Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

If your not a Thai resident  and have a retirement visa   

I dont believe you pay tax 

Australia has a agreement with ????????

That Australians living in Thailand cant be taxed twice as they have already paid tax in Australia and they are using their after tax  money in  Thailand ???????? 

Be surprised if they do it? if so  a big hit in the pocket to expats  

If thats the case i be paying 50 % income tax to live in Thailand.

25% in Australia 

25% Thailand 

Time to move to Vietnam then 

Edited by maddox41
  • Thumbs Up 2

The program will begin January 1, 2024 and apply only to tax residents in Thailand meaning tourists and short term workers will be exempt. Also exempt will be those who have been taxed in a foreign country that has a standing Double Tax Agreement with Thailand.

(For list of countries with Double Tax Agreement please click here)

It is unclear at this point how this will apply to foreigners living in Thailand on a retirement visa.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Again, as I explained:  if you are from a country with a double Tax Agreement, and if the money you bring in has already been taxed (at the time earned) in your home country or is currently subject to tax there, it cannot be taxed in Thailand.

Hopefully it is true, but usually this is not how the double tax agreements work. You are not exempt, but pay the difference in the tax rates. As both govt and private pensions in Australia are tax free, there is a difference between the Thai tax rate in the appropriate tax bracket, and the zero tax rate from Australia. I always pay the tax rate differences for dividends earned in foreign countries which have double tax treaty with Australia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“…those that have earnings from occupation or business abroad or wealth that is located abroad…and has brought these assets into Thailand…

2 hours ago, seajae said:

so does this mean all incoming money transfers from abroad, if so will they will be taxing pensions as well when they are transferred from other countries, sounds

Then I pay from my Wise bank account abroad in Thai currency with the credit card all bills:).

Savings in Thailand ?

800k on saving account they can tax and they do already.

Youtubers might get a problem with their “work” in Thailand.

Transfer of funds?

Will be reduced same as FDI

Option:

Vietnam

I dont care

Why?

I am not a tax resident so as many others are also not

Edited by Tom H
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Are you including Thai Immigration's Inquisition-like examinations as a government "service" we are using?

Yes, I'm sure the income from applicants fees do not entirely cover the huge bureaucracy, infrastructure and maintenance costs in and around immigration.

• Haha 1

If the subject of the OP is a correct interpretation of the new guideline, which includes the words “tax residents”, then it only applies to residents in Thailand who regularly pay tax on their income in Thailand.

Thus, mainly it would apply to Thai citizens and foreigners working in Thailand who do pay tax on income and are defined as “tax residents”. Therefore, that would not apply to foreign retirees who are not tax residents and who are not earning an income in Thailand.

It could eventually apply to retired foreigners who show a pension income to satisfy the financial

requirements for retirement visas, but that remains to be seen. 

If they change the classification of “tax residents” to include retirees who reside in Thailand for over 183 days per year then that could change things a bit more, but seemingly unlikely. 

Also, unlikely any new legislation would ever apply to money transferred into Thai bank accounts by foreigners from a source abroad or the money would simply stop coming in. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I've always thought that the guys using the >65K pm income method for their retirement extensions are leaving themselves open to having to pay tax on it.

Obviously some income streams like state pensions may be exempt but private pensions would seem to be fair game, even if they've already paid tax on the income in their home countries. 

Good question here:

- How does this affect state pensions being sent into Thailand, especially if it's a pension not subject to personal tax in the home country?

So those of us who have dividend paying shares which are taxed and those of us who pay withholding tax via our savings in bank accounts don't have to worry, subject to our country having a tax treaty with Thailand.

So not a problem for me, and I can't see them taxing pensioners either.

Also exempt will be those who have been taxed in a foreign country that has a standing Double Tax Agreement with Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 2

Itsoynds like this would only apply to people that are already working and paying taxes in Thailand. They would add the incoming funds to your Thai income. 

It shouldn't affect anyone that is retired.

However if you have a work permit you will have to pay taxes even if these funds are from a retirement plan back home. 

That would suck big time.

• Thumbs Up 1