Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

1 hour ago, homeseeker said:

So this means that "Pension/retirement income(see TaxTreatises)" will continue to be treated in the same way  as before for those on retirement visas.....right(?)

From the AMCHAM post above:

- Any transfers into the country will need to be declared. To avoid double taxation, you will need to file taxes in Thailand yearly and claim exemption.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/comments/16zh3k4/amcham_meeting_on_taxation_of_foreign/

However for Social Security et al under Article 20 US-Thailand DTA, not sure why you need to 'avoid' double taxation as those items can only be taxed in the country of origin whether taxed there or not.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Confused 1

With thanks to Lorry for the comprehensive translation and thoughts on this, I'm still unclear on whether this will relate to 'declaring global income' to Thailand, and paying tax on all of that, or just declaring foreign remittances to Thailand.

If it's the latter, US citizens aside, for most expats here who are non-resident in their home countries, they may or may not pay much/any tax there, depending upon what the income relates to. So if they have foreign savings and foreign credit cards linked to those accounts, and they keep their basic income source going into their home countries banks (pension, whatever), then they could bring in only the bare minimum of remittance of cash needed from UKP, Euro, AUS, CAD, etc.,

By that I mean only remit enough foreign cash to Thailand to pay rent and spending money for self/family and use foreign credit cards to pay for groceries, insurance, restaurants, gas/petrol, etc. If kept to only 80 or 85,000 Baht per month, the tax rate would be 20% on that.   

Sorry if I missed this in the 70+ pages, but I have been reading most...

18 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

From the AMCHAM post above:

- Any transfers into the country will need to be declared. To avoid double taxation, you will need to file taxes in Thailand yearly and claim exemption.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/comments/16zh3k4/amcham_meeting_on_taxation_of_foreign/

However for Social Security et al under Article 20 US-Thailand DTA, not sure why you need to 'avoid' double taxation as those items can only be taxed in the country of origin whether taxed there or not.

So all retirees here in Thailand who stay 180 days in 1 year now need to file tax returns?!?

Please identity precisely the new law or practice which states this?

No need to say retirees are tax residents we know that but up until now no obligation to file tax returns and nothing in the new rule say that is going to  change for retirees.

Edited by zombie nights
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, zombie nights said:

So all retirees here in Thailand who stay 180 days in 1 year now need to file tax returns?!?

Please identity precisely where it says this applicable to such retirees.

That is just a quote from the AMCHAM report posted above.

But at least to me, it seems contradictory say you need to file to 'avoid double taxation' since there is no way you could be double-taxed on social security as in Par. 2 Article 20:

image.png.9c1974e5ef84261eb9a81d254a6329b7.png

Americans have no dog in this fight, since all our worldwide income is already taxed. The only new wrinkle might be, according to the DTA, Thailand has "first taxation rights" on certain income, like private pensions and IRA payouts. But my other US income -- Air Force retirement and Social Security -- is exempt from Thai taxation, per tax treaty. So, maybe I'll have to file a Thai tax return, declaring my IRA income, and paying Thai taxes on this. But, per DTA, I'll just take this as a tax credit on my US tax return, and come out zero sum tax obligation. Anyway, Thailand gets the tax revenue they deserve, per treaty -- and the US pays for it via credit.

Actually, I won't mind paying Thailand the taxes that the treaty says are theirs. Surprised they haven't reached this point earlier. Sharper minds in the Thai tax department these days....? Maybe -- but obviously several sharp edges still needing to be filed down.

For those non-Yanks screaming about no more free ride from somebody's taxes? Welcome aboard.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Americans have no dog in this fight, since all our worldwide income is already taxed. The only new wrinkle might be, according to the DTA, Thailand has "first taxation rights" on certain income, like private pensions and IRA payouts. But my other US income -- Air Force retirement and Social Security -- is exempt from Thai taxation, per tax treaty. So, maybe I'll have to file a Thai tax return, declaring my IRA income, and paying Thai taxes on this. But, per DTA, I'll just take this as a tax credit on my US tax return, and come out zero sum tax obligation. Anyway, Thailand gets the tax revenue they deserve, per treaty -- and the US pays for it via credit.

Actually, I won't mind paying Thailand the taxes that the treaty says are theirs. Surprised they haven't reached this point earlier. Sharper minds in the Thai tax department these days....? Maybe -- but obviously several sharp edges still needing to be filed down.

For those non-Yanks screaming about no more free ride from somebody's taxes? Welcome aboard.

" For those non-Yanks screaming about no more free ride from somebody's taxes? Welcome aboard."

?

3 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

but I refuse to pay taxes to a Government that treats me like a tourist and demands 90 day reporting, TM30s, Annual payment/begging to stay, permission to leave and re-enter, double poricing, etc etc etc. 

Rant over ????

Adios, and good luck.

• Sad 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

That is my reason for not lodging a Tax Return in 2025 in Thailand of any subsequent years.  I stopped working in 2014, and officially retired in 2023, when I started to receive the Government Pension. I still do an annual tax return in Australia and any taxes applicable have been already paid in Australia.  

If Somchai in the local RD Office has a problem with that he is welcome to put forward in writing the reasons for me not lodging a tax return over the previous X years. The immediate result of receiving such a letter from the Thai RD signed by Somchai, will be myself and Thai Wife packing and leaving Thailand permanently. 

You mentioned receiving the Oz gov't. pension. I assume you mean the Oz Old Age Pension (OAP), which by Oz legislation is exempt from Aust. personal taxation.

As is the Oz DVA Service Pension and/or the Oz Permanent Disability Compensation Allowance,  previously called the DVA Disability Pension, all exempt from Oz personal taxation.

Receiving any of these payments probably means any other income is quite small (but I quickly add, that's not my business to assume).

My Guess (just my guess, nothing more) is that Thailand will not 'classify' any of the above payments as taxable in Thailand regardless of 183 days residency etc. And in any case the total amounts would probably mean that person is under the lower income threshhold. 

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

" For those non-Yanks screaming about no more free ride from somebody's taxes? Welcome aboard."

?

Only Americans will be paying no more taxes on their worldwide income under this new Thai tax proposal. Thus, all the complaints we're hearing on this thread must be from all those who have been getting a tax holiday by leaving their home country for Thailand -- and now that door is closing.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

If you don't have foreign income, then you might have to reattribute US income to foreign source. That involves another form in addtion to IRS form 1116 (foreign tax credit) because you would be invoking provisions of the US-Thai DTA treaty. I used to have enough foreign passive income outside Thailand to avoid this issue, but now I have to figure out where in the US-Thai treaty is the wording that authorises that reattribution. Do you (or anyone) have experience with this issue? This involves US passive income remitted into Thailand.

6 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

That is my reason for not lodging a Tax Return in 2025 in Thailand of any subsequent years.  I stopped working in 2014, and officially retired in 2023, when I started to receive the Government Pension. I still do an annual tax return in Australia and any taxes applicable have been already paid in Australia.  

If Somchai in the local RD Office has a problem with that he is welcome to put forward in writing the reasons for me not lodging a tax return over the previous X years. The immediate result of receiving such a letter from the Thai RD signed by Somchai, will be myself and Thai Wife packing and leaving Thailand permanently. 

Maybe you will not be allowed to leave the country right after Somchai discovered that you potentially owe Thailand several Million THB. Easy as chips as you usually leave via an airport or an official border with an IO officer and a computer. The risk is real.

Edited by stat
  • Thumbs Up 2

I guess from now on better to adopt the attitude of Robert DeNiro's character in the movie Heat: "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

If you don't have Thai citizenship (which practically no farang has) or immovable property in Thailand, there is very little they can do when you fly out and never return. 

The new PM Srettha is a real estate guy, I don't think this is good for his business interests. I think farangs will eventually be excluded someway, similar to the Philippines.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

What will happen if that 'application' is rejected for whatever reasons by the Thai RD.  Am I going to pay 50-100K+ for a Thai lawyer to lodge an appeal  - no way - I will just leave.

Well said

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, placnx said:

If you don't have foreign income, then you might have to reattribute US income to foreign source. That involves another form in addition to IRS form 1116 (foreign tax credit) because you would be invoking provisions of the US-Thai DTA treaty. I used to have enough foreign passive income outside Thailand to avoid this issue, but now I have to figure out where in the US-Thai treaty is the wording that authorises that reattribution. Do you (or anyone) have experience with this issue? This involves US passive income remitted into Thailand.

I have the same question.  As I was playing with my HR Block tax software I used each year for my US federal return while trying to complete a Form 1116 to claim the foreign tax credit the software and form seemed geared towards income actually earned/sourced in a foreign country vs US sourced income taxable by the a foreign country such as Thailand.  Then further researched indicated another form might be required which was a Form 8833 Treaty Based Return Disclosure which seemed to only be useable if you benefited from the foreign country taxes replacing US taxes.  And then I thing I saw somewhere else the IRS has a list of treaties that meet those requirement and the US-Thai DTA was not one of them.  Confusing as heck....lot more research/head scratching to do.

IRS webpage talking Form 1116 and Form 8833.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-tax-credit-special-issues

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Well said

Reality is you can never come back to Thailand ever + maybe they will issue an international arrest warrant and then you can never again travel outside of your own country as you face an arrest whereever you go.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stat said:

Reality is you can never come back to Thailand ever + maybe they will issue an international arrest warrant and then you can never again travel outside of your own country as you face an arrest whereever you go.

I don't think that will happen. Thailand is not a very important country in the grand scheme of things. If they start harassing citizens of other countries too much someone will take offence. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

This is currently on the AMCHAM website:

Thank you.  Does anybody actually have the entire presentation of the AMCHAM event on this which could be most useful?

AMCHAM Tax Committee: Thai Tax on Foreign-Sourced Income - Oct 4; https://www.amchamthailand.com/2023/10/05/tax-committee-thai-tax-on-foreign-sourced-income/ )

The screenshot on their website is only of one slide. 

Thank you.

Edited by K2938
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Antti said:

I don't think that will happen. Thailand is not a very important country in the grand scheme of things. If they start harassing citizens of other countries too much someone will take offence. 

There a lot of countries that issue international warrants and usually they are followed through without looking into the matter further by interpol. However unlikely it may be (I think it is) the risk is real and the consequences very dire, keep that in mind everyone.

https://assembly.coe.int/nw/xml/XRef/Xref-XML2HTML-en.asp?fileid=23524&lang=en

Edited by stat
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, stat said:

There a lot of countries that issue international warrants and usually they are followed through without looking into the matter further by interpol. However unlikely it may be (I think it is) the risk is real and the consequences very dire, keep that in mind everyone.

https://assembly.coe.int/nw/xml/XRef/Xref-XML2HTML-en.asp?fileid=23524&lang=en

Correct. 

And you wouldn't know about the arrest warrant until you are arrested.

But it's really very improbable.

• Thumbs Up 1