It isn't the end of the world, if you have to move to a nearby country in SEA. See the positive things!

Shop mak

10 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

'I thought they just want to see you have an acceptable balance in your account to provide for yourself.' 

Well that was the original idea but the latest rules knocked that on the head. Let the balance drop below 400k during the year and IO can refuse to renew your extension. 

Philippines has very easy immig rules. You can actually enter on a visa-free 30 day, (or a 60 day tourist visa) extend it every 2 to 6 months (for a fee) upto 3 years. Leave for one day and start again, I know several who are doing this. 

Yes happily that is still possible although lots of people doing that had problems during the pandemic as they couldn't reenter.

I would still suggest going for a real visa there if moving there permanently. For basic things like opening bank accounts. etc. 

I think whatever may happen, those of us on a retirement visa will be grandfathered in. However if we're not and I can't make the qualifications, I think I'd go back to the US and work part time.

I've been to all the other places mentioned, and while they are fun to visit, i wouldn't want to live in any of them.

Edited by Trippy
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Trippy said:

I think whatever may happen, those of us on a retirement visa will be grandfathered in. However if we're not and I can't make the qualifications, I think I'd go back to the US and work part time.

I've been to all the other places mentioned, and while they are fun to visit, i wouldn't want to live in any of them.

Yeah, but you'd rule out Latin America?

Mexico was the first place I wanted to move to but back then I couldn't qualify for a retirement visa there.

Now I can (by investment accounts) which depending on current levels could give me freakin' PERMANENT RESIDENCE possibly instantly and if not, in five years.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Mexico was the first place I wanted to move to but back then I couldn't qualify for a retirement visa there.

Now I can (by investment accounts) which depending on current levels could give me freakin' PERMANENT RESIDENCE possibly instantly and if not, in five years.

You can get Mexican citizenship and a second passport pretty easily in Mexico. Many in the USA have done it and just go in and out as they please.

Like I said before though it’s more expensive then Thailand living there, if you go cheap it gets dangerous.

Edited by JimTripper

17 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

You can get Mexican citizenship and a second passport pretty easily in Mexico. Many in the USA have done it and just go in and out as they please.

Like I said before though it’s more expensive then Thailand living there, if you go cheap it gets dangerous.

Permanent residence is pretty much as good as citizenship in Mexico.

It is getting more expensive. That is true.

I don't agree cheaper needs to be dangerous there though.

It does usually mean learning some Spanish and choosing a place less on the overly travelled expat circuit. Happily, Mexico is a large country and there are many such options still available there.

Or you could lower your standards and live in a small place in a less central area in an expat haven. 

Where exactly to live in Mexico as an expat is kind of the million dollar question. There is never ending controversy on the topic.

Similarly the Philippines as there are so many diverse options there.

BTW, Mexico is about four times larger than Thailand. Many people (including me in the past) are fooled to think it's a smallish country because it's shrunken on globe maps.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Rumor is Retirement Visa 800K balance or monthly income increase next.

Likely also criminal record check IMO. Maybe medical insurance also.

We now have Anutin as Interior Minister, who as Health Minister pushed through insurance on OA visas and Government hospitals charging farangs more and specifically retirees the most. He didn't call us AY Farang because he likes us. I had a one hour meet with him once. His company is SINO Thai Engineering and Construction.

Doesn't bode well.

Edited by mokwit
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No, I don't think so. I don't need to live outside the US just for the sake of living somewhere else. I'm in Thailand because I like the Thai people, and I feel safe here. 

Never really felt 100% safe in Mexico, and my spanish is next to nothing. 

Also, I feel like I'm too old to start over again in a new place, and be a greenhorn. 

Besides, I still have family and friends in the US, who would welcome me back with open arms.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Likely also criminal record check IMO. Maybe medical insurance also.

We now have Anutin as Interior Minister, who as Health Minister pushed through insurance on OA visas and Government hospitals charging farangs more and specifically retirees the most. He didn't call us AY Farang because he likes us. I had a one hour meet with him once. His company is SINO Thai Engineering and Construction.

Doesn't bode well.

I recall on my original request for the OA Visa in the U.S., they required health, police and financial statement. I found that justifiable and reasonable. Then they changed the requirements to include health insurance (should have “grandfathered in those who met the requirements at the time they were admitted IMHO). Why change the requirements for those already here … unless you are purposely encouraging them to leave in opposition to increasing the number of visitors to Thailand?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

Why change the requirements for those already here … unless you are purposely encouraging them to leave in opposition to increasing the number of visitors to Thailand?

The authorities have slowly but surely closed off ways of staying in Thailand LT/more than a year or so, all that is left is those where the stay (one year) is enshrined in the 1979 act.

If they wanted us here LT why close ff all ways they can of staying here LT?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Foxx said:

Can't be that because you're not allowed to spend the money.  More like a scheme to prop up Thai banks, or a scheme based upon a general loathing of foreigners.

If they were concerned about foreigners having sufficient wealth to sustain themselves here they'd look at the person's global investments.

I particularly loathe the 800K in the bank because it's money wasting away.  It doesn't even come close to matching inflation, let alone making the sort of gains I could get through stock market investments.

Yeah it's awful.

It helps the banks but doesn't help Thai businesses. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

I have the Elite Visa. I'm not worried about having to leave.

OK.

Perhaps this isn't a problem for you but what IF comprehensive health insurance is added to the visa requirements for that? I'm sure there is nothing in the contract to say that isn't possible as after all that would be an immigration decision and they can do anything they want. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 12:08 PM, Shop mak said:

Vietnam. Utube and the Net are full of reports from Vietnam expats, praising the many new apartment condos for rent there. Majority of new units seems fully equipped with kitchen, fast internet, large screen tv, microwave, even a laundry machine. For 300-500$ per month.

Example of apartments condos in Vietnam.

https://www.fazwaz.vn/condo-for-rent/vietnam

Another option to plan B.

Vietnam doesn't even have a retirement visa, so yes, you wouldn't need to worry about an increase of financial requirements. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Easy to blow a big hole in your not the end of the world story. Here you only point your topic towards single retirees. There are many, that already have problems reaching todays minimum income level. At least if you read the complaints on this forum for a couple of years.

There are many of those who are married, have children, bought car and motorbikes as well as bought land and built a house. All for the reason to live in Thailand with the family in style and comfort.

The wife don´t want to sell, as she was never told there will be any problems. Neither does she want to relocate and nor will the children in school. Here we are talking about a lot of people living in Thailand, and you just start a topic that it´s not the end of the world. What do you think these people have to say about that?

Own fault. People over 55 should not have kids.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

You started trolling me. Bye.

Now we start with the trolling word again. Read what it is before you use it.

FYI, you just have to scroll up and check, you will see that you started replying to me post, so the answer is that you started and I have replied.