Odd new protocol at Jomtien IO for Extension of stay

21 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

That’s bizarre. We didn’t talk to a single soul at IO. Just took a photo and left. All the other paperwork was done at the bank branch. Just another layer of useless bureaucracy.

I did my own extension of stay at Jomtien on 8 September. The immigration officer took my photo on his mobile, as another IO did last year & the year before that. So it's not new but I don't know what it's for.

53 minutes ago, BenStark said:

How strange that I never have an issue, extending my permission to stay without using an agent for 14 years now.

Even during Covid it was not a problem.

Make an appointment online, complete all the documents on my PC, which takes minutes, as they are all saved already and have to change also a few details.

Get the document from the bank on the day of the application, or get it up to a week upfront, and just do a small withdrawal or deposit on the day.

Then go to the immigration office with my appointment printed, and pass the entire queue.

Maybe I also should start an agent business and collect 10K for an hour work

I do all my own paperwork and submissions at the Immigration office in the province where I now reside.  The difference between this office and Chiang Mai back when I left CM was that Chiang Mai Immigration resembled a 19th Century Chicago Stock Yard back in Wild Bill Hickhock's days.

ChicagoStockYards.thumb.jpeg.5271480535441bd0733fa5c61d0c7a9e.jpeg

Edited by connda
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

Odd new protocol at Jomtien IO for Extension of stay.

Give it time.  Soon you'll be required to juggle a coconut, a banana, and a durian while hopping up-and-down on one foot and singing Chaat Thai in proper Bangkok Thai while the bank manager unicycles around you with a monkey on his shoulder holding a copy of today's newspaper  - all filmed in front of the sign on the front of the bank, of course 
:thumbsup:????????

Love the sarcasm, but don't give then ideas?????

57 minutes ago, BenStark said:

How strange that I never have an issue, extending my permission to stay without using an agent for 14 years now.

Even during Covid it was not a problem.

Make an appointment online, complete all the documents on my PC, which takes minutes, as they are all saved already and have to change also a few details.

Get the document from the bank on the day of the application, or get it up to a week upfront, and just do a small withdrawal or deposit on the day.

Then go to the immigration office with my appointment printed, and pass the entire queue.

Maybe I also should start an agent business and collect 10K for an hour work

I am going out on a limb here, but you need to be Thai? I am guessing you are not?

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

If you had to go to the IO anyway why not just do the extension yourself. Last time took me all of 15 minutes.

Last time I did my extension myself 2 years ago, I had to join the queue which stretched all the way to the beach! It took 6 hours to get inside, standing in blazing sunshine and was then told to come back the next day! So, yes, I use an agent now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

Last time I did my extension myself 2 years ago, I had to join the queue which stretched all the way to the beach! It took 6 hours to get inside, standing in blazing sunshine and was then told to come back the next day! So, yes, I use an agent now!

What a load of bs that queue reached the beach. Either way that's no longer the case as new air-con building in car park means no queues at all anymore. But you keep living the dream that agents are only way to go ????

Edited by Pattaya57

4 minutes ago, paulikens said:

There are some of us who don't just have 800k to hand.  Quite funny really cuz there seems to be just as many falangs as thais that think all falangs are loaded.  No doubt someone will now comment that 800k isn't a lot.  Well in my world it is. 

Yeah but if you don't meet those requirements, it could be argued that you don't qualify and should retire elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

You could have made an online appointment, like i do,  then you pass the whole queue

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Caldera said:

Yeah but if you don't meet those requirements, it could be argued that you don't qualify and should retire elsewhere. 

That may be true but my point was the amount of falangs that are surprised that some falangs don't have 800k.  We aren't all loaded, contrary to what the Thais might say.   

36 minutes ago, paulikens said:

That may be true but my point was the amount of falangs that are surprised that some falangs don't have 800k.  We aren't all loaded, contrary to what the Thais might say.   

Yes (I realize that's true), but the question remains, why should the Thais allow someone who isn't "loaded" (by their standards anyway) to retire in their country? Those minimum requirements were put in place for a reason. 

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2023 at 12:33 PM, Felton Jarvis said:

Did my extension of stay today in Jomtien. After a trip to the bank, my agent took me to Jomtien IO where he photographed me standing

in front of the sign at the building entrance. Is this another manifestation of the Big Joke era at RTP??   What possible function could this

serve?

He thought you were handsum man and wanted your photo for some "after-evening" activities when he was all alone.

• Haha 1

Happened with me too a couple of years running when Darren at Key Visa was handling my retirement ext. A Thai from Jomtien Imm came to Darren's office to get me in his car, took me to the Imm office, took my photo, then drove me back to Darren's office. 

On 9/17/2023 at 1:18 AM, Maestro said:

Where is PT?

On 9/17/2023 at 4:03 AM, BritTim said:

Almost certainly, this is Phatum Thani. However, it really would be best when posting if people do not use abbreviations that are not universally recognised.

My mistake I am sorry yes it is Pathum Thani