Father Releases Dashcam Video of Tragic Hit-and-Run Involving Daughter, Questions Justice

webfact

11 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Is 14 the legal age to drive a scooter?

Was she wearing a helmet?

NO and Not likely.

Strange place on the road for the motorbike to be hit

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1

First rule riding on Thai Road's always expect theUnexpected. Just because your in the right doesnt mean other rd users are the same as you. Always give it a few seconds to make a turn from lights you never know a few seconds could save your life. Sadly this young girl has paid the price for no experiance of basic riding skills, No helmet,  presuming she is in the right not realising other rd users might jump a light, lack of basic training and no licence.  Yes the car driver is at fault too so its a 50-50 accident both to blame.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Big Bert said:

Gai's family continues to be concerned that the responsible driver may evade accountability.

While the family will evade accountability for letting a 14 yo out on the road with no licence.

If it were me, I don't think I could live with myself.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

First rule riding on Thai Road's always expect theUnexpected. Just because your in the right doesnt mean other rd users are the same as you. Always give it a few seconds to make a turn from lights you never know a few seconds could save your life. Sadly this young girl has paid the price for no experiance of basic riding skills, No helmet,  presuming she is in the right not realising other rd users might jump a light, lack of basic training and no licence.  Yes the car driver is at fault too so its a 50-50 accident both to blame.

I fail to see how it's 50/50.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I fail to see how it's 50/50.

She should have looked to her right and saw the car coming and waited, he should have not sped through on a red stop signal. Do you think it's his fault 100%?

Edited by BarraMarra
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

She should have looked to her right and saw the car coming and waited, he should have not sped through on a red stop signal. Do you think it's his fault 100%?

Actually, being in Thailand, she should have looked not just to the right but in both directions!

Even though it supposedly carries a 2,500 THB fine I still see many folks driving in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

Sadly Hotchilli you are correct. How can a person 14 years be experienced on road safety and traffic rules and general care and attention to other road users? Not even old enough to hold a license or take any kind of lessons.

Edited by BarraMarra
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never assume that just because the light turned green it is safe to proceed.

The only days I don't see red lights being run are the days I stay home all day.

That truck driver beside her must have seen the car coming because he didn't budge until after the accident.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Responsible driver? What about responsible parents? How about their failure to ensure their underage-for-riding-a-bike daughter wasn't riding a motorcycle in a busy location - or anywhere, come to that? How about their responsibility in ensuring she complied with the law re. a proper helmet? The parents should be prosecuted alongside the car driver.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Another confusing "news" item, no link to video, and from the picture, it looks like it wasn't the car that was going through a red light!

The light controlling the car's direction of travel is not visible in the photo....EDIT: but it is in the video, you're right.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

The accident and subsequent injuries are 100 % the car drivers fault. Clearly running the red light and slamming into the bike . The girl and her family hold some responsibilities but that is a separate matter. It could have easily been the truck behind the bike getting hit.. The father or mother or both should be criminally cited for neglect by allowing her to drive at that age. The girl l, if she lives should get cited for driving without a permit. The accident would not have happened to the girl if she had not been there. But the way the driver in the car was driving an accident at that intersection was inevitable. So that driver should take 100% blame for it. 

Your not getting it thesetat. Yes, the driver was at fault but she should have looked to see if any vehicles were coming from her right she presumed it was okay because the light went green. I Can also say IF she was wearing a helmet her head injuries may have been less severe but if those 2 little letters ( IF ) were in place.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

In the video above (thank you bbko) you can clearly see at exactly 40 seconds, the light is RED when the car is trying to drive through the intersection!

But it is always easy to blame the victim and not the red light runner.

• Thanks 1