Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

Slightly off topic but I worked here legally for several years and did a tax return every year - then I "retired" (non O visa extension) currently I am over the Thai retirenment age and since then I have not submitted any tax returns. 2 Qs:

1. should I have?

2. will I have to or will (as I guess they will) use the banks to deduct any tax as money from abroad enters the country?

5 hours ago, James105 said:

I'm 99.99% sure I am getting caught up in this as since I am no longer a UK tax resident and get income in the form of royalties for work I published years ago, I am not paying personal tax on this income as I use the loophole of only bringing in income earned overseas from prior years, and I have been in Thailand for over 3 years now so would be considered a tax resident.  I send myself 100k-200k a month for living expenses and whether the announcement was confusing or not, I am in no doubt this will become taxable from next year.   

I believe you are correct. If you are a non-resident for tax purposes in the UK then terms of DTA will not apply and what you describe is clearly assessable income.

Things you might do are:

1. Make a large enough transfer in before the end of the year to tide you over for a while you sort out next move.

2. If you have other funds that can either be classified as savings (on already taxed income)  OR as already taxed in UK, bring those in and cease transferring in royalty income. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vukovar77 said:

Taxing pensions double if tax is aready payed in home country is very bad deccision ,from my point of view.

You cannot be subject to double taxation on pension or anything else if there is a tax treaty between your country and Thailand.

The big problem is for people who  ard non resident for tax purposes in their home countey and have income which is assessable under thd Thai Revenue code. 

We have actually heard from some who prefer to be subject to taxes in Thailand because rates are lower than in their home country. For others the opposite might apply in which case they might want to consider whether they can legally claim tax residency in their home country (assuming there is a DTA). 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

The latest ruling says any prior rulings that contradict it are rescinded. Thus the 2023 ruling that overseas savings are not taxable could be deemed as rescinded. Savings are prior years earnings which the latest duly says are taxable without time limit.

2003 not 2023.

And as the latest ruling makes no statement about overseas savings of foreign residents I can't see how it would be rescinded. 

• Like 2

I pay tax here and in my home country, which has a tax agreement with Thailand, but the tax I pay here is on what is annually transferred of the pension the amount I not transfer is taxed in home country, but does this new regulation possible also mean that we have to pay tax on interest of savings placed in the home country and are savings that have never been near Thailand and will never come near Thailand? 

Thanks

Felt

46 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Slightly off topic but I worked here legally for several years and did a tax return every year - then I "retired" (non O visa extension) currently I am over the Thai retirenment age and since then I have not submitted any tax returns. 2 Qs:

1. should I have?

2. will I have to or will (as I guess they will) use the banks to deduct any tax as money from abroad enters the country?

1. If you are asking should you have submitted a Thai tax return, the answer is no unless you were transferring in passive or active income in the same year it was earned or had income from Thai sources. 

2. If you will be newly bringing in passive or earned income that is not exempt under the terms of a DTA between Thailand and your home country then to my reading yes, you'll be  legally required to file.  If you will  bring in funds exempt under the terms of a DTA then I would say no, unless it becomes a requirement to show a tax return for visa extension purpoes (not currently the case).  If bringing in savings it is less clear cut at this time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You cannot be subject to double taxation on pension or anything else if there is a tax treaty between your country and Thailand.

The big problem is for people who  ard non resident for tax purposes in their home countey and have income which is assessable under thd Thai Revenue code. 

We have actually heard from some who prefer to be subject to taxes in Thailand because rates are lower than in their home country. For others the opposite might apply in which case they might want to consider whether they can legally claim tax residency in their home country (assuming there is a DTA). 

In Thailand you "can not be sure" that you will not pay taxes on any income from abroad.You can file an appeal after the "verdict".Of course it is against treaty of double taxation if tax is already payed,but You need to see all the items of the each contract.I hope they will rethink before make any move about expat taxation.And what about savings???Many people live from savings on which thay pay all taxes before?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

I pay tax here and in my home country, which has a tax agreement with Thailand, but the tax I pay here is on what is annually transferred of the pension the amount I not transfer is taxed in home country, but does this new regulation possible also mean that we have to pay tax on interest of savings placed in the home country and are savings that have never been near Thailand and will never come near Thailand? 

Thanks

Felt

The new rule applies only to funds brought into Thailand. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Yep ever since the first crackdown on the monthly visia runners to Cambodia this forum has had plenty of members that gloated and mocked anyone who had a lesser visa than them....But its gotten more quiet as the Non-O started to recive a few adjustments........lol

I can't imagine AN's "good" falangs will have any objection to paying their taxes.

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The new rule applies only to funds brought into Thailand. 

Thanks Sheryl. I hope you are absolutely right and that interest on savings (inherited many moons ago) that has never been touched and as mentioned placed in the home country will not be affected, but the tax man is IMO a trickster so I will keep myself updated in the coming months.

Felt

21 minutes ago, RupertIII said:

Don't know if this has already been posted but a useful site for tax info - https://sherrings.com/assessable-income-foreign-sources-thailand.html

Sheryl - I believe you mentioned in an earlier post a Tax Ruling in 2003. The above also covers that.

YEAH,That is important rule!So,it seems they change rules already without new law !!!!

10 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The difference is that they have made people frantic wondering how they are going to survive in Thailand with their overseas savings taxed as income by some greedy boneheads trying to make others pay for their vote buying, so they can stay in power enriching themselves with corruption.

You are wrong.

"They" have not made people frantic, some people have made themselves frantic.

The issue has been blown out of proportion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, transam said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned here or elsewhere, but there is even more cr@p for some in the pipeline with a Barklays Bank account, unless you have 100,000 quid to stash............????

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/barclays-debank-british-expats-134809331.html

If you don't have 100k you can opt to pay 40 pounds a month and keep your account - not quite the same thing as being forced to close the account

10 minutes ago, mokwit said:

People here have been calling for tighter visa requirements to keep the riff raf out and it seems their wish has been granted.

I'll go further. What of the people who were celebrating getting rid of Prayuth--at any price?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

...If you claim for an operation in Thailand on your overseas insurance policy, will the remittance either to you directly or the hospital trigger off a tax demand due to income receive from overseas?...

No, it won't. 

• Like 2