times where locals have cut me off, on scooters, with no helmets, and many times no working lights. More times than I can count, passing me on the right side, when I was doing the speed limit, or slightly above, going into oncoming traffic instead of passing me on the left side, where no one else was. Weaving in and out of stopped traffic, on scooters, to get ahead. I once counted, on a short trip from my village to the nearest city, which is 30 KM, people breaking various laws, on both scooters and cars, which amounted to 45 in a drive that took 20 minutes.  I have driven millions of miles in my life, in many states and a few countries, and have never seen the driving I have seen here, and the stats prove that to anyone.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Daily road deaths have hovered near 65 yearly. You don't see statistics based on what people are brought to hospitals, only those that die at the scene.                                                                                                                                                     

So the numbers published yearly by the Thailand Road Accidents Data Centre are bogus ?

Where do you get our numbers from, Heresy perhaps ?