Weighing passengers to become standard for Bangkok Airways

webfact

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Maybe they also start measuring our leg length and issue better seats to those who are tall?

The aim is to cram even more seats into cattle class and leave more room for 1st with shower and bed......, after all who needs to have more than his arse width to sit for 12 hours or more. And of course to charge overweight passengers up to double the ticket price. If you have ever sat next to an obese person in these "modern" slimmed planes in cattle class you know what I mean and there is a certain sense in that. Nevertheless the outcry will be enormous and die down as all outcries do. In the end it will "only" concern a minority and who "gives a shxx" anyway, thinking is overrated.............By the way: define fascism, just for yourself. Where does it start, where does it end? Who and what creates the periphery? As Marie Antoinette is supposed to have said : if they don't have bread, let them eat cake for heaven's sake.........a short while later........well......

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

I understand that, but does that mean they will reassign seats, splitting up families/friends/ etc in order to balance/trim the aircraft? 

No, but it will give them an idea of how much fuel they need.  Considering that they have been doing the weight thing with baggage for a long time and with people getting larger, I think it was an inevitable thing to happen.  

Remember, the same angst that motorists face at the pumps is felt by the airlines.

My question or wonder is if there is a max weight that a plane can safely hold, and if so, what happens if it is exceeded?  Do they tell passengers that we are full or do they start offloading our suitcases to get to the weight?

Imagine boarding a flight with the Japanese Sumo team LOL

Stewardess: Ladies and Gentlemen and people of the LGTBQ+  We are going to be overweight for flight.  The good news is that we will still fly.  However, none of your luggage will be accompanying you. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Thaindrew said:

that's probably where this will end up - a combined weight allowance per person including baggage

They would be better off starting with a less controversial approach, weigh all luggage, carry-on and checked during the boarding process. Then maybe we can stop the nitwits who bring 3 huge bags onboard, yet have no checked luggage. Because I still can't figure out how they are getting on with massive amounts of oversized baggage.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, shackleton said:

I think all airlines should do it

Some people don't care about their weight health wise 

Might encourage some people to lose some weight and not embarrass 

Themselves at the airport ????

Who decides if your over weight  ??

So say I am classed as obese by a  Dr at a Hospital I went to for some years + he was always on about diet...  My present Dr for some years say's I am well built  = height + age and weight = about 8 kg over weight and nothing to worry about...

So which is it ?? I am the same weight now near 73 as I was at 15......   

4 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Never read of an airplane crash caused by heavy passengers. 

I don't think the passengers are the problem, the problem is how much more cargo they can add to the plane that has nothing to do with the passengers. Remember, they fill the planes with cargo being shipped overseas all the time, it's not just luggage on board. So money is the issue, they want more, so they want to blame passengers.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Brigante7 said:

So if I weigh 120kg and my wife is 50kg, will she get a cheaper airfare or is it just another excuse to rip-off customers?

Probably, they will just charge a price range of prices over and above an average kilo weight. Most people will pay more some less that others.

The problem is heavy boned people who can do nothing about their physique.

Edited by freeworld

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Aluminium and carbon fibre..................not much steel.

and another who missed the point. yes i made an error saying steel yet you seem to have missed where i also pointed it out to another poster. 

safe flying. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcastle P said:

The start of charging over weight passengers more and so they should.

What about heavy boned people? Or tall people? Or on physiques such as rugby players?  Its not only overweight people.

Edited by freeworld

5 hours ago, MurakamiX said:

Amazing and commonsensical.
Somebody who is fit and healthy, should not have to pay. the same amount as somebody who cannot stop eating cake with zero care for their own health and consumerism. Net weight for the win 

What happens if I am tall, heavy boned and carry a cake on board.

Edited by freeworld

20 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
4 hours ago, stoner said:

weight is kind of important when it comes to keeping a steel structure flying through the air at hundreds of miles an hour. 

Aluminium and carbon fibre..................not much steel.

OK, weight is kind of important when it comes to keeping a 'Aluminium and carbon fibre' structure flying through the air at hundreds of miles an hour.

This is the whole point and nothing to do with obesity. Knowing an aircraft and loads exact weight will help with fuel efficiency, nothing more. I have been on numerous  short haul private charter flights and they always measure a pax weight with baggage with no discrimination assigned to manage costs.

3 hours ago, Brigante7 said:

So if I weigh 120kg and my wife is 50kg, will she get a cheaper airfare or is it just another excuse to rip-off customers?

They charge for every extra kilogram over the limit for luggage so it seems reasonable to me to  charge for every kilo over the average weight of a passinger. It really annoys me when I have to pay for access luggage when the guy Infront of me did not but is twice my weight. 

• Thumbs Up 2